Draft Review 2005 - Redo the 2005 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Disagree it was far better. Cooneys best season or two may be slightly better than Murphys but only just
2. Who said we're talking about best seasons, thats certainly not what we're talking about in ranking these players over the course of their career. We're cearly talking about bodies of work. And because of Cooney's body, his body of work is very poor. As he hasnt been a premier player for half a decade now.

Murphy was a premier player for one season

Murphy is a solid player no one says he isn't.

But he's a long way from elite, and if not for the fact that Melbourne and Carlton combined to give us a slew of poor number one picks, he may actually have been close to the poorest number one pick taken in the last fifteen years.

That's a bit harsh. I agree he's not elite, but he has been in the past and is still a pretty damn fine player. An All Australian and AFLCA Award winner. I think you're exaggerating a little here.

That's a bit harsh. I agree he's not elite, but he has been in the past and is still a pretty damn fine player. An All Australian and AFLCA Award winner. I think you're exaggerating a little here.

Nah.

I'm giving Murphy the respect he deserves as a very good player. Would even probably concede he was elite for one year - but he doesn't deserve to be compared to the best players of the last decade.

And certainly, silly posts claiming he's the best 'recent number one draft pick' (when recent conveniently ends at 2005) deserved to be called as such.

Good player. Even very good. No more, no less.

Except he wasn't.

Luke Hodge is a three time premiership captain, duel Norm Smith Medallist.

Nick Riewoldt is a five time All Australian, and one of the best CHFs in the games history.

Adam Cooney was a Brownlow medallist.

Brendon Goddard was arguably the best player in the league for three years.

Murphy is not a spud, but he is far from a great.

I believe murph was being compared to the players in his draft where most have him at 3-4th best.

In more recent years the no1 pick has been a lot lower than the 3rd or 4th best player in their draft.

I do have a small amount of curiosity to have a lurk on the blues board if you do mange to beat them. I don't think I can really lose either way.

Win win for you blokes.

I'm giving Murphy the respect he deserves as a very good player ...

Not when you include any phrase of "... he may actually have been close to the poorest number one pick taken in the last fifteen years". In the last 25 years there's only about 5 number one picks I'd take above him at this point. So yes, IMO you're definitely being harsh with that comment, regardless of any tacked on platitudes.

I disagree, if Kennedy gets another Coleman or two and 3 or 4 top 5 finishes he would be ahead of Pendlebury.
Surly your joking? Pendles has 4 b&fs and 5 AAs. He has been a superstar of the comp for a long time now.

Pendles also has a norm smith. I think we will leave Kennedys grand final performance alone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not when you include any phrase of "... he may actually have been close to the poorest number one pick taken in the last fifteen years". In the last 25 years there's only about 5 number one picks I'd take above him at this point. So yes, IMO you're definitely being harsh with that comment, regardless of any tacked on platitudes.

A phrase that was also paired with a very pointed reference to the failures (to various degrees) of Gibbs, Kreuzer, Scully and Watts.

I stand by my comments on Murphy, and further, stand by the comments that pointed to the rather foolish statements made by the poster I responded to.

Murphy is no star. He very likely never will be. And when compared to the players taken immediately before him as number one pick, he is quite a bit short.

Come back to me when Kennedy has a premiership medal and a Norm Smith.
I'll be back at the end of this year. The fact is Kennedy has reached the top, something which pendles will never do.

Theres another one in my comment that isn't a poor way to rank a player.

Not really.

Norm Smiths can only be won by players in teams good enough to make Grand Finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back