Opinion Post here if disappointed with your clubs draft picks

Remove this Banner Ad

So given one of your mob has already stated he barely attended your academy can you explain why he is an academy kid? At face value it sounds like he left NSW and went to the Ballarat academy? Wouldn't you agree? So he would logically fall into the Vic Clubs catchment areas if such existed. Maybe I'm just stupid - do enlighten me.....??
Didn't he spend one year in Vic and the rest in NSW in their zone?

He was boarding at a school in Ballarat and playing TAC cup every week. How many times do you expect him to make a 8hr trip to show up to an academy session?

IF he playing in the TAC Cup he should NOT be a Academy Player

Lol.

So the blokes playing in the NBA shouldn't represent the Boomers?

Only A-League players to play for the socceroos?

It'd work the other way given he was an academy player since he was 12 or 13. If he's an academy player, you think he should be banned from the TAC Cup.

Christ this board has it all. For the dipshits who post without reading anything first,

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-...-academy-star-and-natural-leader-jacob-hopper

Translated means he's a NSW boy who went to boarding school in Ballarat.

I thought the academies were designed for kids who wouldn't normally have access to an AFL pathway. Living in Ballarat is stretching the rules somewhat but really I'm not sure why you're getting so worked up and angry. Having a debate or argument but don't make personal comments

I thought the academies were designed for kids who wouldn't normally have access to an AFL pathway. Living in Ballarat is stretching the rules somewhat but really I'm not sure why you're getting so worked up and angry. Having a debate or argument but don't make personal comments

Would he have been offered a scholarship to move to Ballarat for a year without having been in the academy for the previous five years? He ended up in Ballarat long after his association with GWS began.

Would he have been offered a scholarship to move to Ballarat for a year without having been in the academy for the previous five years? He ended up in Ballarat long after his association with GWS began.

Is this the kid whose grandfather was a pretty good WAFL player?

Edit: No, I think that was Mills

There is no Ballarat academy. He went to boarding school in Ballarat. His family home address was still in NSW.

Got it. So he didn't go to any academy but was born in NSW. Freo will have McCarthy as a freeby then thanks....

Basically what you are saying is despite calling the board a bunch of dipshits there is zero merit in getting this kid as an academy pick. Because he didnt attend one in either GWS or Ballarat..

Kind of stupid.

Weitering a no-brainer and Curnow WELL worth the punt.

I'm a bit unsure about McKay though. Is he really a #10 pick KPF? Or is he just really bloody tall? Seems likeable, and I sure WANT him to succeed, but I'm badly scarred by Carlton ability to pick talls who fall apart or never amount to anything. See: Hampson, Mitchell, McCarthy, Watson... go all the way back to Livingstone.

It's like I don't dare to dream that he becomes a good player.
Adelaide rated McKay... and they generally have a good history with drafting talls.

Kurt Tippett was their last 200cm + forward and he turned out well. Let's just hope we can develop him properly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no Ballarat academy. He went to boarding school in Ballarat. His family home address was still in NSW.
Nope there isn't an Academy as such but I suggest you do some research on the St. Patrick's elite football program and the Ballarat Roosters/Rebels football club buddy.......100% better than any Academy. There is a reason why so many aspiring young footballers from all over seek to get into the St. Pats program.

P.S. I'm from the Ballarat area.

Nope there isn't an Academy as such but I suggest you do some research on the St. Patrick's elite football program and the Ballarat Roosters/Rebels football club buddy.......100% better than any Academy. There is a reason why so many aspiring young footballers from all over seek to get into the St. Pats program.

P.S. I'm from the Ballarat area.
Indeed st pats havent won the past what is 5 herald shields by fluke. Better football grounding there than anywhere

Who's your best medium defender?

Cheney- not long for AFL.

Laird and Smith - needed up the ground on back flanks or midfield. Brown - a little undersized better on true smalls. Kelly - a good prospect but more of a 3rd tall, plays strong and physical more than athletic.

Chad Wingard has kicked 1, 4, 2 and 3 goals against you in the last 4 showdowns and averaged close to 20 touches. If you want to win a premiership the first thing you need to do is beat Port consistently and that means shutting down the Chad.

Elimination final - Breust kicks 6 on you. Same point.

Doedee needs work on his kicking but he projects as a truly elite shut down defender who can play on anyone below 190cm. Stringer, Wingard, Breust, leCras, they all need stopping if you are to win the flag.
We have Lever, Otten, Hampton, van Berlo, Laird, Smith, Henderson, Cheney, Shaw, Seedsman and Kelly and ALL are capable of playing as a medium sized defender. Some of them are spuds but that's not the point. The point is bringing NEEDS into the club and a 187cm medium sized defender is not a need for our club right now.

We have Lever, Otten, Hampton, van Berlo, Laird, Smith, Henderson, Cheney, Shaw, Seedsman and Kelly and ALL are capable of playing as a medium sized defender. Some of them are spuds but that's not the point. The point is bringing NEEDS into the club and a 187cm medium sized defender is not a need for our club right now.
You are in a bit of trouble if Seedsman has to play on anyone. He's pretty bad 1v1 - has got a good top speed but his acceleration is ordinary and has very little body strength. Also question mark on his endurance imo (or his effort - take your pick).

This'll be good.

How?
Well I guess it depends on whether you view academies as a mechanism to equalize the competition or whether they exist to offer an elite pathway to players who can't access an elite program through TAC cup or equivalent programs. If it's the latter then the question ought be raised.

Look, everyone in the draft is a gun, but I'm more than happy with the Doggies efforts. 2x key defenders and an elite mid fielder - all of which sound like they could play next season and make a positive impression.

Fantastic!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back