#26 Sam Weideman - traded to Essendon. Adieu

151123_Weideman.jpeg

MFC: Weideman selected by Demons

When was the last time we had two tall genuine forwards? - as opposed to say one genuine and a makeshift that we just threw forward or a swing man.

If Weideman knows his craft half as well as Hogan knows his (by this I don't mean same type of player) then we have a potent forward line.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Weeeeeeeeeeeeed

Is he any relation to Wayne Weideman (former Crows and Burnie Dockers player?)
Cult hero if there ever was one.

db7095ba-6796-4622-b12b-45bf33910cdb.jpg

His the grandson of Collingwood's Murray Weideman

When was the last time we had two tall genuine forwards? - as opposed to say one genuine and a makeshift that we just threw forward or a swing man.

If Weideman knows his craft half as well as Hogan knows his (by this I don't mean same type of player) then we have a potent forward line.
Ox-Lyon?

Pretty happy with Weideman, don't expect him to lineup round 1 cause he has plenty of work to on his endurance, but will be a good fit for us over the years

Weeeeeeeeeeeeed

Is he any relation to Wayne Weideman (former Crows and Burnie Dockers player?)
Cult hero if there ever was one.

db7095ba-6796-4622-b12b-45bf33910cdb.jpg
The boy from Fish Creek? Would be great if young Sam somehow was.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
And can take a grab.
Yeah i'm loving some of his contested marking ... if ever you wondered what recruiters mean by "takes the ball at its highest point" - Weideman is a classic example.

Yeah he wasnt just taking advantage of the 1 on 1s of TAC cup footy he was actually beating multiple people to get the ball
Very promising if he can stay fit

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Yeah he wasnt just taking advantage of the 1 on 1s of TAC cup footy he was actually beating multiple people to get the ball
Very promising if he can stay fit

And probably most importantly, he was doing it for the AFL Academy against VFL teams featuring AFL players ... not just picking on kids not as developed as he is. I'm really happy to have him. I'm assuming his medical was good, or else we probably would have passed on him, so I'd be expecting him to make some pretty significant strides in both his fitness, and his strength over the next few months (have a look at how broad his shoulders are, plenty of scope to stack a tonne of muscle onto them) ... I definitely think we'll see him at some stage this season.

... I definitely think we'll see him at some stage this season.

With the way Roosy was talking about him after the draft im not so sure, think he will be coming from a fair way back fitness wise and we are more than happy to bring him along slowly.

Ill be stoked if his form warrants selection in the second half of the year.

In the meantime, #pedobear

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
With the way Roosy was talking about him after the draft im not so sure, think he will be coming from a fair way back fitness wise and we are more than happy to bring him along slowly.

Ill be stoked if his form warrants selection in the second half of the year.

In the meantime, #pedobear

Well, there was a fair amount of "backing the kid in" in the statement, but Roosy pretty much always speaks of draftees as if he doesn't expect them to feature too much in their first seasons in attempt to take the pressure off and combat the messiah complex.

I don't see his fitness as nearly as much of a concern as others seem to, he'll be brought in slowly, but going from presumably little training for most of the year, into a full time athlete environment, there is scope for big improvements fairly quickly.

Still plenty to go before we get anywhere near that point tho ... trying to pick a Best 22 in November is like masturbating with superglue ... it'll work ok for a while, but sooner rather than later it will become apparent that you've made a terrible decision, and your member will be an entirely different type of Red and Blue ... and all your friends will call you Gorilla Grip .... hmm ... maybe it isn't just like it then ...

Well, there was a fair amount of "backing the kid in" in the statement, but Roosy pretty much always speaks of draftees as if he doesn't expect them to feature too much in their first seasons in attempt to take the pressure off and combat the messiah complex.

I don't see his fitness as nearly as much of a concern as others seem to, he'll be brought in slowly, but going from presumably little training for most of the year, into a full time athlete environment, there is scope for big improvements fairly quickly.

Still plenty to go before we get anywhere near that point tho ... trying to pick a Best 22 in November is like masturbating with superglue ... it'll work ok for a while, but sooner rather than later it will become apparent that you've made a terrible decision, and your member will be an entirely different type of Red and Blue ... and all your friends will call you Gorilla Grip .... hmm ... maybe it isn't just like it then ...

I think he has all the traits to make it as a very good AFL KPF but he still needs to put on some size for sure. Roosy's usual down playing of first rounders and AFL production in their first season has some merit here.

If he earns a game in his first year fantastic, if he doesnt play it wont be panic stations.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
We have Frost Pedo and Dawes, if this kid plays more than a couple games next year he will be well ahead of expectations

Back