Test Rugby 2015 Rugby World Cup Final: New Zealand v Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually it does.

You want to reduce the reward for executing a fairly difficult skill? Silly.

I'd rather they fix how long it took to get the scrum down to the penalty kick. Lost a lot of game time.

Actually it does.

You want to reduce the reward for executing a fairly difficult skill? Silly.

Carter didn't make it look too difficult with his success rate tonight.

Regardless, the obvious argument to your point is to suggest that crossing the line is a far more difficult skill, so it is less about reducing the reward for kicking, and more about increasing the reward for scoring a try.

Is Folau s**t at two sports?

All I saw him do tonight was kick the ball straight to the ABs. Maybe I just don't understand the sport enough.

But they were such good kicks, you can see how all that time at GWS helped him

All I saw him do tonight was kick the ball straight to the ABs. Maybe I just don't understand the sport enough.
In your defense for blokes who don't watch the kicking side is the most confusing/infuriating thing.

In answer to your question though. No he's quite good at this and had a fairly decent game tonight.

Again congrats Kiwis. But this dominance is only killing this sport
Don't agree.
We need to get better. If that means offering heaps of $$ and poaching their kids so be it.
We have been sitting on our hands for too long now.
Credit to the Kiwis they are only good at 1 sport in the world but geez they are good at it

He has been playing well at club level, looks like a natural out there. But tonight, not so much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Folau hasn't been fit most of the tournament. We probably had to play him and hope he was at his best to beat the ABs - but he had no speed or sidestep for the last few games. It was a gamble - didn't work.

A year ago, some were calling him the best full-back in the world.

Regardless, the obvious argument to your point is to suggest that crossing the line is a far more difficult skill, so it is less about reducing the reward for kicking, and more about increasing the reward for scoring a try.

They try it with some new rules a few years ago, the Northern Hemisphere teams kyboshed it as they love scrummaging and forward play, over backs and wingers.

The penalties have to be severe because of the technicalities in the game - if you have weak penalties, the breakdown will become and absolute shambles.

Carters a freak and has spent hours upon hours perfecting that skill.

The try is harder and is scored as such. Reduce kicking points and watch a lot more cheaper penalties be given away by teams.

They try it with some new rules a few years ago, the Northern Hemisphere teams kyboshed it as they love scrummaging and forward play, over backs and wingers.

The penalties have to be severe because of the technicalities in the game - if you have weak penalties, the breakdown will become and absolute shambles.
Unfortunately each ref seems to bring their own technicalities to the breakdown.

Consistently needs to be found, and sadly we see such inconsistency in one game, let alone across a tournament.

Key moments;

Douglas injury.
Giteau injury.
Missed forward pass.
Obstruction not paid.
Smith off.
Mitchell dropping the ball almost every time he touched it.
Kicking it away constantly.
Carter being Carter.

They did well to shut down our loose forwards - we had that ~15 minute period of dominance which was built on them being a man down and Pocock/Fardy/Hooper getting on top; but apart from that period, they shut them down very effectively.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back