Player Watch Liam Holt-Fitz (Academy Prospect)

Remove this Banner Ad

As far as I know;

• he is first and foremost part of Collingwood's NT Zone.
  • he is moving to Melbourne to further his education first, football second
  • MGS falls under the Sandringham Dragon Zone, but that relates to those who are boarding at MGS or live in the Bayside region
  • my understanding LFH is living/moving to Kew
  • The region of Kew zones him to the Oakleigh Chargers
  • The Chargers are part of Collingwood's zone.
This whole zoning thing is new to me also, but it relates to Indigenous and Multicultural kids, and kids who come from non-traditional football backgrounds. EG: A promising basketballer who has turned his back to concentrate on basketball, only to be coaxed into returning to football and being part of an AFL zoned Academy.
I said earlier it's a stretch for St Kilda supporters to claim him just because he's going to MGS, despite being signed up to play for the Chargers. Zones are decided by where a player lives, not by where they go to school.

Thanks for the Info SCPaige

I agree Liam would be in our Zone but the Question is IF he Quality's for the Academy or Not. Does him playing Rep Footy make him not Eligible for the Academy.
Sounds as if being indigenous qualifies him regardless, and that anyone can be signed up from an alternate pathway regardless of race (assuming Paige is right...)
Is Liam Boarding at MGS?
She literally just said he won't be boarding at MGS... He's living in Kew and playing for Oakleigh.

Sounds as if being indigenous qualifies him regardless, and that anyone can be signed up from an alternate pathway regardless of race (assuming Paige is right...)

Then why would it be Different for Multicutural Kids? Apex36

Where Liam has not gone the Alternative Way as he has played at the Highest Level he could Play.

But as you say, We are Pretty Much Guessing at the Moment as the AFL has not Released Much info about the Rules for the Acadamies

She literally just said he won't be boarding at MGS... He's living in Kew and playing for Oakleigh.

Sorry that I missed that. :rolleyes:

Then why would it be Different for Multicutural Kids? Apex36
It's not. Sound as if you qualify if you're either indigenous, or of a race that is under-represented in the AFL (possibly immigrants?)

Where Liam has not gone the Alternative Way as he has played at the Highest Level he could Play.
Indigenous and multicultural kids don't need to have an alternate pathway to qualify from the sounds of it, once again assuming Paige is correct. It would only be white kids that would need to be recruited through an alternate pathway.
But as you say, We are Pretty Much Guessing at the Moment as the AFL has not Released Much info about the Rules for the Academies
Spot on :)

I think (from my understanding) the reason these academies include Indigenous kids is because the AFL are a little worried that the drafting of Indigenous kids is really tapering off. By getting them into zoned AFL Academies, I guess you could "assume" that it means Indigenous kids garner a greater opportunity at a crack at the big time, and with more one-on-one and dedicated development and time + money going to better resources such as facilities, access to better equipment (Things like coming in to an AFL club to go through match tapes etc) should see a higher number of Indigenous kids drafted.

The case for multicultural kids - let's say Vietnamese, Syrian, Islanders, Lebanese etc - is that it gives them an opportunity to pursue a professional career if they're good enough, and also it's football's way of getting these multicultural kids into AFL rather than soccer, Rugby, basketball, cricket etc.

I think it's a good move. It's broadening the leagues demographics, and making AFL a genuine career path for those good enough.

It's not. Sound as if you qualify if you're either indigenous, or of a race that is under-represented in the AFL (possibly immigrants?)

Indigenous and multicultural kids don't need to have an alternate pathway to qualify from the sounds of it, once again assuming Paige is correct. It would only be white kids that would need to be recruited through an alternate pathway.

“It is important we provide clubs with an incentive to develop a presence in these communities, and help attract talented indigenous and multicultural players who would not otherwise play AFL, or are under-represented,” Evans said.

This what Confuses me. Do they mean they just not the Normal White Person they can be part of the Academy or they have not played Footy Yet?

So we can any non-white Kid who is a Gun so far in there Junior Career and we can Sign them up like that?

I take it as they have not played any AFL Footy and the Academy would train the Boys up

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/07c64f9623e12dfb226213037fcae93c

I think (from my understanding) the reason these academies include Indigenous kids is because the AFL are a little worried that the drafting of Indigenous kids is really tapering off. By getting them into zoned AFL Academies, I guess you could "assume" that it means Indigenous kids garner a greater opportunity at a crack at the big time, and with more one-on-one and dedicated development and time + money going to better resources such as facilities, access to better equipment (Things like coming in to an AFL club to go through match tapes etc) should see a higher number of Indigenous kids drafted.

I agree with that Idea why they have done it. Outside of Nakia Cockatoo I can't think of any Aborginal player from the NT getting Drafted.

So they don't want to lose these Boys to the AFL because many of them have tons of Raw Talent.

So I guess they say teams getting these Kid at a Younger age gives them a better chance of getting Drafted

If you leave out the bit about Eddie being the President of Collingwood (unfair comparison otherwise)

Then Les Murray - every day of the year and then some. He might not be paid the mega bucks, but I'd be willing to bet that Les' face opens a lot more interesting doors on the planet than Ed's (and it's an indication of that when Pele comes to speak at your testimonial)
So when did this hatred start? Why is it? Shock factor? Or just plan old jealousy?

Let's ponder....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So when did this hatred start? Why is it? Shock factor? Or just plan old jealousy?

Let's ponder....

LOL ...

... I'm asked 'Journalist?' Les Murray v Eddie McGuire? And I dare to pick Mr World Game who has a profile outside of postcodes beginning with '3' ...

... and suddenly Ed's Swiss Guards jump out of the flowerpot pointing the finger :rolleyes:

ae438e8a91e548fe31386f386709c121.jpg

Riddle me this: Us supporters can and do have rational debate about anybody and everybody in our footy club from Cory Gault to Nathan Buckley, and yet why is it that whenever the topic moves onto the one bloke who is actually accountable to the membership, his disciples appear out of the woodwork to shut down any dissent??? o_Oo_Oo_O

FFS, it's like we're being ruled by Dear Leader :rolleyes:

LOL ...

... I'm asked 'Journalist?' Les Murray v Eddie McGuire? And I dare to pick Mr World Game who has a profile outside of postcodes beginning with '3' ...

... and suddenly Ed's Swiss Guards jump out of the flowerpot pointing the finger :rolleyes:

ae438e8a91e548fe31386f386709c121.jpg

Riddle me this: Us supporters can and do have rational debate about anybody and everybody in our footy club from Cory Gault to Nathan Buckley, and yet why is it that whenever the topic moves onto the one bloke who is actually accountable to the membership, his disciples appear out of the woodwork to shut down any dissent??? o_Oo_Oo_O

FFS, it's like we're being ruled by Dear Leader :rolleyes:

Mate, Eddie has a tough life alright, he's busy hosting shows on TV and stuff, don't lay into him about his commitments for a sporting club that he probably doesn't even get paid to represent. Think of the children!

Australia's Asian population is booming and in the next 100 years is only going to get bigger, MUCH bigger.

It's a huge potential market we could get into, the first step to that is getting more asian kids playing footy at grass roots and professional level.

In my experience the asian kids all preferred soccer over footy as they didn't want to get hurt, and fair enough, but footy really hasn't connected with their demographic yet.

The majority of the discussion has been around indigenous kids, but they're already very well represented, in fact over-represented based on their percentage of the population... While there are over 3 times as many Asian-Australians than Indigenous Australians and the only Asian footballer I can think of is Jon from the bulldogs.

It's definitely an area the AFL needs to expand into in particular.

Sorry to butt in - saw the thread, thought I'd contribute. Liam Holt-Fitz is a mid-sized forward who gets up the ground and can really use this speed and athleticism to his advantage. He trained at Collingwood briefly as part of the Flying Boomerangs program that Collingwood hosts every year, and was a standout from reports.

He won the Michael Long Medal, which was voted by his peers for his dedication, hard work, and training standards during his time with the Boomerangs.

He will play for Oakleigh Chargers in the U16 pathway program this year (among school footy commitments) as he has just enrolled at Melbourne Grammar Yr 10. (Won't be draft-eligible until 2018).

Other private schools who fall under Collingwood's zone (which also fall in the Chargers zone) include Carey Grammar, Camberwell Grammar, De La Salle, St Kevins, Wesley College, Calufield Grammar, Trinity College and Scotch College. Oakleigh also have access to Kew Comments - who are one of the most prolific junior clubs in the state.

I'd say Collingwood did pretty damn well getting the Chargers as their aligned TAC Cup for this type of zoning.
He is schooling in Darwin, not Melb

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As far as I know;

• MGS falls under the Sandringham Dragon Zone, but that relates to those who are boarding at MGS or live in the Bayside region
This whole zoning thing is new to me also, but it relates to Indigenous and Multicultural kids, and kids who come from non-traditional football backgrounds. EG: A promising basketballer who has turned his back to concentrate on basketball, only to be coaxed into returning to football and being part of an AFL zoned Academy.
Where do people find out this info re him going to Melb. He's at school in Darwin playing in the NTFL
As far as I know;

Who knows!
Doubt it would affect his zoning in any way. From memory one of the GWS academy boys was boarding and playing TAC cup in Ballarat last year and he was still eligible for them. Pretty sure it's based on the kids official home address is, which for a 16 year old, would be his parents address in Barkley, regardless of where he's going to school.

I'd imagine the pies would be right on top of this kid and have him signed up to their academy asap.

At least 2 lads from the Barkly should be on show at the National U16 C'ships this year, maybe even 3. May also be one in the U18's. All playing for NT.
So.... Are you a Collingwood supporter or swans supporter?
Your profile says swans, but your username screams Collingwood :eek:

Doubt it would affect his zoning in any way. From memory one of the GWS academy boys was boarding and playing TAC cup in Ballarat last year and he was still eligible for them. Pretty sure it's based on the kids official home address is, which for a 16 year old, would be his parents address in Barkley, regardless of where he's going to school.

I'd imagine the pies would be right on top of this kid and have him signed up to their academy asap.

That was Jacob Hooper who is/was GWS Academy kid who played for North Ballarat Roosters and Attended a Boarding School thre.

That is a good Example

IF we are Allowed to Academy him I agree Hine be there ASAP

At least 2 lads from the Barkly should be on show at the National U16 C'ships this year, maybe even 3. May also be one in the U18's. All playing for NT.

Names and Info Mate

Names and Info Mate
U16 Liam Holt-Fitz & Matthew Green (would be ranked in the top 4 in the NT in their age group)
U15 Kyrell Barton but may play u16 this year. Likely be in Kickstart program for a 2nd year.
U18 Isiah Farrell-Nelson, spent a bit of time in WA with Fremantle Sharks. If overlooked for U18, should get him down to Melb.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back