Roast Collingwood Supporters in love with Pauline Hanson thread

Remove this Banner Ad

joff

Premium Platinum
Jan 3, 2011
oz
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hi Temploar sorry to hear of your situation one thing which you may be able to do is call telstra and tell them you cant afford to pay your bill and request that they give you a discount explain that you dont have the cash to even buy food ive done this for a friend and got their bill wiped for them, id be suprised if they didnt cut you some slack good luck mate

Id suggest you talk to Centrelink Temploar. They have people who can help you manage your debts. They'll be able to help you establish some better payment plans etc.
I know you sometimes have to wait a while but it will be worth it. Tell them the whole story and ask for help.

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hi Temploar,

I understand this could be a very traumatic time, but there probably isn't an easy answer either for the short-term or longer view. Try to maintain friendships and social interactions - your true friends (and family) will support you if you stay positive.

Try to find an emergency support provider (local charity?) to ensure your personal needs (food, shelter, running water, etc) are covered and contact your creditors (eg telephone) to arrange more appropriate payments - "Hardship". If you lose your method of communication (phone/address) it will become significantly harder to recover.

Assuming from the Centrelink income that you are unable to work, even if only temporarily. If that is not the case, perhaps there could be some cash jobs, even as unskilled labourer or 'backpacker' type employment that could help get some cash your way.

Your phone bill ($120pm) is pretty high, my (unlimited everything) business phone is only $150pm. I presume this is still under a purchase contract? Perhaps you could try to negotiate with your provider for a reduced repayment amount (longer term) and/or switching to an (emergency/incoming) pre-paid phone without 'breaking' the contract and all that entails.

The next period is all about trying to reduce your expenses back to a level appropriate to the meagre income Centrelink provides.

A friend of mine went through similar about 6-7 years back after his wife left him, another mate put him up for 2-3 weeks until he got a job as a garden labourer and could afford a room in a share-house (no rental agency would touch him). It took him a long time to recover, probably 2 years or more, but he's now working full-time and has repaid all his debts, saved some money and even went to America with his new GF last year.

Good luck

Hi Temploar,

I understand this could be a very traumatic time, but there probably isn't an easy answer either for the short-term or longer view. Try to maintain friendships and social interactions - your true friends (and family) will support you if you stay positive.

Try to find an emergency support provider (local charity?) to ensure your personal needs (food, shelter, running water, etc) are covered and contact your creditors (eg telephone) to arrange more appropriate payments - "Hardship". If you lose your method of communication (phone/address) it will become significantly harder to recover.

Assuming from the Centrelink income that you are unable to work, even if only temporarily. If that is not the case, perhaps there could be some cash jobs, even as unskilled labourer or 'backpacker' type employment that could help get some cash your way.

Your phone bill ($120pm) is pretty high, my (unlimited everything) business phone is only $150pm. I presume this is still under a purchase contract? Perhaps you could try to negotiate with your provider for a reduced repayment amount (longer term) and/or switching to an (emergency/incoming) pre-paid phone without 'breaking' the contract and all that entails.

The next period is all about trying to reduce your expenses back to a level appropriate to the meagre income Centrelink provides.

A friend of mine went through similar about 6-7 years back after his wife left him, another mate put him up for 2-3 weeks until he got a job as a garden labourer and could afford a room in a share-house (no rental agency would touch him). It took him a long time to recover, probably 2 years or more, but he's now working full-time and has repaid all his debts, saved some money and even went to America with his new GF last year.

Good luck

My family are battlers also mate, it's a blessing to even get a couple dollars off them. (Which I appreciate)

I'm very anxious about going to places like the salvos and all that, I just feel like i've got to reduce my dignity a bit to go in there. :( I've been so anxious that every time I try to sleep my brain just starts thinking 4000 things at once and It's been 54 hours without sleep now. I'm actually starting to lose memory of times and stuff, i can't even remember what happened a few hours ago.

I'm on disability pension, I'd love to work and have been looking in this new area that I am in but nothing has come up yet. Yeah my phone is under a purchase contract, I'll have no choice but to call them when I get some rest.

Thanks for the info/support. I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your friend and I am so glad that he is in a better situation now. :) hopefully I will be in the future too.

Hi Temploar sorry to hear of your situation one thing which you may be able to do is call telstra and tell them you cant afford to pay your bill and request that they give you a discount explain that you dont have the cash to even buy food ive done this for a friend and got their bill wiped for them, id be suprised if they didnt cut you some slack good luck mate

Would they give one for someone that has a Pension Card?

My family are battlers also mate, it's a blessing to even get a couple dollars off them. (Which I appreciate)

I'm very anxious about going to places like the salvos and all that, I just feel like i've got to reduce my dignity a bit to go in there. :( I've been so anxious that every time I try to sleep my brain just starts thinking 4000 things at once and It's been 54 hours without sleep now. I'm actually starting to lose memory of times and stuff, i can't even remember what happened a few hours ago.

I'm on disability pension, I'd love to work and have been looking in this new area that I am in but nothing has come up yet. Yeah my phone is under a purchase contract, I'll have no choice but to call them when I get some rest.

Thanks for the info/support. I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your friend and I am so glad that he is in a better situation now. :) hopefully I will be in the future too.

You should not Worry what People Think when you go ask for some Help

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Don't underestimate the power (and value) of emotional connection - when I spoke of support from friends and family, I meant the positive emotional support rather than financial.

Charities are there for times when you genuinely need them. If they help you recover, reward them (through time or donations) once you are back on your feet.

100% get with Centrelink, furthermore if you're unemployed hop on Jobsearch for a while, you'll get way more than $300 fortnightly (500+) and you can pretty easily use the system to your own advantage for a few months if you need to... Also plenty of people go to op-shops/salvos/whatever just to buy particular clothing and stuff, not necessarily because they're poor, so there's no way in which you'll be judged if that's what you care about :p

100% get with Centrelink, furthermore if you're unemployed hop on Jobsearch for a while, you'll get way more than $300 fortnightly (500+) and you can pretty easily use the system to your own advantage for a few months if you need to... Also plenty of people go to op-shops/salvos/whatever just to buy particular clothing and stuff, not necessarily because they're poor, so there's no way in which you'll be judged if that's what you care about :p

I get more than 300, I just get 300 with my rent taken out of it. It's about $580 if i dont add my rent.

There is no shame in admitting you need help to the people who can help you. It shows an awareness and a strength of character to acknowledge your weaknesses.
At this particular point in your life you need help, so ask for it. It means you're giving yourself a chance for tomorrow.

joff

Premium Platinum
Jan 3, 2011
oz
AFL Club
Collingwood
Would they give one for someone that has a Pension Card?
Not sure dave but it would definetly be worth a shot it worked for me, also never pay them late fees either ive always managed to talk them out of charging them you just need to ask

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
So I didn't really want to post this thread, but. I'm really screwed.

I've been up for 52 hours contemplating my life because i'm in a horrid financial situation, the first REALLY bad financial situation i've ever been in. Im sorry if this is a bit short it's because i have not slept in 2 days.

I've moved into community housing in the city about a month and a half ago because my grandparents could no longer support me and I already had debts previously owing. I owed $3500 on my credit card at the time of moving in and also owed $438 to PayPal for a double purchase i accidentally made a few months ago. My phone bill was also $120 a month at the time of moving in.

At this present time of speaking I am currently a month behind on my phone bill ($148 with late fee), I just paid the last one, I was two months behind and they were going to cut my service off so i had no choice but to pay the last bill. $3600 in debt on my credit card (adding interest every month) - still owe PayPal $388 which i've had debt collectors call me about multiple times... I agreed to pay $50 a fortnight but I can barely even afford that at the moment .

After my rent is taken out I am left with $300 from centrelink in a fortnight. My minimum monthly credit card payment is $75 and my phone bill is $120 a month but I just paid $148 because of the late fee with the 2 months I was owing. I am also meant to pay the debt collection agency $50 a fortnight so that equals $100 a month.

All together, this is how my fortnight SHOULD go.

INCOME fortnightly
$300 centrelink

Total income = $300

DEBITS fortnightly
$37 credit card
$60 phone
$50 debt collection
$20 myki so i can travel

Total debits = $167

Should be left with $133 for the fortnight to be used on food and amenities which would normally be fine HOWEVER i'm really stuck at the moment, this fortnight I had to pay my full monthly phone bill in advance because i missed a payment, moving in here has been stressful and i've run out of money more often than not, buying necessities. I owed my mate $25 and i couldn't refuse it to him since he is in a bad situation too, and I paid my credit card and myki as well.

In this case, my fortnightly debts for this fortnight is $280 and I only have around $20 left in my bank account right now.
I have very little food in the fridge, i'm down to one ******* roll of toilet paper and i only have a couple garbage bags left. Next fortnight's pay won't get much better for me either as i need to pay off another full month's worth of my phone bill too, and i'm already going to end up behind on my debt collection at this rate....

I'm stressing out so much right now, I have no money and it's not going to get better for another couple of months at this rate. I can't afford food or the basic necessities and my phone is really close to getting cut off not to mention the debt collectors on my ass. I can only afford the minimum payment on my credit card so that means the interest is piling up every month .
My family are in no position to help, I have asked EVERYONE I know and as some may know i don't talk to my mother's family so i can't rely on them.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I'm broke, hungry, tired, exhausted, very depressed, and I have no idea what to do at the moment. I haven't eaten in about a day or so and like i mentioned i've been up for 2 days now contemplating what to do.

If anyone has an idea on how I can go about getting money, food, etc, relatively quickly. PLEASE let me know, i'm stressing out here.

Cut up your credit card and never use it again... Why do you need one?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Been cut up for ages now.... still paying the ******* thing off....

What did you spend the thousands on? You need to admit your mistakes to prevent them happening again.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember saying you cut up your sportsbet card (or something) so you wouldn't gamble again then a few months later I see you posting on this forum about how you had just gambled on some match again.

You need to start making smarter choices to save yourself a lot of stress. Gambling, alcohol, expensive phones, credit cards... chuck em all

What did you spend the thousands on? You need to admit your mistakes to prevent them happening again.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember saying you cut up your sportsbet card (or something) so you wouldn't gamble again then a few months later I see you posting on this forum about how you had just gambled on some match again.

You need to start making smarter choices to save yourself a lot of stress.

Bought a new computer for myself 2 years ago when I was working.

And I haven't gambled since the spring carnival.

That's one expensive computer :p

A year or so ago I got a very good one for just over $1000

The idiot me back then had to have top of the range. Ironically I lost my job 2 months later.

Regarding your phone account and plan, if you can't come to some arrangement with them, contact:

Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman - 1800 062 058

Same thing if the Credit card provider pauses interest in your situation.

You might also be able to get some help/advice from:
Financial Ombudsman Service - 1300 780 808

And as others have suggested, talk to Centrelink.

Is your phone also top of the range?

Is it possible to downgrade and get a worse phone with cheaper repayments?

Yes it was at the time. It's about 13 months into the contract so i'm going to call them and see what they can do for me. (Vodafone)

Gambling is not a Good Idea because 99% of the Time you come out as a Loser and people keep Gambling to get the Money Back and that Does Not Happen and they find themselves is Worst Postion.

So great to hear you stopped Gambling. Should make it Permanently now

Sep 28, 2006
QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
LA Lakers,NE Patriots,Liverpool FC
If you go to Centrelink and tell them you have no money, they generally give some food vouchers where you can go to Woolies or Coles and at least buy some food.

I came across quite a few customers that did this, when I worked for Bank.

Other thing if you have no other option, declare bankruptcy, and you shouldn't get chased for any unsecured debt. However, you'll be lucky to be able to borrow money for quite a few years as it will be on your credit record. Seek some advice from a councillor before proceeding with this option though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back