Pets chickens

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Teriyakicat took it down the vets.. lady said it's got some virus and an infection, gave it an injection and another needle for me to give it in another couple of days. Not sure what it is but it could have it for life, and not even sure if it gets better about putting it in with the others. Said isolate it from the others because it's often very contagious especially the chicks which I did but I bloody forgot to shut the laundry when I took it to the vets and got back and they were eating its wet food near and where it had gone to the toilet :oops::oops:

Half thinking it may have been to just cull it which did cross my mind initially.. Wonder how it got in, only thing I can think of is it came in on the ones you gave us as they can be carriers but not actually get sick. But then again they haven't really mixed with the Sussex, only very briefly in the backyard maybe a couple of times when let out.
Could be wild birds or even vermin, bringing in infections from wild birds. Hard to tell I think. Particularly as you've now had mine for a while- you'd think they'd have passed it on when you put them in the shared area.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Dead chooks make awesome fertiliser. I always source a few before planting new trees.
Yeah I heard that, almost buried it next to new passion fruit vine but didn't bother as I already had another hole dug.

At least no others have appeared to get sick so far, so fingers crossed I might be in the clear.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah I heard that, almost buried it next to new passion fruit vine but didn't bother as I already had another hole dug.

At least no others have appeared to get sick so far, so fingers crossed I might be in the clear.
want me to dig up the old rooster that died from the heat early this year, Kram? He'd be nice and soft and juicy now, I reckon. ;)

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Gave the old bloke 20 Sussex eggs early this morning, hopefully he gets a few to hatch. I want to put a few more under a hen but I either haven't had suitable safe spot to set them or it has been a chook that I didn't want to use that's been broody.
Is he hatching them for you?
What about Silly 1 and Silly 2? Not clucky just yet?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DSCN0162.jpg

Mum plus 13 came out from under the house this morning. wtf am I going to do with the roosters..

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
My friend just gave me four eggs to put under my clucky silky, I'll post pics if any of them hatch.

I was all excited until I read Kram81's post above - I completely forgot that they could be born roosters. :(

Hopefully I can give any males back to my friend to take back to her parent's farm or something.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Lol. Welcome to chicken breeding, estibador!!

Remember that the eggs will hatch pretty much exactly on time (21 days), so mark it on your calendar. One or two days before they're due to hatch, sneak out in the nighttime and listen to the eggs. We could hear our chickens peep-peeping inside the shell. :) It's such a wonderful experience! And you might hear them tapping away at their shell as well. Get your kids involved, too, if you have any.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
No kids yet Teriyakicat, these chicks will be my first experience at fatherhood.

So I guess it's like a 50/50 split of males to females born, or have chickens evolved some cool mechanism where the majority are hens?

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
No kids yet Teriyakicat, these chicks will be my first experience at fatherhood.

So I guess it's like a 50/50 split of males to females born, or have chickens evolved some cool mechanism where the majority are hens?
I only wish, estibador. I think if you artificially hatch chickens, you can manipulate the ratio but I understand it leads to an increased death rate (males just don't survive)- think it's something to do with increasing the hatching temp.
I only hatched 11 eggs and got 7 roosters and 4 hens. Luckily I was able to keep the roosters. They were silkies and I just let them run around my 5 acres.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

Nah I swear you almost always get more bloody roosters.. Maybe I have bad luck.

Although I did have one lot last year of 5 hens and only one rooster.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
My friend just gave me four eggs to put under my clucky silky, I'll post pics if any of them hatch.

I was all excited until I read Kram81's post above - I completely forgot that they could be born roosters. :(

Hopefully I can give any males back to my friend to take back to her parent's farm or something.
How is it going, should be about halfway there at the moment?

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
How is it going, should be about halfway there at the moment?

She seems to be doing a good job, though I did find one of the eggs down in the bottom part of the hutch one day. No idea how it got there because you can't just roll them out of the laying box and down the ramp - it would have to have been carried over the section with the perches in.

I'll have to set up her own little apartment in the bottom level soon so I can separate her from the others - I don't trust those two bullying hy-lines around babies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back