Delisted Jock Cornell (2016-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
He certainly has some good bloodlines.
It will be mentioned many times but for those unaware he is the nephew of the Daniher brothers.

It will be mentioned many times but for those unaware he is the nephew of the Daniher brothers.
Was not aware of that….

Thanks…

Just sounds like an old school player… the kind that FredLeDeux and The rabbi used to watch as kids...

Jock Cornell….

Has that classic ring to it.

Means bupkis of course but hell, get around him!

GO Catters

Good size, looks like he can take a mark and has a great kick . Medium forward who can push through the middle - Hoping he can develop into a big body mid who can push forward and hit the scoreboard. Reminds a bit of Mitch Duncan with his strong marking and penetrating right boot.

Highlights video looks quite good. Decent set shot and uses both feet. Most impressed with his disposal to advantage, every time. Note his size, could well be ready to go, especially with some NEAFL experience.

Guthrie 186cm 82kg
Cornell 186cm 83kg

Where did you get his weight from Sezz? I was trying to find out how he weighed in and could not find anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a start, Cornell is from NSW, so that's snagged him for me! :hearts: I'm jumping straight on his bandwagon!!!

Article from June 2014 -
"Jock Cornell is a tough, no-fuss teenager who can play at both ends of the ground and do it well.

He has a strong build, is eligible for next year's NAB AFL Draft, and is already linked to a club.

And no, it's not Essendon.

Cornell is the son of Julie Cornell, who is one of seven sisters to the Daniher brothers Terry, Neale, Chris and Anthony,

It makes the 17-year-old the nephew of the four former Bombers, and the cousin of current young star Joe, who is forging his own path in the big time.

While his pedigree is strong and famous at one of the competition's oldest clubs, living in the Riverina means Cornell is tied to the League's newest, Greater Western Sydney.

Cornell is a member of the Giants' zone academy, giving them priority access to him next year if they see him as a draftable player.

That hasn't changed where his heart lies, even though the club in which his family is so entrenched has no hold over him.

"I still support Essendon, especially with Joey down there and the family link. It's been really good watching him play this year, and he's been going well," he said.

"It doesn't really phase me [with GWS] – whatever happens happens. It's another year away so I'm not really worried about it at the moment."
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-29/daniher-by-another-name

Certainly does have a great pedigree!

I'm very excited to have a NSWelshman at the Cats!

Watching his video on the AFL website I got a Stephen Handley like vibe. Looks strong for his age, a decent kick and mark, and reads the game well. Welcome to the Cats.

Sure it's Stephen Handley? Handley was a wirey 194-197cm KP player with ordinary disposal - Cornell is a solid, mid 180's half forward with very good disposal. Struggling to see any likeness.

:oops:

Forgot to post his picture -

335699-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

"Jock Cornell
2/4/97
187cm
82kg
Mangoplah/GWS academy
Jock is Joe Daniher's cousin, so he has a strong footy background. He has been played as a permanent forward as a youngster and has developed into a utility type who can play through the midfield and then push forward and kick goals. We've seen that in the TAC Cup thus far, and he recently had 29 disposals and 15 inside-50s for us against Oakleigh. He has been much more consistent this year."
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-26/division-two-u18-championships-matches-begin-next-weekend

Sure it's Stephen Handley? Handley was a wirey 194-197cm KP player with ordinary disposal - Cornell is a solid, mid 180's half forward with very good disposal. Struggling to see any likeness.
From reading on the AFL website he's turned into a utility - dare I even think it? Even dream of Cornell turning into . . .

Just wanted to say congrats on picking up Jock. Was pretty disappointed we didn't go with him myself. Great bloodlines, a Daniher by any other name. Played some NEAFL for us this year and kicked a couple of bags and I liked what I saw of him. Still pretty raw but with obvious talent.

Really glad you guys gave him a go.

More info -

"The 187cm medium forward/midfielder possesses an elite kick and reads the game extremely well, averaging thirteen possessions and two goals a game over the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

He backed up his consistent on-field displays with a good showing at the National Combine, though it was physically and mentally taxing.

The Riverina local started the year strongly, picking up the UWS Giants’ first NEAFL Rising Star nomination of the season after his five-goal haul against Eastlake in round one. He managed seven NEAFL games with the Giants this year, played TAC cup with the NSW/ACT Rams and competed in the national championships.

Cornell moved to Wagga in 2011 and as a PM Capital GIANTS Academy member GWS have priority access to him if they see him as a draftable player. Cornell credits his development and improvement as a footballer down to the professional academy system."
http://aflnswact.com.au/cornell-hopes-to-hear-his-name-on-draft-day/

Just wanted to say congrats on picking up Jock. Was pretty disappointed we didn't go with him myself. Great bloodlines, a Daniher by any other name. Played some NEAFL for us this year and kicked a couple of bags and I liked what I saw of him. Still pretty raw but with obvious talent.

Really glad you guys gave him a go.
Great pick up! Wanted us to take him but good luck!
Thanks guys! As a NSW Cat, I'm pretty excited! Over the moon actually!

I think he's a great choice, lots of posters here have been begging for a smallish forward.

The AFL website said Cornell has developed into a utility, is that correct?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back