General Bombers Talk More talk of changing the logo. Post your thoughts here.

What should we do with the logo?

• Total voters

Letter from the President: Brand research project​

President Dave Barham provides an update on the club's brand research project.
By essendonfc.com.au - 1 hr ago

To all our Fans and Members,

The Essendon Football Club has a proud history as one of the oldest clubs in the AFL and we have a strong recognisable brand.

We are conducting a preliminary research project which centres around the Essendon brand and its elements.

The research project is in its early phase. Members and supporters have been and will continue to be canvassed as part of this process, in addition to the engagement of multiple Essendon Football Club stakeholders.

We have a proud history of more than 150 years and a deep connection to our members and supporters. This is and will always be respected and embraced.

There is no immediate action to change the club logo or any elements of the club brand. This is a longer-term project with significant work to be completed.

We proudly recognise that our future legacy begins with our proud history.

We will always be called the Bombers.

- Dave Barham

Eleven 38

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Canucks, Cowboys, Renegades
Monograms are okay. But not as a main logo.

If we get rid of a plane off the logo we may as well get rid of the bombers part of our name.

Monograms for logos reek of Carlton. Funnily enough the demons have been trying to be Carlton for years with their tanking.

Monograms are okay. But not as a main logo.

If we get rid of a plane off the logo we may as well get rid of the bombers part of our name.

Monograms for logos reek of Carlton. Funnily enough the demons have been trying to be Carlton for years with their tanking.

I was actually going to make the point that the only clubs in the league that don't use their nickname in their logo are Carlton (because blue is a colour), Fremantle (for legal reasons) and GWS (super modern logo thing). Not sure what Melbourne's excuse is - probably something to do with being the first club.

Agreed, it does.

But it's like their fourth rebrand in ten years - do it that often and starts to become meaningless IMO.

It's been a disastrous decade, so it's kinda justified.

Jan 7, 2005
Down the rabbit hole
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fatebringer
Can we go back to the old 90's bomber logo. That rocked.
pfft, forget the 90s one, we should go back to the 50's one!!

How ******* cool is this?

10665686_560685044097739_726877982845733960_n.jpg

I wasn't before, but I am now completely up for a change in logo/branding. Let's use 2016 to refresh and rebrand, come out 2017 with a whole different look and attitude.

A whole different attitude is what got us into this mess in the first place... :)

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
Okay in light of today's events the club looks to be in need of a fresh direction. New staff, new players it seems and I think a new logo.

There are two elements to 'too busy'. One is that it has a lot of stuff going on. So might Barcelona's, but in that case each section is both simple and thematically consistent with the others. The second is that there is no dominant feature or theme, where the FCB emblem is tied together by the golden frame.

In this one, there are a bunch of small details, some of which work (the monogram), some of which don't (the flags), but nothing tying them together. The excessive complexity though is really demonstrated in the 'sash' - that isn't a sash, it's stripes.

Monogram, plane/wings, single sash, all layered together on the shield. That'd be plenty.

Yep. Looks like they don't know who they are.

(I don't know who they are either)
Only one of the biggest sporting clubs in the world, with an emblem that reflects a history far beyond their own. :cool:

Coldacre

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
logo's are utterly irrelevant.

on-field and off-field performance are such a priority in 2016, I can't believe the logo is even being discussed.

Marley10

Cancelled
Dec 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Okay in light of today's events the club looks to be in need of a fresh direction. New staff, new players it seems and I think a new logo.

That's nice. I like it.

If something must be removed, then the flags can be disposed of. Maybe include the Est. 1871 either at the bottom with the writing or on the logo somewhere.

Other than that, it's pretty nice

Back