List Mgmt. 2015 Draft. Rookie Draft on Friday

Remove this Banner Ad

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just on the Gold Coast News. Joyce was born in Victoria and moved to Tweed Heads at 2 years old. His father is a Richmond supporter and pushed him to play footy. Made his denior debut for PBC at 16.

Sunraysia

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast
Just on the Gold Coast News. Joyce was born in Victoria and moved to Tweed Heads at 2 years old. His father is a Richmond supporter and pushed him to play footy. Made his denior debut for PBC at 16.
PBC must start them young. Think Joyce and Scheer debuted same year (Scheer's a year younger) when Daryn Cresswell was coach. He's now down at Wodonga and has just had Sam Murray rookied to Sydney from his team - maybe he has the midas touch....?

Sunraysia

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast
Possibly the attitude of Budarick went against him too. We are recruiting players heavily based on their personality and attitude, so if his physical performance was as good as we saw yet wasn't drafted I'd say there's a good reason. In saying that, I'm a huge Budarick fan and am a little annoyed we didn't get him.

Pleased we got Joyce though.
Must have had some issue with Budarick - either that or they couldn't justify picking him and MacPherson as rookies - both are height deficient. Would have liked another Queenslander but the Western Bulldog connection prevailed...

Lifes a Beach1

Team Captain
Jul 17, 2013
Northcliffe
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Complete lack of respect for a young Gold Coast local making his way on his football journey, pretty typical of the Suns and their treatment of local GC football.Every 5th comment doesn't make it right and my interpretation is that the Moderators role is there to regulate that behaviour not initiate it.

LynchysMob

Club Legend
Nov 19, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Your obviously Dyson, his dad or a friend of his. It was just a passing comment based on what he's seen of him. This is a forum for opinion remember. Chill out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
Since Gold Coast Suns have been in the league the only 2 players from the Coast who have come through in the AFL not with the Suns are Dayne Beams (left to play AFL earlier) and Dayne Zorko (yeah, they got that one wrong). I stand to be corrected.

It's simple if you are not good enough, your not good enough no matter where you are from. If he is good enough he will make his own way to the AFL.

I'm sure Clayton and co. had ample opportunity to assess his talent and character in the NEAFL and have made their call for whatever reason.

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Can Budarick play as an overager anywhere? For Qld for instance in the 18s or na..
Better off playing seniors?

Anyhows.. I don't see much problem with the Suns drafting Gold Coast talent..
It hasn't been there.. And won't really be there until they invest enough money and resources into the academy..
Next year we look to have 2 gems who have been on the radar from day dot.
Really we should be producing atleast 1 top 30 pick a year to justify spending..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 25, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders
Can Budarick play as an overager anywhere? For Qld for instance in the 18s or na..
Better off playing seniors?

Anyhows.. I don't see much problem with the Suns drafting Gold Coast talent..
It hasn't been there.. And won't really be there until they invest enough money and resources into the academy..
Next year we look to have 2 gems who have been on the radar from day dot.
Really we should be producing atleast 1 top 30 pick a year to justify spending..

I think the QLDU18 team can have a couple of overagers. I know 1 or 2 Lions academy players have been approached/invited to come back as overagers, but not sure how many the limit is or how one is selected. Other than that I'd say NEAFL and stay in the Suns academy (I think he can be in the Suns academy as an overagers for 1 year??) or try out for the VFL. Who knows, he could have a massive year in the NEAFL and get rookied next year.

Also, it is a bit dissapointing but you are absolutely right. Until we put an appropriate amount of time and resources into the academy, we won't see the steady flow of top prospects the other academies are seeing (I read that Sydney invest $1mill a year though a sponsor?) We will still have a gun or two every now and then, but there is so much potential for the academy but we just can't afford to invest or have more pressing concerns to take care of.

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Lifes a Beach1 personally, i don't see my comment as out of line. of course, this is just my opinion, looking on as an outsider, like most of us are. i didn't take up the role of mod to become a robot, yet i still know my limits.

i'm guessing you have some sort of contact with dyson, and if you can provide information otherwise then i'll happily retract my comment.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
PBC must start them young. Think Joyce and Scheer debuted same year (Scheer's a year younger) when Daryn Cresswell was coach. He's now down at Wodonga and has just had Sam Murray rookied to Sydney from his team - maybe he has the midas touch....?
Joyce actually mentioned his football coach at PBC High (Chad Owens) convinced him to quit Coolangatta and join the PBC Lions as he was also a coach at the Lions. The interesting thing about the PBC Lions is that the club is literally next door to the high school. This is something the Suns could really take advantage of. PBC High is well known for producing top line rugby league players like Darius Boyd but I have no doubt they could also produce AFL players, given the correct resources. Also, this bloke once suited up for the PBC Lions ;)

DEL86mC.jpg

Donble

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Villa , Buccs
Joyce actually mentioned his football coach at PBC High (Chad Owens) convinced him to quit Coolangatta and join the PBC Lions as he was also a coach at the Lions. The interesting thing about the PBC Lions is that the club is literally next door to the high school. This is something the Suns could really take advantage of. PBC High is well known for producing top line rugby league players like Darius Boyd but I have no doubt they could also produce AFL players, given the correct resources. Also, this bloke once suited up for the PBC Lions ;)

DEL86mC.jpg

My young fella plays for both PBC and PBC high , they have a good program going on with there AFL excellance program , with this year Joyce , Sheer and Spencer coming from the school . Suns have a good presence as well visiting club 3-4 times this season with local boy Andrew Raines running the show. Heres a little on what the school has planned.

PBC set for schools’ premier league

Posted on Tuesday, 17th March, 2015

Palm Beach Currumbin State High School will travel to Victoria to compete against other elite high school teams in the prestigious Victorian School Sport AFL Premier League.

This marks the second year that PBC will make the trip south to play against other premier AFL Schools such as Box Hill and Hallam Secondary Colleges.

Having recently securing their second consecutive schools of excellence premiership, PBC are looking to take their football to another level said the school’s AFL excellence program director Neil Mackay.

“Our program’s goal is for student players to realise their sporting dreams. To assist the development of our players physically and mentally we want to challenge them to step up to the standards associated with Victorian schoolboys’ football,” he said.

After a successful 2014 school football season, Palm Beach Currumbin State High School’s AFL sports excellence program will return for this season with a new gold sponsor, the Southport Sharks.

“Our philosophy has synergy with the Sharks and their involvement in the NEAFL competition. Kudos to the Sharks on seeing and supporting the bigger picture, developing local juniors,” Mackay said.

Southport Football Manager Jason Cotter explained his support of the Palm Beach Currumbin school excellence program.

“We are happy to continue to support PBC’s AFL program. I think that the results that they achieve with their young men speak for themselves,” he said.

“Supporting PBC’s involvement in the Premier League is also in line with our charter as an organisation that we continue to foster the growth and promotion of AFL football here on the Gold Coast.”

Palm Beach Currumbin State High School will play Box Hill secondary college in Melbourne on May13th and host Hallam Secondary College at the Wally Fankhauser Reserve at 2pm on Wednesday May 20th.

Donble

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Villa , Buccs
Complete lack of respect for a young Gold Coast local making his way on his football journey, pretty typical of the Suns and their treatment of local GC football..
You have your team as Gold Coast yet write this ? really bizarre post considering we spend 1 million a year nurturing young elite talent , to give them a pathway into the AFL , Suns spent more hours in the community then any other club last season mainly at local junior level and have just given young palmy product Joyce a shot at the big time after being overlooked by all clubs in the draft. Or is it a case your bitter someone you know has'nt been picked up ?

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Everyone just chill.. Budarick is a reasonable footballer.. Probably better then your Gorribge , Wilkonson etc.
But size hurts him and so far he hasn't shown to be a dominate little man in the forward half where he would be playing in the AFL system.
If 2016 he does well kicks 20plus goals his half a chance to be drafted.

End of arguing for everyone.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
Anyone know when the rookies arrive at the club?

Waiting for the website to provide some interview material for our newest players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back