Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Great to hear we will bidding for a woman's team.

“We are excited at the prospect of having a women’s team in an AFL competition and will do all we can to obtain a licence for 2017,” Fagan said.

“As a Club, we want as many people as possible to be able to play, watch and enjoy our great game and we see this new competition as crucial to the long-term future of our sport.

“We are well advanced with our thinking and planning and encourage as many women as possible to attend our upcoming trial irrespective of their sporting background.”

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2015-12-08/crows-want-womens-team

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 7.32.30 pm.png

Round 1: (Sat, Feb 4 @ 4:35pm) Adelaide 7.6 (48) d GWS Giants 1.6 (12) @ Thebarton Oval. Crowd 9,250.
Round 2: (Fri, Feb 10 @ 7:05pm) Adelaide 7.6 (48) d Bulldogs 2.11 (23) @ Whitten Oval. Crowd 7,669.
Round 3: (Sun, Feb 19 @ 11:35am) Adelaide 2.5 (17) d Carlton 2.2 (14) @ Thebarton Oval. Crowd 9,006
Round 4: (Sun, Feb 26 @ 6:35pm) Adelaide 6.10 (46) d Fremantle 3.5 (23) @ Fremantle Oval
Round 5: (Sat, Mar 4 @ 6:40pm) Brisbane 5.3 (33) d Adelaide 4.6 (30) @ Norwood Oval
Round 6: (Sat, Mar 11 @ 6:40pm) Melbourne 5.4 (34) d Adelaide 5.2 (32) @ TIO Stadium (Darwin)
Round 7: (Sun, Mar 19 @ 1:05pm) Adelaide 10.10 (70) d Collingwood 7.4 (46) @ Olympic Park Oval
Grand Final: (Sat, March 25) Brisbane v Adelaide @ Gabba

Last edited by a moderator:
If only one SA team I would think we would be in a better position to further womens football, and sustain the team, however, my thinking is they will hand these teams out as promotional tool for smaller clubs, with a few big Victorian teams to prop up the actual competition.

Good to hear we are going for it though, and hopefully things go our way.

If only one SA team I would think we would be in a better position to further womens football, and sustain the team, however, my thinking is they will hand these teams out as promotional tool for smaller clubs, with a few big Victorian teams to prop up the actual competition.

Good to hear we are going for it though, and hopefully things go our way.
Precisely. If Melbourne, the Dogs are getting teams, you can guarantee Port will get it. Unless we sell ourselves as the smaller club, less members last year :p

When all clubs have female teams, could there be impacts on the father/son rule?

You could recruit sons or daughters from your qualifying male or female players.
Mother/Daughter rule

I think it's clear the game could benefit from having a women's football league. I don't see it succeeding commercially any time soon though. For that to happen, women would actually have to start watching/caring about footy. This is going to require a bit of a paradigm shift and could take many years.

I just hope the AFL is willing to play the long game and doesn't just can it the second it starts to bleed money.

When all clubs have female teams, could there be impacts on the father/son rule?

You could recruit sons or daughters from your qualifying male or female players.

What happens if you have a prospective recruit with both parents being ex-players for the same club, can they combine the games totals?:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's clear the game could benefit from having a women's football league. I don't see it succeeding commercially any time soon though. For that to happen, women would actually have to start watching/caring about footy. This is going to require a bit of a paradigm shift and could take many years.

I just hope the AFL is willing to play the long game and doesn't just can it the second it starts to bleed money.

Please, I hope this was a joke post, because otherwise your complete lack of understanding of the state of the game is very sad.

For a while there just over 50% of the crowds at AFL games were female. It is now just under 50% of attendees/fans of the game being female.

Rory must be concerned that he may lose his "Prettiest Crow" badge.
AFL+Rd+19+Adelaide+Crows+v+Port+Adelaide+mO_2u0millLl.jpg

There is already a paradigm shift with women's footy and it's fantastic - though I don't know how much depth there is for a national league at the moment. The VWFL has massive blowouts between top teams (Darebin Falcons et al) and the bottom teams, and the VWFL is the strongest women's comp in the country by far through the amount of women who move to Melbourne to playy footy if they're any good..

But that will all change pretty soon. At one of the primary schools I teach at there are heaps of girls playing junior footy - I don't remember ever coming up against a girl when I played juniors. Even a friend of mine who played State Women's Football for QLD didn't start playing footy 'til she was 18 (she's my age 30 now) because, and I quote her 'Girls didn't play football' -

Attitudes have changed a lot in a generation, and a national women's league will be great when it happens... I'm wondering how many teams they are planning for the national league in 2017?

There is already a paradigm shift with women's footy and it's fantastic - though I don't know how much depth there is for a national league at the moment. The VWFL has massive blowouts between top teams (Darebin Falcons et al) and the bottom teams, and the VWFL is the strongest women's comp in the country by far through the amount of women who move to Melbourne to playy footy if they're any good..

But that will all change pretty soon. At one of the primary schools I teach at there are heaps of girls playing junior footy - I don't remember ever coming up against a girl when I played juniors. Even a friend of mine who played State Women's Football for QLD didn't start playing footy 'til she was 18 (she's my age 30 now) because, and I quote her 'Girls didn't play football' -

Attitudes have changed a lot in a generation, and a national women's league will be great when it happens... I'm wondering how many teams they are planning for the national league in 2017?

When I was in grade 7 at Allenby Gardens I played footy for Woodville Primary and we had a girl in that team and 2 deaf blokes. That would have been (effing hell) about 33 years ago now.

Please, I hope this was a joke post, because otherwise your complete lack of understanding of the state of the game is very sad.

For a while there just over 50% of the crowds at AFL games were female. It is now just under 50% of attendees/fans of the game being female.
Surely it is meant in jest ... it has to be sarcasm, please let it be sarcasm ...

As long as this doesn't cause membership prices to massively jump to fund the economics for this team.

Getting girls to play is a great idea, but i don't want my membership dollars to fund it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back