Draft Profile Early reports on new draftees...

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Early reports on new draftees at Essendon...

Yestin Eades apparently the pick of the bunch at the moment showing great speed awareness and great disposal, Has AFL standard running capabilities as well so could feature early as we lack that silky half forward/Forward pocket.

Also impressive is Gach Nyuon, Jumps over anyone he's in the ruck with, Well beaten around the ground but in the middle he's great. Won't play any games in 2016 but an exciting prospect.

Over to anyone else who has some inside word or has seen your new blokes at training.

First week only:

Weitering looks like a man already. Has very clean hands, a beautiful kick but did get lost through some of Boltons drills.
McKay looked raw and maybe the quietest of the new group. None of the drills had him showing up anything to rave about.
Curnow looked a little more settled even though he did look nervous. Competed very well and has speed and endurance that belie his frame.
Cuningham looked sharp in all the tight work. Fired out passes by hand and foot to good effect. Very clean at picking up the ball from the deck. Impressed.
Silvagni is slight but does compete like his old man and already trying to smother kicks with his face :) Kicking had some highs but lows also.

Glass-McCasker looks like a brute of a kid @ 198cm. Did some good things but spent most of his time in the 'newbies' grouping.

Sier is a monster and a beast around the contests but really unfit.

Tom Phillips won Collingwood's time trial.

Same with Francis, He's got the power of an AFL footballer but needs to build that tank, The coaches will work these guys hard over the next 3 months, Not going to be easy for em. :)

went to lions training yesterday.
schache- awesomely good set shot, was having shots from 50 hardly missed.
matheison- they were doing handball drills. in traffic/tackling etc. can see why he is classed an elite extractor of the pill. gets his hands free and picks and delivers to the right target. at the end of the session he was mucking around with torps, was kicking them accurately to approx. 65 meters.
will take a closer look at keays/hipwood/skinner/william next time i go down to training.

It was reported in the media the other day that Oleg Markov's first training session at Richmond was the best first session someone prominent there had seen from anyone in their time in footy.

It's only down from here then :p

Curnow looked a little more settled even though he did look nervous. Competed very well and has speed and endurance that belie his frame..
Wore a hat like Walker, but needs to work on pulling faces like his big brother...

412715-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

Good feeling about JGM if he can defend the giants first and improve his disposal second. Big, aggressive and athletic is a good place to start compared to Watson, McCarthy and Bower. Worked for Jamison and White.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wore a hat like Walker, but needs to work on pulling faces like his big brother...

412715-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

Good feeling about JGM if he can defend the giants first and improve his disposal second. Big, aggressive and athletic is a good place to start compared to Watson, McCarthy and Bower. Worked for Jamison and White.

From what I heard about time trials I have a feeling Charlie could play R1 and have a chance for early nominations

There's nothing really to report on him, the new draftees are still being eased into things mostly doing running, kicking and handball drills and some boxing in the last session.

All very upbeat and enthusiastic.

I'm very curious to see how Weideman Curnow Gresham and Lovell perform in there first year more so than other draftees. Feel that clubs rolled dice on these players during the off season and think on most cases might pay off. Weideman injured most of last year but good reviews on him, will be amazing effort if gets to play R1. Want to see how he develops along side Jesse Hogan which is a promising combination

Last edited:
I'm very curious to see how Weideman Curnow Gresham and Lovell perform in there first year more so than other draftees. Feel that clubs rolled dice on these players during the off season and think on most cases might pay off. Weideman injured most of last year but good reviews on him, will be amazing effort if gets to play R1. Want to see how he develops along side Jesse Hogan

"Rolled the dice" on Gresham?

U18 Champs: 23.2 disposals, 6.2 marks and 1.2 goals a game.
TAC Cup 2015: 29.5 disposals, 5.6 marks, 4.8 tackles, 1.15 goals a game.
Vic Metro MVP
TAC Cup Coaches Award
Runner up Morrish Medallist (14 votes, 1 vote behind Oliver despite playing 3 less games).
13 TAC Cup Games, in the best on 12 occasions.
Combine results: 7th clean hands test, 1st goalkicking test, 6th kicking test.
Northern Knights Captain.

Rated 10-20 by pretty much everyone of note. Not sure why picking him at 18 is rolling the dice.

"Rolled the dice" on Gresham?

U18 Champs: 23.2 disposals, 6.2 marks and 1.2 goals a game.
TAC Cup 2015: 29.5 disposals, 5.6 marks, 4.8 tackles, 1.15 goals a game.
Vic Metro MVP
TAC Cup Coaches Award
Runner up Morrish Medallist (14 votes, 1 vote behind Oliver despite playing 3 less games).
13 TAC Cup Games, in the best on 12 occasions.
Combine results: 7th clean hands test, 1st goalkicking test, 6th kicking test.
Northern Knights Captain.

Rated 10-20 by pretty much everyone of note. Not sure why picking him at 18 is rolling the dice.

I'll clarify it. More so with the trading of pick 5 and your second round to get Jake Carlisle and 14 being Gresham

After the Jake Carlisle incident and seeing how Gresham turns out could be a risk involved you have to agree? Especially if Pick 5 and 24 turn out to be guns but I think Gresham will be a very good player

Blues have a risk with Charlie Curnow too especially after his arrest. Was tipped to go top10

Last edited:
I'll clarify it. More so with the trading of pick 5 and your second round to get Jake Carlisle and 14 being Gresham

After the Jake Carlisle incident and seeing how Gresham turns out could be a risk involved you have to agree? Especially if Pick 5 and 24 turn out to be guns

Blues have a risk with Charlie Curnow too especially after his arrest. Was tipped to go top10

Pick 5 turned out being pick 6 and pick 24 ended up being pick 29.
It's easier to evaluate with the draft done, essentially we traded Aaron Francis and Alex Morgan for Jake Carlisle and Jade Gresham. I don't rate Morgan at all and I think Gresham is a huge upgrade on Morgan. Francis could turn out better than Carlisle, I really rate Francis, but at this stage I'd prefer Carlisle because he's a KPD (Francis more suited to 3rd tall role) which we have been crying out for and he's at a good age for us. The incident with Jake doesn't worry me at all, I believe in a St Kilda environment he'll greatly benefit and he's working very hard in the pre-season by all reports. Overall I'm very happy with Jake and Jade in favour of Francis and Morgan, at this stage of course.

(also a minor point, but have heard Saints rated Brandon White at around number 14 on our list and we got him with 41, if we still had pick 29 and we did rate him at 14 like it's been reported, it's likely we would have selected him there. If that's the case we have essentially traded Francis for Carlisle and Gresham). I wouldn't exactly consider Gresham a roll of the dice, but seeing where you're coming from with the whole trade in general now makes more sense.

Likewise I wouldn't place too much concern over Curnow's incident either. A minor **** up but he'll be fine, the question more is his playing ability from this point forward and his dedication.

Pick 5 turned out being pick 6 and pick 24 ended up being pick 29.
It's easier to evaluate with the draft done, essentially we traded Aaron Francis and Alex Morgan for Jake Carlisle and Jade Gresham. I don't rate Morgan at all and I think Gresham is a huge upgrade on Morgan. Francis could turn out better than Carlisle, I really rate Francis, but at this stage I'd prefer Carlisle because he's a KPD (Francis more suited to 3rd tall role) which we have been crying out for and he's at a good age for us. The incident with Jake doesn't worry me at all, I believe in a St Kilda environment he'll greatly benefit and he's working very hard in the pre-season by all reports. Overall I'm very happy with Jake and Jade in favour of Francis and Morgan, at this stage of course.

(also a minor point, but have heard Saints rated Brandon White at around number 14 on our list and we got him with 41, if we still had pick 29 and we did rate him at 14 like it's been reported, it's likely we would have selected him there. If that's the case we have essentially traded Francis for Carlisle and Gresham). I wouldn't exactly consider Gresham a roll of the dice, but seeing where you're coming from with the whole trade in general now makes more sense.

Likewise I wouldn't place too much concern over Curnow's incident either. A minor **** up but he'll be fine, the question more is his playing ability from this point forward and his dedication.

How do you see Gresham, Freeman and Acres fitting into the StK midfield next year?
StK recruiters done well since Ross Lyon departure

Brandon White is interesting case as I think StK has recruited heaps of defenders over last few seasons. I think Jake Carlisle will be ok. Charlie Curnow will shape up having his brother by his side

So from the first week of training:

- G.Rohan has taught C.Mills how a red head can survive in the sun
- J.McVeigh is in charge of shaving lessons. It was their first lesson before getting there gear
- S.Dew is responsible for their diets (we need to put meat on the rookies so they can play AFL)
- M.Talia has taken responsibility to make sure our draftees can tie their own shoe laces.

Thats pretty much the Swans rookies covered.

Last edited:
How do you see Gresham, Freeman and Acres fitting into the StK midfield next year?
StK recruiters done well since Ross Lyon departure

Brandon White is interesting case as I think StK has recruited heaps of defenders over last few seasons. I think Jake Carlisle will be ok. Charlie Curnow will shape up having his brother by his side

Freeman is a wonderful addition. We've been crying out for some outside speed as we are fairly well set for inside midfielders. He's got a strong body and plenty of ability; as I said his speed is going to be very useful along with the fact he's not only an outside player but capable on the inside as well. Very well rounded. I expect him to play most of next season if he's fit.

I still really like Acres and I hope he can force his way into the team next year. 190cm+ smooth moving midfielder. I like his potential but of course he won't be gifted games, especially as well have some strong competition for spots next year. Hopefully can play 11+ games next year and show people why he was rated top 10 quality of 2013 by many until he had some injuries. The good thing about Acres is that he seems capable on the flanks as secondary roles so hopefully that flexibility will see him get some more game time.

Hopefully we get to see Gresham a fair amount next year, despite not being strongly built yet we've shown we're willing to play these youngsters such as Billings and Lonie to success in the past. I think he'll alternate between stints in the VFL and AFL and most of his AFL time will be spent as more of a half forward type similar to Billings when he started, that would be my best guess.

The club has said we have hopes for Brandon White to move into a role on the wing rather than half back which is what he has been described as. He's got a thumping and accurate left boot and is a good height, and so comparisons have been made to Isaac Smith. I think he has all the tools to become a wingman and I ultimately believe he will be developed with this intention.

I'm very interested in Curnow as I rated him in the late teens and didn't think he was top 10 quality, but that may be because of the footy he's missed. Don't think he'll have as much impact as Jake Stringer (he's constantly compared to him), but in terms of ceiling probably a level or two below Stringer's ceiling, which is still fairly good. How many games do you see him playing next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back