Toast Fremantle's 1st Pick: Darcy Tucker

Remove this Banner Ad

We are gagging for a creator off half back through to half forward, so much of our rebound from a turnover or behind makes it one kick then nothing.

Our primary safe plan out of defense is to kick (+25m) towards the boundary, hold up play while a pack congregates up the line, then kick (+45m) on top of everyone's head and hope that either Sandi/Fyfe/Clarke can take the mark or spoil to the advantage of our left footer at their feet who tries to kick up the line to another pressed in contest.

If we have gun kicks off half back with the spirit to take on the game with kicks to the laterally leading midfielder/forward we have quick and clean transferal into our own scoring chances. We scored a lot of goals against the grind of play with quick ball movement around the far side of the ground.

So since we didn't get a contested marking fix, I'd like more of the likes of Tucker's ball use and line breaking because those kicks to advantage will make everyone else look better and guys like Langdon who will run hard into space will get a tonne of linking ball, forcing opposition coaches to play tighter and most of our guys can at least even a one on one contest.

nurries

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo
A general down back that can go into the middle with natural leadership qualities and a great left hoof. Sounds a bit like Hodge to me.:)

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
If we have gun kicks off half back with the spirit to take on the game with kicks to the laterally leading midfielder/forward we have quick and clean transferal into our own scoring chances. We scored a lot of goals against the grind of play with quick ball movement around the far side of the ground.
Sutcliffe was doing a lot of running and rebounding till he seemed to lose confidence to take the game on. Which was symptomatic of the way the whole team fell in a hole in the second half of last year.

Sutcliffe was doing a lot of running and rebounding till he seemed to lose confidence to take the game on. Which was symptomatic of the way the whole team fell in a hole in the second half of last year.
He sure did, we saw a glimpse in one game back at Subi when he was suddenly on the wing, I think it was GWS. We looked amazing.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
I live in the Ballarat area and get along to quite a few Ballarat Rebels [U18's] and Ballarat Roosters [VFL] games. You have drafted an absolute beauty in Darcy, made the U18's All Australian team last year as an under ager after a stellar TAC season as well, not quite as dominant this year but there were very good reasons for that.

What you may not be aware of is the fact he badly injured his ankle late in the 2014 season and missed the TAC Finals, the ankle injury required 2 screws to be inserted and 4+ months rehab and virtually no pre-season in 2015, and whilst his TAC form was a bit patchy in the first half of the season he finished of strongly, still represented Vic Country at the U18 Champs and played well in most games, and once again made the best 22 in the 2015 TAC Team of the year. High character young man with great leadership attributes that captained the Ballarat Rebels this year, captained the AFL Academy side in their one off game against a VFL team and has worked at the club this year as Coach Loader's assistant where his role was doing opposition player strategies and match ups. Very high football I.Q.

Shouldn't be any "go home" factor either if he gets a fair go, has lived away from home [Horsham] for the last 2 years, one as a live in boarder at St. Patricks College as part of their highly regarded elite football program. Darcy also has a very aggressive side to his football and won't take a backward step and because of this I believe he will eventually transition into the midfield rotations, so aggressive he was yellow carded in one of the Championship games for a hit on SA's Stephen Tahana.

Darcy was also a good basket-baller representing Vic Country at the U16's Championships and contrary to your opinion I believe he could very well play AFL this year as he is already well developed body wise as you will see and is a very driven character that has been working towards getting on an AFL list for at least the last 5 years. As part of his development he played a VFL game for the Ballarat Roosters during the season against the "men" and played well gathering 18 possessions.

I look forward to seeing Darcy lighting up the wide open spaces of Subi Oval with his run and carry and lethal left boot.....just not so much against my Crows.;)

My only fear is Ross Lyon's past reluctance to play youngsters when in Premiership mode but I'm hopeful once Lyon sees this kid's preparation and professionalism that will change all that.
One of the best posts in terms of inside information on bigfooty ever. Thanks heaps. The thing that I love about the above information is that in the pre-draft write-up Tucker was described as a potential top five pick leading into season 2015. The fact that he had a four month layoff due to injury leading into season 2015 makes it now look like we recruited a top 5 talent at bargain basement draft pick. An elite beep test is also pretty impressive for a player who had a significant injury layoff in the 12month period before he was drafted. Thanx again. Great info.

Last edited:

Freo Dr

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

HE did but too much was also left to him. MJ injured most of the year and Duffield suddenly non-existent, AP just starting etc. I would be confident Sutty can bounce back with some better support around him. Hill was used at times off the HB, with Bennell coming in I would expect Hill or D Pearce to rotate off HB a lot. Still we need all the aggressive, skillfull rebounders we can get going forward.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
We are gagging for a creator off half back through to half forward, so much of our rebound from a turnover or behind makes it one kick then nothing.

Our primary safe plan out of defense is to kick (+25m) towards the boundary, hold up play while a pack congregates up the line, then kick (+45m) on top of everyone's head and hope that either Sandi/Fyfe/Clarke can take the mark or spoil to the advantage of our left footer at their feet who tries to kick up the line to another pressed in contest.

So since we didn't get a contested marking fix, I'd like more of the likes of Tucker's ball use and line breaking because those kicks to advantage will make everyone else look better and guys like Langdon who will run hard into space will get a tonne of linking ball, forcing opposition coaches to play tighter and most of our guys can at least even a one on one contest.

Great call. I think Weller will play that role initially (2016) with Tucker ready to go in 2017 as Weller moves to the midfield (or as backup in 2016 if there are injuries to Pearce, Sutty, Shero or Weller)

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I look forward to seeing Darcy lighting up the wide open spaces of Subi Oval with his run and carry and lethal left boot.....just not so much against my Crows.;)

My only fear is Ross Lyon's past reluctance to play youngsters when in Premiership mode but I'm hopeful once Lyon sees this kid's preparation and professionalism that will change all that.
Pretty exciting reading your post, and everyone here appreciates your insight.

The bolded bit I think misrepresents what Lyon does. He will not play anyone who does not have the required fitness base, and I understand this is measured by the club. With the dropping of the sub it also has not become any easier for those who do not have enough pre-seasons under their belt to achieve these fitness targets.

The other thing is that while they are building the fitness base they are learning the game plan which is a discipline that has been critical to our on-field success during Lyon's time here.

So it is not a policy aimed at young draftees, but was applied to some slow fat slug we recruited from the Demons as well as to son-son Walters. It will be applied to Yarran, who looks great, but what is his 3K like and his beep-test (or whatever the measures are the club uses), as well as to Collins who may well be the type we need, but if not ready then he needs to get himself ready.

I fully support this protocol as it allows players to know exactly where they stand and gives certainty about what they need to be doing to get an opportunity. In the past our club has been all over the shop with this. Now we are clear.

electricfeel

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
Watching Darcy's presser he reminds me so much of Nick Suban with the way he speaks and looks similar to him too except slimmer and with a neck :p Both St Patrick's boys too and I think Nick Suban was also the captain of the Vic country u18 team. Hopefully Darcy shows more consistency and decision making than Suban. Would love for him to have the same mongrel though!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dump Truck

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I know I'll be going overboard here but some of his highlights compared to some of the other top 5 mids U18 highlights throughout the years (DeGooey, Whitfield, Aish, Kelly, Scully and even Weller etc) seem pretty similar. He just looks to be a top 10 pick with those highlights, jeez I hope I'm right! I can't really see why he hasn't been picked higher considering how many KPF types were picked. Some articles last year were placing him as the standout #1 16 year old so there must have been something this year that made him slide, anyone know anything?

I'm thrilled to have him join the team and think that we've done good steals lately with Balic & Blakely in the last 2 years.

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know I'll be going overboard here but some of his highlights compared to some of the other top 5 mids U18 highlights throughout the years (DeGooey, Whitfield, Aish, Kelly, Scully and even Weller etc) seem pretty similar. He just looks to be a top 10 pick with those highlights, jeez I hope I'm right! I can't really see why he hasn't been picked higher considering how many KPF types were picked. Some articles last year were placing him as the standout #1 16 year old so there must have been something this year that made him slide, anyone know anything?

I'm thrilled to have him join the team and think that we've done good steals lately with Balic & Blakely in the last 2 years.

I hope you're right but there's a lot to like from he and Balic. When some of the elder statesmen drop off we should have a groundswell of players rising to the top.

I can't see Free having a major slide anytime soon.

Last edited:
It is definitely a relaxing and cool pre training ritual.

I'm no fashion expert but Barlows bumblebee bathers are funny as!

I hope Tucker enjoys what Freo has to offer.
I reckon Mick would usually wear normal shorts like the others, but knowing that they're shooting a video has said "righto boys I'm getting the bumblebee sluggoes out".

Anyway, it's a great initiative having the draftees stay with the older blokes for the start of their time in Freo.

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
I reckon Mick would usually wear normal shorts like the others, but knowing that they're shooting a video has said "righto boys I'm getting the bumblebee sluggoes out".

Anyway, it's a great initiative having the draftees stay with the older blokes for the start of their time in Freo.

He loves having a laugh. Funny as.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

The slugos were impressive and I reckon you're on the money.

More concerning is the music. Sounds like a wedding video with the groomsmen doing their pre-wedding day stuff. My sister got married the other day and without the car talk on the way to beach and Barlow's sluggers it could have been cut into their wedding vid without being noticeable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back