Toast New guernsey numbers - OP Updated for 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

2023 changes:

10: Aaron Francis (last worn by Sam Naismith)
18: Jacob Konstanty (last worn by Callum Sinclair)
25: Cooper Vickery (last worn by Ben Ronke)
28: Will Edwards (last worn by Lewis Taylor)
32: Jaiden Magor (last worn by James Bell)
35: Caleb Mitchell (last worn by Barry O'Connor)
40: Cameron Owen (last worn by Malachy Carruthers)

2: Hayden McLean (was 41, last worn by Kaiden Brand)
15: Sam Wicks (was 45, last worn by Sam Gray)
19: Peter Ladhams (last worn by Matt Ling)
29: Angus Sheldrick (last worn by George Hewett)
34: Matt Roberts (last worn by Jordan Dawson)
37: Corey Warner (last worn by Elijah Taylor)
41: Lachie Rankin (last worn by Hayden McLean)

6: Logan McDonald (last worn by Jackson Thurlow)
16: Braeden Campbell (last worn by Zac Foot)
21: Errol Gulden (last worn by Jack Maibaum)
31: Tom Hickey (last worn by Harry Reynolds)
33: Marc Sheather (last worn by Ryley Stoddart)
36: Joel Amartey (was 46, last worn by Aliir Aliir)
40: Malachy Carruthers (last worn by Nick Smith)

1: Chad Warner (last worn by James Rose)
2: Kaiden Brand (last worn by Daniel Menzel)
3: Dylan Stephens (last worn by Jarrad McVeigh)
10: Sam Naismith (was 35, last worn by Zak Jones)
15: Sam Gray (last worn by Kieren Jack)
17: Will Gould (last worn by Darcy Cameron)
28: Lewis Taylor (last worn by Durak Tucker)
35: Barry O'Connor (last worn by Sam Naismith)
37: Elijah Taylor (last worn by Adam Goodes)
39: Brady Rowles (last worn by Heath Grundy)

2: Daniel Menzel (last worn by Alex Johnson)
4: Ryan Clarke (last worn by Daniel Hannebery)
6: Jackson Thurlow (last worn by Jordan Foote)
8: James Rowbottom (last worn by Kurt Tippett)
16: Zac Foot (last worn by Gary Rohan)
22: Nick Blakey (last worn by Dean Towers)
27: Justin McInerney (last worn by Daniel Robinson)
28: Durak Tucker (last worn by Nic Newman)
31: Harry Reynolds (last worn by Harrison Marsh)
45: Sam Wicks (last worn by Angus Styles)

11: Tom Papley (was 41, last worn by Jeremy Laidler)
19: Matthew Ling (last worn by Shaun Edwards)
30: Tom McCartin (last worn by Tyrone Leonardis)
32: James Bell (last worn by Michael Talia)
33: Ryley Stoddart (last worn by Brandon Jack)
41: Jake Brown (last worn by Tom Papley)
45: Angus Styles (last worn by Samuel Fisher)
46: Joel Amartey (last worn by Samuel Murray)

6: Jordan Foote (was 45, last worn by Tom Mitchell)
9: Will Hayward (last worn by Abaina Davis)
13: Oliver Florent (last worn by Toby Nankervis)
17: Darcy Cameron (last worn by Jack Hiscox)
19: Shaun Edwards (last worn by Tom Derickx)
21: Jack Maibaum (last worn by Ben McGlynn)
25: Ben Ronke (last worn by Ted Richards)
42: Robbie Fox (last worn by Xavier Richards)
45: Samuel Fisher (last worn by Jordan Foote)
47: Toby Pink (last worn by Kyle Galloway)

2: Alex Johnson (was 34, last worn by Rhyce Shaw)
14: Callum Mills (last worn by Craig Bird)
18: Callum Sinclair (last worn by Jordan Lockyer)
30: Tyrone Leonardis (last worn by Sean McLaren)
32: Michael Talia (last worn by Lewis Jetta)
34: Jordan Dawson (last worn by Alex Johnson)
37: -rested-
38: Colin O'Riordan (last worn by Mike Pyke)
41: Tom Papley (last worn by Lloyd Perris)
46: Samuel Murray (last worn by Shane Biggs)
47: Kyle Galloway (last worn by ????)

Last edited:

How about Papley takes a number in the high 30s or 40s like any other rookie-listed player. And if he both earns it and wants it, maybe then he might get 17, or some other higher number.

Mate there is a four million to one chance that ALL his DNA is from the great Max Papley. On those odds he has a better chance of being a champion than some of our recruits. Give the kid the No. 11

Mate there is a four million to one chance that ALL his DNA is from the great Max Papley. On those odds he has a better chance of being a champion than some of our recruits. Give the kid the No. 11

Tom Mitchell wasn't given the Number 10 when he joined us and it WAS available and no doubt he wouldn't of given up Number 6 for Josh Dunkley if he had been drafted to us, so why should Laidler give up his number for a player on the rookie list??

The logic isn't there

Tom Mitchell wasn't given the Number 10 when he joined us and it WAS available and no doubt he wouldn't of given up Number 6 for Josh Dunkley if he had been drafted to us, so why should Laidler give up his number for a player on the rookie list??

The logic isn't there

Did Mitchell decline the number 10? I was very surprised when he didn't get it, I assumed he'd made a decision not to take his dad's number (like Wallis and Libba Jr at the Dogs, for example)

Did Mitchell decline the number 10? I was very surprised when he didn't get it, I assumed he'd made a decision not to take his dad's number (like Wallis and Libba Jr at the Dogs, for example)

I would say declined but to be honest there wasn't any fuss over it at the time that I recall.

I suppose everone is different. Some players would really want to take on the family heritage others would want to make their name under their own number. I was just pondering how nice it would be if he wanted & was given the ability to carry on the 11 or 17. If he doesn't want it (it's not up for grabs anyway) then cool. I'm a bit of a sentamentalist & like seeing a tradition carried on so think it'd be a nice touch. Obviously not seriously possible while there's someone else who has dibs on it though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the end of the day, they're just numbers. How you play is not a result of the number you wear!

At the end of the day, they're just numbers. How you play is not a result of the number you wear!
Had a chat with Stevie Wright last year about Parker being the best 26 since him and his reply was, its on your back who cares I can't see it

The logic isn't there

You are right there is no logic. This is about sentiment, tradition and what this club really is. South had some of the best footballers to ever play the game - Nash, Pratt, Clegg, Skilton, Bedford and (yes) Papley. And the worst administration to ever mismanage a football club. Max Papley was a great footballer, sublimely gifted and tough. Only Skilton and Papley could bring people to their feet in the old behind the goals red brick grandstand, at the home ground, as they broke from a pack, jinked and kicked off either foot. Papley could do that - lift a team and a crowd with his skills. He was however treated shabbily by the then club administration and only played four seasons. So what does it matter? Well it matters if we value the club for what it was and what it still is. Numbers on football jumpers count for something because they can and should remind us of the great players who played for the club, identities and links to our heritage. Tommy Papley playing in Max's old number wont make him a better player. It might in a small way make us a better club and be a gesture of acknowledgement and apology to a superbly skilled footballer.

Last edited:
AJ being upgraded to no.2. I wonder what the thinking behind that was? Maybe they want to reassure him that the club has confidence in him returning.

The fact that it was Shaw's number is the interesting part. Perhaps Rhyce offered it to him, like when Jude gave his number to Rampe?

You are right there is no logic. This is about sentiment, tradition and what this club really is. South had some of the best footballers to ever play the game - Nash, Pratt, Clegg, Skilton, Bedford and (yes) Papley. And the worst administration to ever mismanage a football club. Max Papley was a great footballer, sublimely gifted and tough. Only Skilton and Papley could bring people to their feet in the old behind the goals red brick grandstand, at the home ground, as they broke from a pack, jinked and kicked off either foot. Papley could do that - lift a team and a crowd with his skills. He was however treated shabbily by the then club administration and only played four seasons. So what does it matter? Well it matters if we value the club for what it was and what it still is. Numbers on football jumpers count for something because they can and should remind us of the great players who played for the club, identities and links to our heritage. Tommy Papley playing in Max's old number wont make him a better player. It might in a small way make us a better club and be a gesture of acknowledgement and apology to a superbly skilled footballer.
How was he treated shabbily? What is the story there?

So again refer to my quoted post. If it was good enough for Tom Mitchell (and in turn would of meant good enough for Josh Dunkley) then its good enough for Tom. Both numbers aren't vacant, end of story

So again refer to my quoted post. If it was good enough for Tom Mitchell (and in turn would of meant good enough for Josh Dunkley) then its good enough for Tom. Both numbers aren't vacant, end of story
I wouldn't put Barry Mitchell in the same class as Max Papley as a player or relationship with the club. Rather special circumstances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back