Test Rugby 2015 Rugby World Cup Final: New Zealand v Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Folau s**t at two sports?

All I saw him do tonight was kick the ball straight to the ABs. Maybe I just don't understand the sport enough.
Folau was decent to good tonight, kicking was mostly to advantage. He's struggled throughout the tournament though with injury.

No it isn't.

They're absolute champions - watching the best team in the world do their thing should be a pleasure.
Agreed. Quoted post is well of the mark - and further to the point, this current Wallabies side is on paper possible even better than the All Blacks, but the All Blacks will continue to get the job done so long as only they are capable of the intangibles (the way they move the ball so quickly on both sides, keep it off the ground and avoid the breakdowns, win 99% of lineouts, etc) that turn a lot of great players into a team. They tackled a lot better than we did for the majority of the night and ultimately you're not going to win many games of rugby when you can't make and stick the tackles which we failed to do once Douglas and then Giteau (possibly our two best tacklers) did.
Really quite proud of that second half and Moore spoke very well just then.

Well done Wallabies.
Moore just sounded bored with another loss to the All Blacks I thought. Needed more rage.

Disagree, watching one team dominate a sport is just bloody embarrassing, same goes with the USA with baseball & basketball.
7 different MLB World Champions in last 10 years and 6 different NBA champs in last 10 years, pretty even comps IMO

Key moments;

Douglas injury.

That was it for me. So at the 15-minute mark this happened:

1. We lost our key line-out man. Result: we get smashed in the lineouts all game. Lost pssession at least 3-4 times. Rarely had a clean line-out to work with.
2. We lose our leading tackler.
3. Mumm comes on, and to put it bluntly, has a right shocker. We would have been better keeping Douglas hopping around on one leg.

Look, the ABs would probably still have won - but that took so much of our structure away at set pieces.

1. We lost our key line-out man. Result: we get smashed in the lineouts all game. Lost pssession at least 3-4 times. Rarely had a clean line-out to work with.
3. Mumm comes on, and to put it bluntly, has a right shocker. We would have been better keeping Douglas hopping around on one leg.

Look, the ABs would probably still have won - but that took so much of our structure away at set pieces.

Definitely had some bad luck.

Yep, our best tackler, our best line out jumper, and one of our strongest scrum performers.

So we lost any chance of scrum dominance, which hurt us badly.

At the same time we lost even break even at the line out, and lost the ability to use line outs as an attacking weapon as a result; and allowed the Kiwis to kick for
touch knowing they had us covered.

Lost a key piece of our set pieces, and lose the set piece, and you'll lose most games.

That's sport, and life, though - s**t happens.

We needed everything to go our way to win tonight - and almost nothing did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely he's not as much of a freak?

I don't think he's quite as good...

Maybe an 8.5/10, instead of a 10/10.

As good as Carter is, it's McCaw's retirement that will have the biggest impact; he's an incredible player, but, having read a couple of books about the AB, and followed them reasonably intently, the guy is an amazing leader, and he's their talisman. They've built the team and it's culture around him; and while I don't for a second think the wheels will fall off, I do think it'll be hard for them to find another Captain of such a high caliber.

Any Kiwis know who is likely to be their next Captain?

All Blacks too good. Dominated every facet of the game. NZ probably got the rub of the green with the ref in the first half, but that tends to happen when you dominate and have all the ball. Plus, it wasn't all one way as Kepu was lucky not to get a yellow after taking out Carter twice in quick succession.

Anyway, no excuses. Wallabies just made too many errors and couldn't get the ball. Lineout(!), kick offs, scrum, attack, defence, breakdown...in every area New Zealand were stronger. Proud of the Wallabies effort to come back in the 2nd half, but it was during the yellow card. When it was 15 v 15 the All Blacks were easily the better team.

Anyway, no excuses. Wallabies just made too many errors and couldn't get the ball. Lineout(!), kick offs, scrum, attack, defence, breakdown...in every area New Zealand were stronger. Proud of the Wallabies effort to come back in the 2nd half, but it was during the yellow card. When it was 15 v 15 the All Blacks were easily the better team.
To be fair the Wallabies were coming very hard before the yellow card happened, which is part of what led to it coming about. Ben Smith just panicked.

But yeah Australia were not composed and it showed from the start. In part a product IMO of not really playing a game in the pressure cooker excepting for a 20 minute period v Wales. Scotland was tight but only because we played like crap for almost the full 80. Other than that we cruised through. NZ shook off all the nerves playing their worst rugby during the group stage and subsequently having to really dig deep to pull through, then flogged France, and then probably played an ideal WFC warmup against South Africa last week. Australia still had all the cobwebs to dust out and it took us about 45 minutes to do it.

Amazing gesture.

SBW gives away RWC medal.

1446321877764.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back