Gym & Misc Member Profiles - Post yours!

Remove this Banner Ad

gratitude. i am currently speaking to them and learning a bit more. i am comparing whey protein isolate against the gold standard of optimum brand. i learned they arent comparable. anyway, for am amateur, cost is important and your recommendation is influential given i dont think the extra bits in the optimum brand can justify the extra cost for me.

Trouble is a lot of companies have been found out their products don't contain what they say they do, a lot will add amino acids into the mix and because they fall under protein on food labels it artistically pumps up protein levels. Bulk nutrients have gone to great lengths to ensure their products are 100% as listed. They will even test samples of other products you send into them.

I def don't eat enough protein, as I'm on the road it gets difficult. I do try and prep some chicken but I can't heat it up, I always grab a 45g protein bar and a few cans of tuna then have eggs and protein shakes when I'm home.
I've found this to be a problem too, often work on weekends (away) so have to rely on what I can buy and most food outlets tend to focus on carb heavy, protein lightish meals.

It's taken me months just to add a couple of kilos.

I've found this to be a problem too, often work on weekends (away) so have to rely on what I can buy and most food outlets tend to focus on carb heavy, protein lightish meals.

It's taken me months just to add a couple of kilos.

i add kilos easily. dunno why it took you so long*

* due to my inability to control portion and refrain from eating shitty food once a week

Good job. Any particular diet you are using? I'm at 111 and will begin a cut in October. At the moment I'm leaning on the keto diet. I've never actually cut (been bulking up for 2 years) so have much to learn.

Mind numbing stubbornness is what you need!

My no.1 tip, eat as much food as you can whilst still losing weight.

Personally i'd stay away from a keto diet, the restriction of carbs completely makes dieting even harder again. But each to their own.

Gday boys and girls, I'm not sure what's the acceptable norm here, but this is my profile and story.

Back into the gym after about a 15 month layoff as I couldn't be bothered joining a new gym once my old gym shut down last year, being a western suburbs boy, I did the odd casual session here and there at big gyms like Derrimut and Doherty's, but I just couldn't keep motivated to go regularly enough as I'd go maybe 3-4 times a month tops and only exercised through footy umpiring, walking and body weight core physio exercises for my back.

So yeah, I have carried a back injury, a L4-5-s1 prolapse and I don't want to go down the surgery route yet, only if I get injured again, so prevention and weight loss is the number one goal at the moment. I progressively put on 40 kgs or so after I had to give up playing sports in 2011. The heaviest I got up to was 168kgs early this year. I started weight training back when I was in year 11 in 2004, just before I turned 16 when I played under 16s footy initially to bulk up and use my strength as a KPP, and I used to be a keen cricketer and indoor soccer player also and I did a bit of PT/instruction work when I was 22-23 pre-injury as a hobby on off days. Cricket was my game however, I used to be a prolific lower grade fast bowler taking 20+ wickets a year regularly between 17-23yo, now I just umpire cricket and footy these days on the weekends to keep involved, I wouldn't mind playing indoor soccer someday again though once the kilos come off and my agility returns.

Height: 198cm
Weight: 161kg

Under 16s-19s footy weight 100-105kg, 96-98kg in preseason normally
Senior cricket/footy weight 20-23yo: 115-130kg (115-120 towards end of cricket season, generally was heavier at start of seasons due to not much cardio being done and more weights been thrown around in winter).

I did a lot of one rep max PBs at 22yo which was my strength prime, but then my body gave out on me months later though
Record bench : 140kg
Record deadlift: 190kg
Record squat: 160kg
Record leg press: 410kg
Chin up max reps: 12

So yeah, back in the gym after a while out, I inflamed my back 3 times over a 15 month period in 2011-12 being too eager, naive and immature thinking it wasn't a big problem. I tried coming back to full time work and sport after 3 months off in early-mid 2011, but I went too quickly, hurt myself at work and at footy training simply just picking things up (a box and a footy) on 2 separate occasions in late 2011 and April 2012 and spent April-August 2012 on oxynorm to deal with the pain and inflammation (lost kilos not eating on those meds, but put it on once I went off them), slept on the floor during that time and for the next 6 months or so. I got better once I conceded I had to change my silly ways and was pain/inflammation free, saw a regular physio and did light exercise over summer 2012-13 with a injury rehab group, then rejoined my old gym in autumn 2013 and trained there regularly within limitations and was able to get to about 150kgs in summer 2013-14, but then it shut down in late autumn last year and the kilos piled on again as the motivation was lost, plus the pressures of life got to me a little (studies, moving out with missus, weekend work/umpiring etc).

Motivation has been a bit of a problem though, as my energies have largely gone into casual work, cricket/footy umpiring and studies and carrying around the extra kilos the last 2 years with occasional sciatica and back stiffness if I'm doing too much or sitting down for too long (a problem at Uni), but I have this semester off and am only studying via correspondence at the moment, so I have more time on my hands than usual, but I have only gone into the gym once a week since I rejoined nearly a month ago and walk only 2-3 times a week (3-5km walks normally walking the family dog) and go for the occasional swim/hydro at the local pool.

I'm getting married in July next year, so I really need to step on the pedal and lose the kilos so finding the motivation now to work through the tough initial training period of getting out of the house and into the gym and getting a solid routine together now is critical. As I'm a big guy at 6"6, my dream result would be back to my heavyish 130kg self by July next year with scope to get down past 120kgs by summer 2016-17 and to a healthy optimal weight range of 105-115kg through 2017 and maintaining it, though 140kg is probably more realistic probably by July next year. My physio has told me just to keep within limitations, so I'm just doing light-medium weights, highish reps of 10-15 of 3-4 sets and working mainly in the hypertrophy phase, I do no heavy lifting or explosive movements like deadlifts anymore, it's all conrolled stuff, whether it be free-weights, body-weight stuff or machines. I always jump on the bike for 15-20 minutes as a warm up and to get a bit of cardio in and my warm ups tend to be longer as I stretch and do some core things just for prevention and feeling good to get into it. I really need to get to the gym 5 days a week or so, do 3 days of weights + basic cardio, then 2 days of core + heavy cardio I think would be ideal to start off with once I get a regular routine going.

I think if I update my status here monthly, it would be a good way of seeing progress, any suggestions here if anyone has had a similar issue to me of managing back problems?

Anyways guys, summing it up, that's my training story and struggles of the last couple of years. 30 is just around the corner, so I need to get a wriggle on and sort out the weight for good otherwise it will just get tougher to manage as I get older and bad habits of comfort eating and a pretty sedentary lifestyle may creep in if I don't turn it around now. Got 5 and a 1/2 months before Uni starts for me again, so I really need to use my time wisely and make the most of it. I have the knowledge from my sporting and training background, just need to apply it.

Last edited:
Height: 178
Weight: 80
Body type: ectomorph/mesomorph
Qualifications in the industry: none

Supplements: currently using: International Protein WPI, Mesomorph.

Diet: Mainly consisting of Carbs/Protein. I like to get 2 fruits and vegetables in each day as well. I'm quite relaxed with my diet though.

Goals: Get up to around 83kg lean for football next year. Improve on my DB Press as I think its lacking a fair bit.
Achievements so far: Gone from 55kg up to 80kg (85kg was my heaviest but was too heavy for football).

Sport played: Football

I think the weight gain will be a little bit slow at the moment as I have a bad shoulder (AC Joint and Rotator Cuff) and knee (MCL) from footy, so I am hoping to be at full strength in around a month or so.

Mind numbing stubbornness is what you need!

My no.1 tip, eat as much food as you can whilst still losing weight.

Personally i'd stay away from a keto diet, the restriction of carbs completely makes dieting even harder again. But each to their own.

I'll admit, it's going to be a little hard to stay away from potatoes, pasta, oats etc...I know my body will probably be in shock and craving them but it gets better as you get used to burning just fat right?

I'm still open to other ideas.

I'll admit, it's going to be a little hard to stay away from potatoes, pasta, oats etc...I know my body will probably be in shock and craving them but it gets better as you get used to burning just fat right?

I'm still open to other ideas.

Honestly from my experience overall calorie intake is key, very low carb diets will allow you to lose more weight initially because you will lose more water weight with lower glycogen stores that reduce with low carb intake. However if you are going to do low carb and get into ketosis, what is just as critical is low-moderate protein intake. When low carb but high protein your body can create glucose from protein. So you will need to be high fat around 70% of your macros from fat, 25% from protein and the remaining 5% will be carbs from veggies etc.

If you love your carbs, keep them in your diet and just ensure your calorie intake is in deficit week in, week out. But try ketosis diet and see how you go, don't knock it till you try it.

Updating this from a year and a half ago. Time flies! I'm 27, 78kg, and probably around 12% body fat, perhaps a little more. Now take creatine in addition to protein.

What I've learned: Full body workouts 5 times a week are best for me. Overtraining is overhyped. If you're lifting a lot of heavy sets to failure, yeah you'll burn out. But if you pyramid your sets, you can get a lot of volume done - and this seems to help me a lot. I should say this applies to strength training - I'm not a body builder, so I can't comment in that regard.

Re: diet, I eat the same food every day. I have no idea why I felt, for a long time, that I had to eat something "different" all the time. I've found a routine that works for me, and eating it over and over again is no problem. Life is a lot easier (and healthier!) this way because I'm never put in a situation where I don't know what to eat, can't be bothered shopping/cooking and end up just getting takeway instead. My meals are cooked for the week on Sunday & I'm good to go. Current pic, along with the one from when I last updated about a year ago:

I'm still grinding. Love it. I've since changed to a push/pull/legs scheme which is working well. I hurt my knee the other day which is a little depressing, hopefully it's nothing severe. Still sitting at about 80kg, this seems to be a comfortable weight for me. The strength gains keep coming despite not being heavier. Re: looks I'm not ripped, but athletic which is alright - better than skinny fat!

Attachments

• August 2015.jpg
    August 2015.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 9
Haven't seen any updates in ages... Everyone quit the gym? :p

Sometimes I feel like quitting :p

But had a good week so far, hitting PB's which is nice.

Got 11 unassisted wide grip pull ups on Monday, got back to 85kg squats (recovering from nerve damage in hip) on Tuesday and did dumbbell chest press last night with 30kg dumbbells.

Also lost 2kg in 6 weeks, hoping it's mostly fat haha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't seen any updates in ages... Everyone quit the gym? :p

I've had some great gains lately...

2882448100000578-3075270-image-m-48_1431220845465.jpg

Thought I'd finally join in and post.

Height: 167cm
Weight: 65kg

Supplements:
Creatine Monohydrate, BCAAs (train fasted), Fish Oil, Vitamin D, occasionally Yohimbine HCl (when cutting).

Diet:
IIFYM really, about to start reverse dieting and slowly up my calorie intake. Maintenance is around 1700-1800kcal (230C/140P/35F).

Goals:
Just want to focus on strength in the big lifts (hoping for S: 140kg, B: 90kg, D: 180kg within 12-18 months) increase LBM and get towards 10% bodyfat.

Lift PRs:
S: 3x125kg, B: 2x85kg, D: 1x155kg (3x150kg)
About to start Candito's 6 Week Program, starting off with conservative maxes as it looks pretty full on.
Size-wise, legs are definitely my weak point and looking to add a fair amount of mass in that area.

Achievements so far: Intermediate level lifts for my size, improved physique but always room for improvement.

Haven't posted an update for a while.

So post grand final weekend I was around the 95kg mark....sine then Ive dieted down to 86.5kg. I've been trialling Neil Hill Y3T program, it's a 3 week program that cycles rep ranges.

Week 1 6-10 reps, week 2 14-18 reps, week 3 20-25 with dropsets, the leg work out includes 3 x 60-80 reps on the legs press. I've enjoyed it as a different style of training.

Id estimate my body fat is around the 13% mark. My short term goal is to hit 83kg by Christmas morning. Long term goal is to maintain 83-85kg throughout the footy season. Next year I will run the melbourne marathon and be around the 80kg mark.

Height: 170cm
Weight: 92kg

Haven't tried for big lifts in a long time but my PR's are B: 132.5kg x 1 D: 200kg x 1 S: 182.5kg.

My goal was to get to 100kg but I've recently decided to get back into footy. Last time I played seniors I was 65kg and lightning quick so it should be interesting to see how 27kg of extra bulk goes. First pre-season session tomorrow.

Height: 170cm
Weight: 92kg

Haven't tried for big lifts in a long time but my PR's are B: 132.5kg x 1 D: 200kg x 1 S: 182.5kg.

My goal was to get to 100kg but I've recently decided to get back into footy. Last time I played seniors I was 65kg and lightning quick so it should be interesting to see how 27kg of extra bulk goes. First pre-season session tomorrow.

I felt the same way about getting to 100 Kilo but as you get older where you sit a 92 kilo is probably perfect. Once you hit 30 that 100 kilo will feel like 110 Kilo if you can be a cut 92 Kilo will keep you in better shape for when age takes over

Remove this Banner Ad

Back