Unpopular Opinions (Association Football version)

Remove this Banner Ad

As the saying goes, Maradona good, Pele better, George Best. Take the blinkers off mate, he was a class above. Even Pele thought so.

Sir Bobby was Englands best player in 1966 and the leader of the redemption of the Busby babes. 49 goals for England from Attacking Midfield. As Franz Beckenbauer said 'England beat us in 1966 because Bobby Charlton was a bit better than me.'

As the saying goes, Maradona good, Pele better, George Best. Take the blinkers off mate, he was a class above. Even Pele thought so.

Sir Bobby was Englands best player in 1966 and the leader of the redemption of the Busby babes. 49 goals for England from Attacking Midfield. As Franz Beckenbauer said 'England beat us in 1966 because Bobby Charlton was a bit better than me.'
Manc bias but of course you would. You're a manc. :)

Dalglish is better than Charlton. Won far more too.

Ignoring how wrong this post is, is the bolded really something to hold over Charlton's head as an achievement when Charlton's team was utterly decimated by the Munich disaster? The fact Sir Bobby was able to win as much as he did in one of the darkest periods in the clubs history speaks volumes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, I can't have any of those players in my top 5 simply because I never saw them play. Mine would be like C. Ronaldo, Messi, Iniesta, Zlatan, Robben.
There are great players of every generation, I feel if you ranked players up against each other in the same generation as one another then it would make more sense, such as Pele, Best, Beckenbauer, Muller, Cruyff for etc who were at their best in the 60s/70s

This generation is easily down to Messi vs Ronaldo, but the one beforehand has the likes of Zidane, Cannavaro, Maldini, Figo, Fat Ronaldo, Ronaldinho etc, then before those guys were the likes of Maradonna and Van Basten.

It's very hard to have the opinion of who was the best ever as they all were greats, but we don't live forever.

You're all arguing over players you've never seen.

The notion that you have to be an eye witness to a players week in week out performances to understand their stature and importance within the game is just ridiculous IMO. It's history and in today's society we have a multitude of resources and ways to educate ourselves and gain an insight into the individual qualities, achievements and legacies of a famous individual.

If we were debating individual playing traits and comparing a Pele, Maradona against a Messi or Ronaldo in that sense then yes, that would be ridiculous. Using information, achievements, historical evidence and reputation to acknowledge the quality of a famous player before your time really isn't the same thing at all.

I think it's easy for people to think about past players as always playing well because all we see is their highlights. Would anyone know what Maradona did in a game against Avelinno if he didn't score a worldie? No we wouldn't. But if Messi or Ronaldo go goalless for 3 games against Eibar, Celta Vigo & Las Palmas and people's minds will be blown!

It's funny, that Liverpool team during the 1980's is widely considered to be one of the best half dozen sides to have ever played the game, yet you rarely hear any of their star players from that era brought up in these discussions.

Best & Charlton both obviously fantastic footballers and deserving of their recognition in these GOAT lists, but Dalglish is right up there with them.

Averaged over 25 goals a season and probably just as many assists for 12 years straight. 6 English league titles, 3 European Cups, an FA Cup and 4 League Cups. He was the clear standout player and architect/conductor of a side that won quite literally everything in sight.

If you want to really know how good these guys were, search YouTube for full match replays of old cup finals/big league games. I was watching the 1968 European Cup final the other week, Eusebio & Jose Torres vs Best & Charlton. Unbelievable footballers.

It's funny, that Liverpool team during the 1980's is widely considered to be one of the best half dozen sides to have ever played the game, yet you rarely hear any of their star players from that era brought up in these discussions.

Best & Charlton both obviously fantastic footballers and deserving of their recognition in these GOAT lists, but Dalglish is right up there with them.

Averaged over 25 goals a season and probably just as many assists for 12 years straight. 6 English league titles, 3 European Cups, an FA Cup and 4 League Cups. He was the clear standout player and architect/conductor of a side that won quite literally everything in sight.

If you want to really know how good these guys were, search YouTube for full match replays of old cup finals/big league games. I was watching the 1968 European Cup final the other week, Eusebio & Jose Torres vs Best & Charlton. Unbelievable footballers.
Fans are probably biased towards their own teams, with many fans supporting sides that are rivals of Liverpool's (Man Utd fans inparticular).

Perhaps because Dalgleish didn't have much team success for Scotland also? He is an all time great domestically obviously though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back