Draft Profile Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

Oliver dominated the TAC cup because he was a big-bodied aggressive midifelder who relied on his size to break through packs and win clearances. Was very average in his two matches in the VFL and wasn't selected for Vic Country.

Parish dominated the TAC cup and the u/18 Champs two years in a row. He was also in the top 3 players for both the Academy vs Werribee (arguably BOG, probably 2nd behind Francis) and Acadmey vs Northern Blues (Ah Chee and Weitering the two that were better than him) games.

Can't see why Melbourne chose Oliver over Francis let alone Parish although I'm very thankful because of it!

Oliver dominated the TAC cup because he was a big-bodied aggressive midifelder who relied on his size to break through packs and win clearances. Was very average in his two matches in the VFL and wasn't selected for Vic Country.

Parish dominated the TAC cup and the u/18 Champs two years in a row. He was also in the top 3 players for both the Academy vs Werribee (arguably BOG, probably 2nd behind Francis) and Acadmey vs Northern Blues (Ah Chee and Weitering the two that were better than him) games.

Can't see why Melbourne chose Oliver over Francis let alone Parish although I'm very thankful because of it!
Oliver was named in the best in his first VFL and had an even better game the week after. So try not let the truth hit you on the back of the head. Parish is Scully/Toumpas all over again. Dominate under 18s yet struggles to make the step up because he is a weak skinny outside player that will just get monsterd every game.

Oliver was named in the best in his first VFL and had an even better game the week after. So try not let the truth hit you on the back of the head. Parish is Scully/Toumpas all over again. Dominate under 18s yet struggles to make the step up because he is a weak skinny outside player that will just get monsterd every game.

Except unlike Scully and Toumpas, Parish isn't going to Melbourne, so he'll be fine. Zac Merrett was about the same size as Parish and his development has gone pretty well so far.

Oliver was nothing special, Tom Cole and Josh Dunkley played games of the same ilk as Oliver and went much later. Parish averaged 16 contested possessions and 7 clearances a game at TAC cup level, no bad for an outside midfielder. "So try not let the truth hit you on the back of the head". Maybe if you actually watched u/18 games you wouldn't come off as a complete moron.

Oliver was nothing special, Tom Cole and Josh Dunkley played games of the same ilk as Oliver and went much later. Parish averaged 16 contested possessions and 7 clearances a game at TAC cup level, no bad for an outside midfielder. "So try not let the truth hit you on the back of the head". Maybe if you actually watched u/18 games you wouldn't come off as a complete moron.
Your kidding yourself if you ever think that Parish will ever translate that into AFL level. At best he will be a Lewis Taylor type. Short little 20m dinky kicks that hardly impacts the game. I watched alot of TAC cup games as part of my development role with the bushies under 16 so again maybe instead of running your mouth like a complete half wit know, your facts first.

Your kidding yourself if you ever think that Parish will ever translate that into AFL level. At best he will be a Lewis Taylor type. Short little 20m dinky kicks that hardly impacts the game. I watched alot of TAC cup games as part of my development role with the bushies under 16 so again maybe instead of running your mouth like a complete half wit know, your facts first.
Thanks for completely ignoring my points on Oliver from my previous posts, good to know you agree with me!

Parish obviously won't be as dominant in terms of the contested aspects of his game at AFL level, but he's hardly the outside seagull you portray him to be. You comparing him to Squizzy had convinced me you don't watch TAC cup footy. Parish is easily the best 'metres gained' midfielder in his draft class. Congratulations on the development role, must've taken some hell of a speech to fool them.

With your outstanding insight and knowledge its amazing that you're stuck in a development role with an under 16's side and not working at the top level.

Actually, I think Lewis Taylor is a decent comparison, both are well balanced/composed and effective on either side of the body. I just think that you are selling Lewis Taylor a bit short here. If Parish is where Taylor is at after 2 years, then Essendon are well in front with that pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parish will be a star in the long term. Give him four years and expect him to become a BnF winner and will become one of the bonafide midfielders in the league. Just like Heppell did. He does lack that tough stuff that allows him to win games by himself like a Zaharakis or Swan. In the Geelong Falcons final he wasn't very good and was hardly noticeable.

Oliver however will have Oliver Wines like impact in the first year. Will be fighting Petracca for games IMO. Has game breaking attributes and can put players who are smaller on a stretcher with his size. Oliver will take two season like Wines did to become a bonafide midfielder. Has potential to win games by himself. Hopper and Oliver will have similar careers IMO.

Parish will be a star in the long term. Give him four years and expect him to become a BnF winner and will become one of the bonafide midfielders in the league. Just like Heppell did. He does lack that tough stuff that allows him to win games by himself like a Zaharakis or Swan. In the Geelong Falcons final he wasn't very good and was hardly noticeable.

Oliver however will have Oliver Wines like impact in the first year. Will be fighting Petracca for games IMO. Has game breaking attributes and can put players who are smaller on a stretcher with his size. Oliver will take two season like Wines did to become a bonafide midfielder. Has potential to win games by himself. Hopper and Oliver will have similar careers IMO.

No, no he won't.

Petracca will spend a lot of time up forward with midfield stints, Oliver will get his chance in the middle but we won't need to rush him.

No, no he won't.

Petracca will spend a lot of time up forward with midfield stints, Oliver will get his chance in the middle but we won't need to rush him.
Disagree. Oliver still has baby fat like Petracca did and Petracca has lost most of the baby fat in the photo's I've seen of him. Petracca will have the tank to play in the midfield and I reckon Oliver will struggle to deal with not being able to push everyone around. Both will have good careers but I see Petracca playing more midfield and Oliver learning his craft as a forward in the AFL and playing in the midfield in the VFL.

Disagree. Oliver still has baby fat like Petracca did and Petracca has lost most of the baby fat in the photo's I've seen of him. Petracca will have the tank to play in the midfield and I reckon Oliver will struggle to deal with not being able to push everyone around. Both will have good careers but I see Petracca playing more midfield and Oliver learning his craft as a forward in the AFL and playing in the midfield in the VFL.

Petracca has already been marked for a lot of time up forward this season, his broken toe also reinforced this sentiment.

Oliver will come into the team as a midfielder and he'll do it by putting in good performances at Casey, he won't be fighting with Petracca for games.

Petracca has already been marked for a lot of time up forward this season, his broken toe also reinforced this sentiment.

Oliver will come into the team as a midfielder and he'll do it by putting in good performances at Casey, he won't be fighting with Petracca for games.
Agree to disagree :)

The club has already stated that Trac will be spending a lot of time forward next season.

Oliver may be eased into AFL as a forward but he won't be competing against Trac for a spot next season. Unless he totally nosedives, Trac's spot in the 22 should be fairly secure. He has an AFL body already. I would predict Oliver to play under 10 games, maybe 6-7. Our depth isn't great but it isn't so poor that we need to rush the kid in.

Last edited:
The club has already stated that Trac will be spending a lot of time forward next season.

Oliver may be eased into AFL as a forward but he won't be competing against Trac for a spot next season. Unless he totally nosedives, Trac's spot in the 22 is fairly secure. He has an AFL body already. I would predict Oliver to play under 10 games, maybe 6-7. Our depth isn't great but it isn't so poor that we need to rush the kid in.
No doubt Petracca will play forward alot. I just don't see Oliver playing more in the midfield if their both in the same team.

No doubt Petracca will play forward alot. I just don't see Oliver playing more in the midfield if their both in the same team.
In his first season, you may be right. Could go either way. Two contrasting examples last year with Brayshaw thrown in the middle and Neal-Bullen thrown forward. Bottom line however is that I don't see him competing for a spot with Petracca.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back