Season 2015..

johnnymossop

Senior List
Feb 16, 2012
Toorak
AFL Club
GWS
I think( for what it is worth) one major problem is that 5 or 6 clubs see no way of being in a G.F in the next ten years. The reality seems to be Corowa,myrtleford 2 wang clubs, dogs , unless a benevolent dictator happens along, are not going to be any better than they are now! They may bring in 1 or 2 gun players ( if lucky with recruiting as plenty of duds), but loose the same. And still have their fringe players go to bush footy at $400 a game. Then the question is how to get major sponsors, fund raise. Plus crowd numbers going backwards.
Somehow O &M footy has become quasi professional , where players expect a weeks wages to play sport , but in most cases there is no income stream to clubs.
Unrealistic and as most are finding , not sustainable.
Get the Albury president on here - all about him believe me!!

Massive Merv

Debutant
Apr 15, 2007
Moorabbin
AFL Club
St Kilda
Haven't been on in a while, but nothing seems to have changed. Everything still seems to Albury's fault! Reading back through the past comments and I was interested as to what was written when Lavington poached the FF from Corowa. There wasn't a whole lot written but if it had have been Albury this site would have blown up. And as far as forfeiting when you are meant to play Albury, do you really think that players will pass up on 2 lots of match payments because the club is to pig headed to try and mix it with the best? Also why does Albury have to change comps because they are to good, but the 7 sides that haven't played in a GF in the last 7 years don't get moved to distinct comps for no other reason than they aren't good enough? Albury's record still isn't as strong as Osbornes in the hume league over a 20 year period and instead of bashing Albury direct it at the league admin who are sticking their heads in the sand and doing nothing about it.
So you move the other 7 sides to a district comp and are left with a 3 team O&M comp, brilliant! The point is, footy is usually cyclical, so clubs will usually have their turn in the sun. What's going on with Albury could well go on for decades, there's no end in sight. Then their president comes out and challenges the other clubs to come up to Alburys level......genius! Why didn't the rest of us think of that? All we need to do is go out and find a multimillionaire who's prepared to pour untold wealth into our club.....
Albury would rather continue on this path, beating up the peasants, rather than testing themselves against a similar quality opposition. Personally, I think it would be far better for the O&M to just let one club go, and maybe then add one from another league.

Fruit

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
So you move the other 7 sides to a district comp and are left with a 3 team O&M comp, brilliant! The point is, footy is usually cyclical, so clubs will usually have their turn in the sun. What's going on with Albury could well go on for decades, there's no end in sight. Then their president comes out and challenges the other clubs to come up to Alburys level......genius! Why didn't the rest of us think of that? All we need to do is go out and find a multimillionaire who's prepared to pour untold wealth into our club.....
Albury would rather continue on this path, beating up the peasants, rather than testing themselves against a similar quality opposition. Personally, I think it would be far better for the O&M to just let one club go, and maybe then add one from another league.
Brilliant post. Totally agree with the sentiment.

Oct 7, 2009
The Y Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Albury's record still isn't as strong as Osbornes in the hume league over a 20 year period and instead of bashing Albury direct it at the league admin who are sticking their heads in the sand and doing nothing about it.
The Osborne theory is mute argument, there extended success was mainly due to outstanding local talent (local familes) over a very long period, just as Mitta United were able to do over many decades in the Tallangatta League. If you are a local Albury player you're more likely to be filling up a spot in the 2s

johnnymossop

Senior List
Feb 16, 2012
Toorak
AFL Club
GWS
The Osborne theory is mute argument, there extended success was mainly due to outstanding local talent (local familes) over a very long period, just as Mitta United were able to do over many decades in the Tallangatta League. If you are a local Albury player you're more likely to be filling up a spot in the 2s
dislike button????

Fruit

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Heard a couple of rumours last night. Emphasis on the word rumours so don't shoot the messenger. North Albury are on the verge of signing an ex AFL gun and Lavington have got one of Raiders gun kids. Seems like Aker has resurrected himself again. I definitely hope Lavi can challenge again next season but hope they don't stoop to Alburys level and recruit kids from other clubs. It would just put another knife in the back of this one sided comp.

Fruit

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would be just upset for the comp if Lavi started stealing signing opposition kids which is exactly why I have been upset with Albury in the past. I have always had a soft spot for Lavi because they have always spoken about how good their junior structure is and the kids they've bought through and now potentially throw all the good work out the window if it's true.

Beagle27

Rookie
Oct 15, 2007
Wodonga
AFL Club
Sydney
Seriously. How the hell are Raiders going to fit all those recruits under the points system? I know a few are ex-Raiders and will be worth 1 point but at least 3 of them will be worth 4-5 points. They were already over with the players from last year.

Rip vanwinkel

All Australian
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Seriously. How the hell are Raiders going to fit all those recruits under the points system? I know a few are ex-Raiders and will be worth 1 point but at least 3 of them will be worth 4-5 points. They were already over with the players from last year.
Last years players reduce by one point this season. Have also lost a few high point players so points should be lower than last year

Back