Discussion How Will Jumpers Evolve In The Future?

Remove this Banner Ad

Norm Landrover

Liberum Esse Vexillum "Free to be the standard"
Apr 27, 2013
American Great Lakes
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
CIW LAA-MLB;ANA-NHL;IND-NBA;ARS-EPL
What do you mean?
If your referring to me, there is going to be a chrome logo craze that will at least lead to one-off jumpers.
upload_2015-12-5_22-5-19.png

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix

(Log in to remove this ad.)

K... ;)

Firstly, it's not 'chrome'. It's just raising the logos to be 3D on the guernsey. Stitched/heatpressed onto the guernseys.
I thought you were the poster who explained it to me really well? That's why you were tagged.
Well, it's a start to 3D printing... I may have gotten slightly ahead of myself with the chrome.

Sponsor logos in the same spot as the jocktag in the bottom right-hand corner?
Surprised the jocktag has lasted this long.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
And no to massive changes. Not a 'no' in personal hopes or tastes or opinions... no its likelihoods.

Since the 70s, we've seen experimentations in gay-club lycra and short-sleeves (for one half). That's barely a long list of open-minded attempts at re-inventing the wheel. In fact, the only changes we've really seen are owed to the cotton-to-polyester change. Any change within that has been pretty minimal (ie the type of polyester, no more cotton cuffs). Even sponsors have barely changed – they haven't at all since about 1997. The only change since the 80s has been a sponsor on the shorts and a sponsor on the back... that's barely massive.

You don't see Real Madrid capitalising on their offers and having ten logos on the shorts. I don't think we'll see it in the AFL. Sponsors would rather have an 'image' (viewers will glimpse the shorts, or a player's back, or the front – never two at once) all to their own. You dilute that with multiple images in the same space. From there, the worth of that piece of space goes down.

The big thing is aesthetic trends. We'll just see that change. We've seen the pre-season jumpers of the mid to late '90s stay in vogue and quasi-relevant. Since then, light-coloured (Melbourne's all-silver, Port's all white) come in. Then there's gradients, sugar daddy designs, the side-bird-head that the Hawks pioneered. We'll just see clash jumpers go through more and more of these phases.

The AFL was generally five or six years behind European soccer and the US comps. It's probably only one or two now. But we're not seeing much alteration there. The AFL aren't the original thinkers they wish they were, so nothing new'll end up happening until someone else makes something new end up happening.

The only 'major' change I see is the Grand-Final jumpers being taken more seriously.
Have the logo properly sublimated on and like in rugby have the match details printed on under the logo (or in the logo) or above the jocktag.

Norm Landrover

Apr 27, 2013
American Great Lakes
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The chrome I've displayed is "liquefied" in the US, kind of like with championship rings... except single-layered patches
It's not a 'patch', it's hard fabric, sort of like cardboard underneath felt .5cm - 1cm thick sticking out from the guernsey, being "raised".
20151024_185504_zpsxai2xp9f.jpg

20151024_185531_zpsbubqje9v.jpg

20151024_185714_zps1etfssi7.jpg

That's what I thought I was saying in the OP
Full props for using the NJ Devils logo :hearts: but I don't think you and theLoungeLizard were on the right wavelength haha. I think I understand what you mean, though. The championship ring analogy helped.

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Is it noticeable when wearing it?
Like can you feel the monogram sitting there?
You notice that there's something holding back the natural elasticity of the fabric. Here's the view on the inverse:
20151024_185759_zps1uyaow8v.jpg
You can feel it's there but it's not really uncomfortable. I think the 2015 guernseys' monograms were much less "structured" as in they would move a lot more than this monogram pictured here.

Norm Landrover

Apr 27, 2013
American Great Lakes
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
It's not a 'patch', it's hard fabric, sort of like cardboard underneath felt .5cm - 1cm thick sticking out from the guernsey, being "raised".

Full props for using the NJ Devils logo :hearts: but I don't think you and theLoungeLizard were on the right wavelength haha. I think I understand what you mean, though. The championship ring analogy helped.
I have seen these on other jumpers and jerseys too. Just haven't seen them very much so it took a minute or two... The logos like that Devils one, the logo is screen printed on the patch and then the patch is sewn on, this was done to "lighten" the weight of the jersey with the crest logo and the nameplate/numbers instead of having layer upon layer of stitching.

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I have seen these on other jumpers and jerseys too. Just haven't seen them very much so it took a minute or two... The logos like that Devils one, the logo is screen printed on the patch and then the patch is sewn on, this was done to "lighten" the weight of the jersey with the crest logo and the nameplate/numbers instead of having layer upon layer of stitching.
Does it look quite cheap? Or is it fine? I guess up close the feel of it would be unusual, but I understand why they did it. Who else does it?

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers

Is that like what Carlton did a few years ago (maybe even still do)? I've seen the monogram raised off the jumper before

EDIT: Just saw Andonis1997 's post, this answered it for me

Norm Landrover

Apr 27, 2013
American Great Lakes
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Does it look quite cheap? Or is it fine? I guess up close the feel of it would be unusual, but I understand why they did it. Who else does it?
I's actually not bad in all cases. The NBA is doing jerseys for their hardwood classics series now. I have a gold pinstriped Indiana Pacers jersey that is stitched like that without the chrome with just one layer of stitching and a screen printed logo in its place on the fabric being stitched on the jersey.
%2524%2528KGrHqR%252C%2521oQFHdhLeptzBR-UlQzCB%2521%257E%257E60_3.JPG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back