Thoughts and Prayers go out to France (Information+Thoughts, Debate in the Lounge thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very tragic and my heart sinks for all involved.

But what f***s me off no end whenever something like this happens is the social media bandwagoning of ****s. A bit like Kony 2012 - how many people did you see play social justice warrior on Facebook over that, and how many of the same do you see still posting about it as a cause they were seemingly at the time, so, so passionate about? None.

Kony is still at large.......

lol. What rubbish.

Just a small 2 year slice of the PKK conflict and you can already count a half dozen bombings of civilians and a suicide bomber among the list of attacks by them. They are almost as bad as isis on many levels.

2005[edit]
  • July 2, 2005, six people are killed and 15 injured by a train bomb planted by Kurdish guerrillas, on a train travelling between Elâzığ and Tatvan in Bingöl province.[36]
  • July 6, 2005, a bombing at a holiday resort in Kuşadası kills at least five people including a British and an Irish citizen.[36]
2006[edit]
  • February 13, 2006, six people are injured in a bombing of an Istanbul supermarket. The Kurdistan Freedom Falcons (TAK) claim responsibility for the blast and vow more attacks.[36]
  • June 25, 2006, a bombing hits a tourist resort near Antalya, killing four and injuring 28 people. The TAK claim responsibility for the attack.[36]
  • August 27, 2006, ten British and six Turkish citizens are wounded in a minibus bombing in Marmaris. Five people are injured by two other bombs.[36]
  • August 28, 2006, Three people are killed and 87 injured in a blast in Antalya. The TAK claim responsibility.[36]
  • September 12, 2006, a bombing in Diyarbakir kills ten civilians. The Turkish Revenge Brigade (TİT) claimed responsibility for the attack on their website, threatening to kill ten Kurds for every Turk killed in the conflict.[37]
2007[edit]
  • May 22, 2007: A suicide bombing hits Ankara, killing eight and wounding over 100. This attack was attributed to the PKK and the Turkish army decided to launch a military action against them.[38]

Where did you get the list from - a Turkish government publication, or from one of their nationalist allies?
Almost as bad as ISIS? A group fighting a rebellion against extreme Turkish State violence and nationalism, the same nationalism that also massacred the Armenians and ethnically cleansed Greeks and Jews from Istanbul after 1923? Good one.

May I just suggest that this thread return to simply conveying the spirit in which it was started by DP, being our "Thoughts and Prayers go out to France".

The very fact that the thread has largely degenerated into an argument about whose is to blame for these and every other act of terrorism around the world, provides much of the answer as to why these things occur. Here on this board the argument is relatively civilised. But it is not too hard to see that when a dose or two of extremism is added to differing points of view, the results can be far more devastating.

Every innocent human life lost in an act of terrorism, whether it be through the attacks in Paris, the suicide bombings in Lebanon, the shooting down of the Russian airliner over Egypt or the bombing of targets in Syria or Iraq, is a terrible tragedy.

Life is a gift that is bestowed to all of us, by who really knows why, but whatever the case, in a pure world, that gift should not be taken away by any other act than through natural old age.

If posters want to debate the reasons for why our world is and has been for a very long time, so stuffed up, then start up another thread and go for your lives there; but leave that stuff out of this thread please.

May I just suggest that this thread return to simply conveying the spirit in which it was started by DP, being our "Thoughts and Prayers go out to France".

The very fact that the thread has largely degenerated into an argument about whose is to blame for these and every other act of terrorism around the world, provides much of the answer as to why these things occur. Here on this board the argument is relatively civilised. But it is not too hard to see that when a dose or two of extremism is added to differing points of view, the results can be far more devastating.

Every innocent human life lost in an act of terrorism, whether it be through the attacks in Paris, the suicide bombings in Lebanon, the shooting down of the Russian airliner over Egypt or the bombing of targets in Syria or Iraq, is a terrible tragedy.

Life is a gift that is bestowed to all of us, by who really knows why, but whatever the case, in a pure world, that gift should not be taken away by any other act than through natural old age.

If posters want to debate the reasons for why our world is and has been for a very long time, so stuffed up, then start up another thread and go for your lives there; but leave that stuff out of this thread please.

Hear hear.

Did you know that disabled people in wheel chairs were killed in the theatre?

Where did you get the list from - a Turkish government publication, or from one of their nationalist allies?
Almost as bad as ISIS? A group fighting a rebellion against extreme Turkish State violence and nationalism, the same nationalism that also massacred the Armenians and ethnically cleansed Greeks and Jews from Istanbul after 1923? Good one.

It's from a website called Wikipedia, you might have heard of it before.

So you support a proscribed terrorist organisation in Australia who bombs and maims innocent civilians? Glad we cleared that up.

I'm sure Asio would be very intrested in getting to know you :thumbsu:

Last edited:
It's from a website called Wikipedia, you might have heard of it before.

So you support a proscribed terrorist organisation in Australia who bombs and maims innocent civilians? Glad we cleared that up.

I'm sure Asio would be very intrested in getting to know you :thumbsu:

I'm not supporting or not supporting the PKK. I'm explaining why the PKK exists. Your solution to the extreme State violence and the unforgiving assimilative nationalism of the Turkish state against minorities is what exactly?
As for ASIO, you don't work for them do you?! You seem to believe their assessments of the world readily enough ...

My point is H, that "praying" for anything is the problem.

How many times do we have to "pray" for people or regions before we realise that there is no one listening.

Yes, after reading all that I was tempted to post the gif of Bubbles from 'Trailer Park Boys' staring agog, but then luckily just in the nick of time I remembered that adults don't post gifs.

Anyway........quick, someone bump the Gibbo thread. We'll try to distract him.

Both are unwinnable wars.

Just out of interest, which part did you find most ridiculous, the part that suggested the Arab world were unable to band together and destroy Israel the moment it became a country? which is fact. Or the part that suggested the only option is not an option?

Either way, Sydney has already copped 2 attacks, And it's only a matter of time before Melbourne is hit, and perhaps at that time when / if you lose someone close to you that you will stop defending the indefensible.

Some of the most valued contributors to this NMFC BF board are Muslim, and are the most brilliant kind hearted individuals you'd ever meet.

I hope everyone is mindful of how they'd feel reading some of the posts in this thread. They, and all those close to them, are no more terrorists nor terrorist sympathisers than any of us. They're good people feeling the same horror the rest of us are. If anything, they're just wondering why it takes such horror in Paris to raise the ire of the Western World when they have been enduring worse through the suffering and repression of extended family members and friends for years back in their countries of origin.

Seriously, this is a sympathy thread, and debating the politics and religious stuff is best left to the appropriate board where such matters are discussed at length.

Some of the most valued contributors to this NMFC BF board are Muslim, and are the most brilliant kind hearted individuals you'd ever meet.

I hope everyone is mindful of how they'd feel reading some of the posts in this thread. They, and all those close to them, are no more terrorists nor terrorist sympathisers than any of us. They're good people feeling the same horror the rest of us are. If anything, they're just wondering why it takes such horror in Paris to raise the ire of the Western World when they have been enduring worse through the suffering and repression of extended family members and friends for years back in their countries of origin.

Seriously, this is a sympathy thread, and debating the politics and religious stuff is best left to the appropriate board where such matters are discussed at length.

Was going to bring this up but didn't feel it was my place.

It's all well and good to have an opinion but when your opinion may be extremely offensive to someone else it's probably best you keep it to yourself or take it to a board or thread where it's expected that you may run into comments that may offend.

Will be creating a temporary thread for debate. If mods don't feel it appropriate feel free to delete it. But would prefer this thread was used for information regarding the attacks and people passing on their condolences

If this is simply a sympathy thread and nothing to do with religion why is there religious dogma in the thread title?
Because some people show their sympathy through prayer.

If you actually used your eyes Toes said debating religion.

******* hell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because some people show their sympathy through prayer.

If you actually used your eyes Toes said debating religion.

******* hell.

People show sympathy in lots of ways as has been demonstrated in this thread. I especially like the famous landmarks lit in French colours.

I also think people should be entitled to believe as they wish.

But please I get enough religious dogma forced down my throat on a daily basis without needing to see more of it on the NMFC BF board.

People show sympathy in lots of ways as has been demonstrated in this thread. I especially like the famous landmarks lit in French colours.

But please I get enough religious dogma forced down my throat on a daily basis without needing to see more of it on the NMFC BF board.
Then ignore the religious side of it because there are some people on the board that are religious.

Not saying I'm necessarily a card carrying catholic or anything but I at least have the decency to allow others to express their sympathy as they wish and if it doesn't affect myself or others why should it matter.

Anyway the discussion has kicked off in the Lounge.

Missed the point entirely. The thread title doesn't shove anything down your throat. DP started the thread and has in the post above explained its purpose.

In my opinion,indulging in vitriolic argument in this thread, debases the very purpose for which DP started the thread. That is to express our sympathy and sadness, but only those sorts of emotions, in whatever way we feel in such horrendous circumstances. I for one have my own personal views about where fault lies, but this is not the time nor the place to air those views.

Tiltraise is like
tumblr_lanes2rLcK1qa0w5ro1_500.png

I was ecstatic to hear of the Hobart woman's well being.

The thread title mentions a religious ceremony.

There was no need to do this unless

a/ religion was meant to be part of the discussion

or

b/ one is promoting a certain belief system over others

EDIT My last post here please reply in lounge thread if you would like to continue to discuss.

Then delete you last post. Not needed

Just out of interest, which part did you find most ridiculous, the part that suggested the Arab world were unable to band together and destroy Israel the moment it became a country? which is fact. Or the part that suggested the only option is not an option?

I'll respect the calls to keep that kind of discussion out of this thread, but the fact that your post was deleted tells me DP and I weren't the only ones who found it a little inappropriate. For the record, while I disagreed with nearly everything you said, my comment was as much about decorum. As a few people have hinted, perhaps the 'combative outspoken internet guy' thing isn't the best fit for this thread. Twinkletoes' timely, well-chosen words covers the rest.

Either way, Sydney has already copped 2 attacks, And it's only a matter of time before Melbourne is hit, and perhaps at that time when / if you lose someone close to you that you will stop defending the indefensible.

Wut? Prior to this exchange my total contribution to the thread has consisted of a joke at Channel 7 news' expense, and a brief post condemning the attacks and expressing sympathy for the victims, with a quote from The Other King regarding the futile, cyclical nature of violence. How you've managed to pluck "defending the indefensible" out of that, I have no idea.

The world is an awesome place. It's just these dirty rat campaigners shouldn't be aloud to share it with us anymore.

I don't care if this sounds horrible.

But kill or incarcerate every single person these scum are related to. I don't care if they are innocent or not. If it makes the next lot think twice when they know that every single member of their family will face consequences for thier actions.
**** them

**** them all
What a ridiculous post.

You always hit the mark, TT.

As a Muslim, I've found quite a few posts extremely uninformative and ignorant.

My mother regularly gets abused in the streets because she wears a hijab. Quite often I feel like clocking these suckers but she reminds me that you are no better than them if you stoop that low.

Great post, TT and thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families.

CrazyQ.

Love the French, always have a way with words.

I'm gettting old. Keep getting dust in my eyes nowadays...

Very cute kid and bloody great parenting IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back