Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I read somewhere that the first Foo Fighters album was actually a solo Grohl disc with guests and that the Foo Fighters weren't actually formed until after the debut albums success.
Correct. All Grohl other than a guest guitarist on one song

It wasn't really recorded to be heard. It was originally just handed out to a few of his friends. He was then encouraged to put it out for a wider audience. After that he then obviously had to recruit a band to tour with

Grohl also happened to play almost all of the drums on The Colour And The Shape. He wasn't happy with what the other drummer did so he just re recorded them

I think I read somewhere that the first Foo Fighters album was actually a solo Grohl disc with guests and that the Foo Fighters weren't actually formed until after the debut albums success.

Isn't every Foo Fighters album basically Dave playing everything on the recording?

KISS are s**t.
Well not really totally s**t but man overrated to the hilt.
Hated them as a kid when in 1980 at the height of the hype and just as pathetic to see them on Footy Show this year.
I like about two or three of their songs and that is it.
Marketing success though. I give them that.

Not on bigfooty.

Actually yes it is.

The popular bigfooty opinion would be AC/DC haven't done anything ever.

Saw AC/DC in 1985 at Flinders Park. I figured might as well see them before they finish up as it seemed they were at the heights in late 70's and 1980 with Back in Black Album. Last album every had of them was Fly on the Wall. Not bad, but after that nothing made me want to buy any other album.

KISS are s**t.
Hated them as a kid when in 1980 at the height of the hype and just as pathetic to see them on Footy Show this year.

KISS have plenty of good songs, buy they've never had a real classic album like other bands of the era, so you get the feeling the music served the marketing, rather than the other way.

KISS have plenty of good songs, buy they've never had a real classic album like other bands of the era, so you get the feeling the music served the marketing, rather than the other way.

So, in Football speak, KISS were good for depth but they were never gonna win you any games.

Foo Fighters are possibly the most overrated band of the past 20 years. I will admit Colour And The Shape wasn't without it's moments (Everlong, Hey Johnny Park, My Hero) but everything since has been bland and uninspired.

Would still be playing pub gigs if Dave hadn't been the drummer in Nirvana.

Lol what? Not entirely disagreeing, but when you complain most of their catalogue is bland and uninspired, then list the dirgy as * "My Hero" as a highlight, I don't follow.

Foo Fighters makes up one of the tripartite boring/safe rotation on Triple M since god knows when.

Foo Fighters
Chilli Peppers
Green Day
add a few other boring/safe bands, then back to said tripartite formula
repeat

KISS are s**t.

I have never seen the fuss in Kiss at all, they are so meh to me, no substance whatsover.

Jimi Hendrix is not the best guitarist ever, in fact this doesn't exist, it's only opinion. I'd even say that Stevie Ray Vaughan played his songs better than he ever did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair call their first album had some great tracks. Certainly doesn't come close to some of the great alternative albums that came before it in the early nineties like Ten, Nevermind, Purple, Smash or Superunknown though.

Anything after Colour and the Shape is nigh on unlistenable though in my opinion.

Best album out of that so-cal music scene by far.

Lol what? Not entirely disagreeing, but when you complain most of their catalogue is bland and uninspired, then list the dirgy as **** "My Hero" as a highlight, I don't follow.

I liked My Hero, I remember that verse sure was fun to jam on with two guitarists. To be honest after Everlong and Hey Johnny Park nothing stands out as particularly memorable on that album.

I still stand by my point that if Dave Grohl wasn't in Nirvana the Foo Fighters would have been just another band that never got out of their local scene. Arguing the semantics of which songs you like and which songs you don't isn't what I'm getting at.

I liked My Hero, I remember that verse sure was fun to jam on with two guitarists. To be honest after Everlong and Hey Johnny Park nothing stands out as particularly memorable on that album.

I still stand by my point that if Dave Grohl wasn't in Nirvana the Foo Fighters would have been just another band that never got out of their local scene. Arguing the semantics of which songs you like and which songs you don't isn't what I'm getting at.

Nah they'd still be big, but not huge, they'd be only the same level as Nickelback or Maroon 5, basic popular pop/rock. They wouldn't be a stadium band though.

Nah they'd still be big, but not huge, they'd be only the same level as Nickelback or Maroon 5, basic popular pop/rock. They wouldn't be a stadium band though.

I don't like either of the bands you mentioned but they are bloody huge and probably at a similar level to FF I think, though judging the "bigness" of a band is quite subjective of course.

I don't like either of the bands you mentioned but they are bloody huge and probably at a similar level to FF I think, though judging the "bigness" of a band is quite subjective of course.

FF are bigger and more loved than either though. As I said it's still "big". Just not cult of personality stadium tour big.

Mainstream radio and music tv has been really bad since about 2006....

Mainstream was actually at one point tolerable. In fact i believe from the 80s - early 2000s, particularly the 90s, you at least had some good music/bands featured..

Now it's just this void of nothingness and any crappy pop group covers 90% of mainstream exposure..

I actually find it really sad.

At least we have things like youtube and last.fm these days.

But geez, its really sad that this has been allowed to happen..

What are people going to say about 2005-2025 when it comes to mainstream music ...most of it could very well be an empty void..

I could write a report on why the 80s/90s had good music and some of it was featured being a positive for music culture and community etc..

Its not just nostalgia either...

The problem is that the songs that are featured now are nowhere near as memorable or as well crafted as music in the past, and its very obvious that this is the case. The production is there, but there is no memorable song behind all the effects like it was in the past.

Last edited:
Mainstream radio and music tv has been really bad since about 2006....

Mainstream was actually at one point tolerable. In fact i believe from the 80s - early 2000s, particularly the 90s, you at least had some good music/bands featured..

Now it's just this void of nothingness and any crappy pop group covers 90% of mainstream exposure..

I actually find it really sad.

At least we have things like youtube and last.fm these days.

But geez, its really sad that this has been allowed to happen..

What are people going to say about 2005-2025 when it comes to mainstream music ...most of it could very well be an empty void..

I could write a report on why the 80s/90s had good music and some of it was featured being a positive for culture etc..

Its not just nostalgia either...

The problem is that the songs that are featured now are nowhere near as memorable or as well crafted as music in the past, and its very obvious that this is the case. The production is there, but there is no memorable song behind like it was in the past.
I Reckon its just as bad or good as always. It's always been bad IMO. Mainstream anything isn't really meant to good. It's meant to be easily palatable.

I Reckon its just as bad or good as always. It's always been bad IMO. Mainstream mainstream isn't meant to good. It's meant to be easily palatable.

I see what you are saying but at the very least, in the 1990s at least pop/dance music could often be well crafted even if you could describe it as cheesy, it still sounded like a bunch of good musicians created the music, some of the early 90s dance almost emulating the detroit dance sounds of the 80s, with really nice piano melodies and a well thought out vocals and lyrics..

Even rap was well articulated and well crafted with good sampling, bass and drums well thought out..

Rock/Alt music that filtered through to the mainstream was also of a good standard..

Mainstream used to feel a lot more mature and intelligent in the past then it does these days...

I'm not arguing that crappy pop music wasn't heavily featured in the 90s though, there was alot of crap out there, which you need, you do need fun/silly pop music to exist, it has it's place.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back