Past Adam Goodes - The Champion, We Thank You, retired 2015 (now with extra Dr)

Remove this Banner Ad

Club will give Adam Goodes and Mike Pyke a lap of honour around the SCG during half time of the GWS game in Round 3.

And no, contrary to what you might have read in the Daily Telegraph or The Age, Adam Goodes' farewell lap was NOT moved from Round 1 to Round 3 to avoid booing from Collingwood supporters at ANZ, but so that his farewell could be held on the SCG, which is our actual home ground, but try telling that to the main board. :rolleyes: I just cannot even with the media these days.

Club will give Adam Goodes and Mike Pyke a lap of honour around the SCG during half time of the GWS game in Round 3.

And no, contrary to what you might have read in the Daily Telegraph or The Age, Adam Goodes' farewell lap was NOT moved from Round 1 to Round 3 to avoid booing from Collingwood supporters at ANZ, but so that his farewell could be held on the SCG, which is our actual home ground, but try telling that to the main board. :rolleyes: I just cannot even with the media these days.
Such a cheap beat up story to sell a few internet clicks. Why would he want to do his lap at that shithole?

Moved it to the SCG after concerns were raised that the ute would sink into the ground at ANZ.

No way in hell was Goodes getting a sendoff at ANZ, it's just not right.

Such a cheap beat up story to sell a few internet clicks. Why would he want to do his lap at that shithole?

It's a sad state of affairs now that the media, even supposed established and respected media outlets, now just whore themselves out looking for the sensationalist beet-up and the lowest common denominator. Rest assured that those that have a clue see through such crap.

He's a champ and deserves the best of send-offs at the most fitting place, clearly that is the SCG.

Moved it to the SCG after concerns were raised that the ute would sink into the ground at ANZ.

No way in hell was Goodes getting a sendoff at ANZ, it's just not right.

That. And there was a huge risk of tyre punctures, with bolts hanging out of concrete and tent pins all over the ground. I'm surprised a player hasn't had a leg blown off from a discarded landmine

I'm also outraged at that story. I was reading it thinking, what pathetic assholes would even go there. It's blatantly obvious.

And it's funny how the story said there was speculation that it was moved because of booing... only people speculating are the media trying to get an audience with cheap tricks.

Spineless

It's a sad state of affairs now that the media, even supposed established and respected media outlets, now just whore themselves out looking for the sensationalist beet-up and the lowest common denominator. Rest assured that those that have a clue see through such crap.

He's a champ and deserves the best of send-offs at the most fitting place, clearly that is the SCG.
I used to work in field the the media would frequently write stories on. Knowing the truth and reading their articles I would say that they make up approximately 25% of the crap they printed.

I used to work in field the the media would frequently write stories on. Knowing the truth and reading their articles I would say that they make up approximately 25% of the crap they printed.

So did I, a while back, and even back then (some 13-14 years ago now), so much was based on hot air - with the 24 news cycle, 'new media' etc. has just ramped up the crappier side that has always been there - but there's a new layer too where media and popular 'journalism' just can't escape sensationalist and populist hype, bit sad really.

Anyway, as a foreigner here I don't want to take things off topic. A strong club with strong people like yours will give him the send-off he deserves and that's all that matters.

Wish I could make it up to round 2 to see Goodesy being officially farewelled. Will be awesome applause I can imagine.
What about round 3 mate? You free then? :p

I'm going to be there for bloody sure. I'll be right at the fence and soaking it up. What a champion bloke (he's not just a player).

You are not sending off and celebrating just any player in Adam Goodes.

Taking away everything else, our great club was established 1874 & it's 2016... That's a lot of people to pass through the doors and not one of them has has pulled on the red & white to do battle more than him.

He has sacrificed a lot to do that for our club. He has given up his teenage and young adult years to train & perform. He has given up the chance of a "normal" life to be in the public eye and push his body & his mind to the limits every week. And he's done it more than anyone else for our club.

The opposition doesn't matter. The time of day doesn't matter. The weather. Work. Birthdays. Events.... I hold this in such regard that I reckon if I had to pick out of a final (maybe not a GF) or thanking our game record holding dual brownlow medal winning former capt multi premiership playing champion one last time, a time he will likely remember well into the future, then I know I'm picking that every single time.

I'm not even attending the footy that weekend. I'm attending halftime. The footy takes a back seat for me round 3 2016 @ the SCG.

Bump...

So Adam Roy Goodes we salute you! We thank you for being a remarkable part of the Swans family. We thank you for your courage, commitment, sacrifice, tenacity, professional endeavour and willfulness to become one of the ALL TIME LEGENDS of the AFL!!! We thank you for giving your all to the Swans community

You have carried yourself with dignity, respect, and statesmanship for all of your career. You have worked incredibly hard and endured significant adversity, physical and emotional turmoil to become the LEGEND you will be remembered as.

Whilst i can only speak for one fan who began appreciating your talent from the beginning of your career in 1999 until the end in 2015 I say thank you. Thank you for the thrills, the memories, highlights and heartache you provided me as a supporter of the Swans.

Whilst i won't be watching you from the hill of the SCG like i did for two decades I hope that all fans can give you a standing ovation at half time of tomorrows game and bring up the slow Sydney style chant of Goodsey.... Goodsey.... Goodsey....

I wish you all the success in your life post-retirement as you thoroughly deserve and have earned more than anyone all the opportunities life has to offer you.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can never write enough accolades about this bloke. However the one thing that stands out above anything he did on the field was in the 2012 gf when on one leg he kicked the goal to put us 7 points in front.

"Can he roll it home.........he can."

Cometh the moment, cometh the champion.

Great call, by bruce?

Cometh the moment, cometh the champion.

Great call, by bruce?
A stolen phrase (I have since been told) but still one of my most memorable sports broadcast moments up there with "Leo Barry You Saarrr!", "Here it is!!" & the "Nick Davis! Nick Davis!" Heroics.

There's a Who Is the Best Indigenous Player Ever? thread going on over on the MB right now and it's very pleasing to see the huge number of neutrals including Goodesy in their list.

At the height of the booing BS last year there were plenty of penisheads over there even questioning his greatness as a player, so it's very refreshing, so soon after all that scheisse, to see some real acknowledgement of Goodesy's legendary stature as a player.

(Either that or I should be praising the MB mods big-time for keeping the thread so clean and free of BS.)

SZPHveA.png

There's a Who Is the Best Indigenous Player Ever? thread going on over on the MB right now and it's very pleasing to see the huge number of neutrals including Goodesy in their list.

At the height of the booing BS last year there were plenty of penisheads over there even questioning his greatness as a player, so it's very refreshing, so soon after all that scheisse, to see some real acknowledgement of Goodesy's legendary stature as a player.

(Either that or I should be praising the MB mods big-time for keeping the thread so clean and free of BS.)

If you look at the sniping player threads you won't see his name mentioned either.

'booing because of what he does on the field.'

* off.

Have played golf a bit with Syd Jackson and a couple of times with Glen James (first Aboriginal umpire). Both rate Goodesy as a bloody champ and more importantly as a human being.

The ABC has a long one on one interview with Adam which should be on the telly soon.

The first time I saw him play was in a TAC gf when from memory he was a skinny kid who bagged six. I was thrilled when he was drafted by the Bloods and disappointed Eade insisted on a long apprenticeship.

He won his first Charley playing much of that season as a pinch hitting ruckman (he may be the last 'ruckman' to win a Brownlow).

The booing remains a disgrace but probably is an unhappy, albeit an accurate reflection of the attitudes of many Australians.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back