Delisted 20. Ryan Gardner (2016 - 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Could the Geelong typo in the heading be corrected please? :)

Also, his name is Gardner, according to the GFC website + Burnie Dockers' website

Yes, good suggestion. The typo brings back bad memories.
And the Gelong typo needs attention too.

I went and "fixed" it when you posted that….

And now I've fixed it again….:oops:

Anyone for thirds?

GO Catters
Ha! Just as well! Count yourself lucky that allrighty + Teriyakicat didn't see it! ;)

He played on Chris Tarrant in Rd 2 of the TSL and kept him to two goals - not bad for a 17 year old.

I read somewhere that he also countered former Hawk No6 (in the same draft as Selwood at No7) draft pick Mitch Thorpe.

Good, needed another tallish defender to develop over next two-three years. Burnie Dockers are a tough bunch. Their ground is basically in Bass Straight next to the old steel works and mate it's cold and hard during winter there.

Not to mention the bike track. Jackson Thurlow got tackled into it and had his faced smashed up when he played for Launceston there.

Funny that the start of the footage has him matched up on our new cult hero
Wells must of been having a great day watching that match.
........I want him......and him......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He looks a good reader or the play and a good kick. I really like how he looked to come inboard a lot. Very Geelong like that.

I thought his kicking was only average - inconsistent. Certainly appears to have good speed and reads the play and fall of the ball well - not sure how his overhead, contested marking is? He represents the definition of a project player. Could go either way.

I like most the way he immediately looked to move the ball on quickly, whether it be from a high mark, or a handball receive. Seemed to understand the game flow and where to position himself before and after disposing of it. Decent height for a big defender, will only get stronger. There is enough to work with there from the video.

Reading too far into it, he seems a quiet character. I did watch it on mute so I have no idea how I could have told he was vocal. Hair looks very sensible. I am keen to hear an interview with the young man.

I just hope this kid can bulk up to take on the gorilla forwards for the next 10-12 years. At 196cm, very quick, and those long arms look like he'll have the reach to beat the big guys, there is a bit to work on for the likes of Scarlett.

I really like what he said to the media:

"It means a lot. Geelong is such a great club and I always thought if I had to pick the top five clubs to go to, Geelong would definitely be right up there.

I know that when I go there they are going to teach me and help me become a better footballer. They have such a good reputation for that sort of thing."

That is a great attitude.

I like how he plays in front, like Egan, Scarlett, even Rance...

Funny that the start of the footage has him matched up on our new cult hero

How big is that forward opponent in the #59 jumper at the 2:50 mark of the video? He is huge but Gardner still stands in front and takes the mark. And Gardner is supposed to be 196cm.

I like most the way he immediately looked to move the ball on quickly, whether it be from a high mark, or a handball receive. Seemed to understand the game flow and where to position himself before and after disposing of it. Decent height for a big defender, will only get stronger. There is enough to work with there from the video.

Reading too far into it, he seems a quiet character. I did watch it on mute so I have no idea how I could have told he was vocal. Hair looks very sensible. I am keen to hear an interview with the young man.
Thats what I noticed ..quick decision..first option and bang.

Hey guys.

Ryan is from the same area of NW Tassie as me, and we played in an U17s premiership for Redpa together about 5 years ago (he was only 13). Pumped to see someone from the same small place as me get drafted! Especially to such a good club where he will no doubt be well looked after.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back