Employment Adult Apprenticeships

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 31, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hey there, this is more an enquiry than anything else, but someone here probably knows more than I do. I'm 24 and only have working experience in retail, which I really don't want to keep doing. I don't have any formal qualifications in... anything really.

Anyway, uninteresting story aside, I'm looking at getting an apprenticeship (electrical) and was just wondering if that is a viable option for me. I don't expect to just apply and get an interview, but I know that there is a three month full time course at TAFE that serves as a preliminary/career start course so if that will help my case I'll do that.

I understand that getting an apprenticeship is competitive, but is there much chance, if any of me getting picked up as an adult apprentice?

Hey there, this is more an enquiry than anything else, but someone here probably knows more than I do. I'm 24 and only have working experience in retail, which I really don't want to keep doing. I don't have any formal qualifications in... anything really.

Anyway, uninteresting story aside, I'm looking at getting an apprenticeship (electrical) and was just wondering if that is a viable option for me. I don't expect to just apply and get an interview, but I know that there is a three month full time course at TAFE that serves as a preliminary/career start course so if that will help my case I'll do that.

I understand that getting an apprenticeship is competitive, but is there much chance, if any of me getting picked up as an adult apprentice?

At the moment , I am looking at doing butchery as an apprentice which will take 3-4 years to complete. However after that I am looking to do a plumbing apprenticeship and when I do that I'll be 22. I now it's completely different fields but I want to have more options for myself incase anything bad happens.

I absolutely think you can do an adult apprenticeship :) When I was doing a test at TAPS plumbing there was a couple of people who were in their mid 20's. Aslong as you have a car to get there and work hard I don't see why not.

If your looking at being a electrician , looks at PEER.

Goodluck

At the moment , I am looking at doing butchery as an apprentice which will take 3-4 years to complete. However after that I am looking to do a plumbing apprenticeship and when I do that I'll be 22. I now it's completely different fields but I want to have more options for myself incase anything bad happens.

I absolutely think you can do an adult apprenticeship :) When I was doing a test at TAPS plumbing there was a couple of people who were in their mid 20's. Aslong as you have a car to get there and work hard I don't see why not.

If your looking at being a electrician , looks at PEER.

Goodluck
Thanks man. Good luck for your apprenticeships too.

i did a diesel fitting one several years ago. all i can say its something i wish i did when i was a teenager.

it may have been easier to obtain an apprenticeship a few years ago when the economy was in a lot better shape. id suggest in looking in to a prevocational before hand & then try and even get work experience with a company, large or small. just get the qualification before trying to pick what company you would like to work for. once you have that qualification you will never look back

i did a diesel fitting one several years ago. all i can say its something i wish i did when i was a teenager.

it may have been easier to obtain an apprenticeship a few years ago when the economy was in a lot better shape. id suggest in looking in to a prevocational before hand & then try and even get work experience with a company, large or small. just get the qualification before trying to pick what company you would like to work for. once you have that qualification you will never look back
Cheers. I started a prevoc course recently and have four weeks left. Seems to be a necessary part of your resume these days.

I'm making a career change from working in disability to an adult apprenticeship in bricklaying, I'm 25!
Hope it's going well mate

I'm making a career change from working in disability to an adult apprenticeship in bricklaying, I'm 25!
Hope it's going well mate
brickies make good money but, due to the strain on the body they do tend to have short careers so it might pay to have a back up in mind.
ps i worked in construction years ago, & i've never seen a bigger bunch of piss heads than brickies and concreters, cracking open long necks and cans of rum for morning smoko:drunk:

That's where if you are going to look for an adult apprenticeship, make sure you like the company you are applying for. Make sure you notice the culture and standards they set, first, probably before even applying. Be careful in that respect. Do your research.

If you did half of an apprenticeship (2 years) straight out of high school but then left it to pursue university, your chances of getting another apprenticeship in that trade or even finishing it in a reduced amount of time with another employer would be quite good right?
Thoughts?

If you did half of an apprenticeship (2 years) straight out of high school but then left it to pursue university, your chances of getting another apprenticeship in that trade or even finishing it in a reduced amount of time with another employer would be quite good right?
Thoughts?

Any qualified tradesmen who take apprentices on - what do you think?

Im doing the exact same thing, currently 28, work in the gambling industry ( TAB ) I am taking the opportunity at free tafe to do a cert II in Electrotechnology. Never too late for change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im doing the exact same thing, currently 28, work in the gambling industry ( TAB ) I am taking the opportunity at free tafe to do a cert II in Electrotechnology. Never too late for change.

just keep in mind while its good to have the cert 2, (i did mine), unless you know someone its extremely difficult to get an adult electrical apprenticeship. i ended up doing a fridgy apprenticeship and got RPL for about 5 subjects with the cert 2 in electro.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back