Remove this Banner Ad

akiva

Team Captain
Aug 8, 2013
Israel
AFL Club
Essendon
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a way to watch the footy from oversea.
Can't get it on TV and the afl.com.au website only lets you access to replays if you are within Australia.
Up till now now I have been signing up to watchafl.afl.com.au, but every year they are raising the prices and doesn't always work very well.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a torrent website or something of the sort.. so that I will be able to get the games every week.

thanks in advance to all the helpers!

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a way to watch the footy from overseas.
Can't get it on TV and the afl.com.au website only lets you access to replays if you are within Australia.
Up till now now I have been signing up to watchafl.afl.com.au, but every year they are raising the prices and doesn't always work very well.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a torrent website or something of the sort.. so that I will be able to get the games every week.

thanks in advance to all the helpers!

You can occasionally find dodgy pirate streams online for AFL, but the quality is (or used to be) pretty average and they're full of those annoying popups. Not worth the trouble.
Last year I had a free AFL Live Pass (which was Telstra, I think now Optus). This can be accessed from overseas if you use a geo-dodger (I use unotelly). I tried it last year and but the quality was terrible, unwatchable. It could be my location (Germany)... best bet would be to sign up for a free trial and see how you go.

I signed up to watchafl.afl.com.au again - despite the frustration it's better than the alternatives. It seems they try some new technology every year and it takes three quarters of the season to fix it. last year for me it would at about 10 minutes into the 3rd quarter it would start looping back to the half time break, and the only way to get past it was to watch the half time break... eventually it would catch up at some point in the last quarter. Their support team blamed the ipad and they couldn't change it... despite not having this problem with any other streaming service... anyway...

The price for watchafl.afl.com.au does change per region (depending on switching between USD/EUR and probably GBP). I found the cheapest option was to take out a club membership that includes the watchafl subscription (for me, it was a Global Lion subscription... $165). All clubs offer it and depending on who you support the price will be more or less (probably depends on what crap "supporter package" they throw in -Hawks do one for $173, St. Kilda do one for $155, Geelong/Essendon $150). I assume the club at least gets some money from this too.
Compare this to $153USD (over $210AUD) or 109€ ($170AUD) to subscribe directly via watchafl.

I found that I have less problems with watchafl when watching via a computer, and can also watch via the inbuilt browser on my samsung TV. it does sometimes freeze or drop in quality, but restarts and runs pretty well. Fingers crossed it works better on ipad this year.

One more option: if you know anyone who has a Foxtel subscription with Fox Footy, check if they'll lend you (or rent to you) their Foxtel Go access. You also need a geo-dodging method, but could work. Unfortunately doesn't work if they get Foxtel via Optus (otherwise this is the method I would use!!).

Last edited:
I used the watch afl app on my iPad when I was overseas for work a few times last year.

One hotel I was at had really slow internet (ie about 1 Mb/s) yet I was still able to watch the game live.

I just signed up for a weekly pass each time although it wasn't cheap (maybe $10 to $15 for the week)

You can occasionally find dodgy pirate streams online for AFL, but the quality is (or used to be) pretty average and they're full of those annoying popups. Not worth the trouble.
Last year I had a free AFL Live Pass (which was Telstra, I think now Optus). This can be accessed from overseas if you use a geo-dodger (I use unotelly). I tried it last year and but the quality was terrible, unwatchable. It could be my location (Germany)... best bet would be to sign up for a free trial and see how you go.

I signed up to watchafl.afl.com.au again - despite the frustration it's better than the alternatives. It seems they try some new technology every year and it takes three quarters of the season to fix it. last year for me it would at about 10 minutes into the 3rd quarter it would start looping back to the half time break, and the only way to get past it was to watch the half time break... eventually it would catch up at some point in the last quarter. Their support team blamed the ipad and they couldn't change it... despite not having this problem with any other streaming service... anyway...

The price for watchafl.afl.com.au does change per region (depending on switching between USD/EUR and probably GBP). I found the cheapest option was to take out a club membership that includes the watchafl subscription (for me, it was a Global Lion subscription... $165). All clubs offer it and depending on who you support the price will be more or less (probably depends on what crap "supporter package" they throw in -Hawks do one for $173, St. Kilda do one for $155, Geelong/Essendon $150). I assume the club at least gets some money from this too.
Compare this to $153USD (over $210AUD) or 109€ ($170AUD) to subscribe directly via watchafl.

I found that I have less problems with watchafl when watching via a computer, and can also watch via the inbuilt browser on my samsung TV. it does sometimes freeze or drop in quality, but restarts and runs pretty well. Fingers crossed it works better on ipad this year.

One more option: if you know anyone who has a Foxtel subscription with Fox Footy, check if they'll lend you (or rent to you) their Foxtel Go access. You also need a geo-dodging method, but could work. Unfortunately doesn't work if they get Foxtel via Optus (otherwise this is the method I would use!!).

Yes signing up trough the club international membership is what I did last year, it is much cheaper plus they send you a members pack witch is a cute bonus.

I just don't understand why AFL is like the only sport in the world that you need to pay so much money to watch..
Was wondering if there was a way to download the games somehow.

Just noticed Collingwood doesn't offer the international package that includes AFL TV.

Essendon offer it for AU$150, AFL TV global pass is US$153 (AU$214).

I might just surf around and see which club is offering it the cheapest and buy their membership.

Just noticed Collingwood doesn't offer the international package that includes AFL TV.

Essendon offer it for AU$150, AFL TV global pass is US$153 (AU$214).

I might just surf around and see which club is offering it the cheapest and buy their membership.

Legwork done:
Adelaide: $155
Brisbane: $165
Carlton: $170
Collingwood: N/A
Essendon: $150
Fremantle: $170
Geelong: $150
Gold Coast: N/A
GWS: N/A
Hawthorn: $173
Melbourne: $189
North Melbourne: $175
Port Adelaide: $165
Richmond: $170
St Kilda: $155
Sydney: N/A
West Coast: $170
Western Bulldogs: $170

My recommendation is to go with Brisbane because they need all the help they can get. :)

I just don't understand why AFL is like the only sport in the world that you need to pay so much money to watch..

Are you kidding? I live in Germany (and can speak for the UK)... really the only way to get regular sport is to subscribe to Sky. Sky Germany owns the Bundesliga, Sky UK and BT Sport share the EPL. You can get see Champions League & Europa League and the occasional on FTA, but otherwise nothing. The A-league have some horrendous subscription, otherwise in the UK it's BT Sport.
Tried watching Australian Cricket? The ACB offers a subscription for $30 which is good value... but only available in Australia. It can be accessed via geo-dodging, but for me the streams are un-watchable. Otherwise you need Sky UK. At least there's options here (try Willow or Star Sports...).
I assume US sports are the same outside USA.
I bought a Sky-Go UK account from someone and pay for geo-dodging and this pretty much covers European Football and cricket.

Perhaps the question you're looking to ask is why AFL is the only sport in the world that doesn't have dodgy online steams available? In that case, who (outside of a few Aussie expats) gives a sh*t about AFL? Not worth the effort to setup a stream, other than perhaps the grand final.

Im in LA. Im happy to pay for service as long as its good.

The quality has improved HOWEVER they now have a 25 second delay on their feed ( as of last year) because of the DVR replay feature they have included - which no one uses anyway.

It totally destroys any synch between radio and their streams.

And they don't care about it.

It does not need to keep getting more expensive -it seems nothing they are adding increases its value thus far.

Go Catters

I use watchafl.afl.com.au.

It's good. And you get NAB Cup. And you can watch any of the games whenever you want.

I used it all last year in Philippines and Hong Kong. No problem... even on not great internet connections.

upload_2016-2-17_18-0-35.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-17_18-0-3.png
    upload_2016-2-17_18-0-3.png
    197 bytes · Views: 120

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Subsribed to the AFL streaming service past few years but I don't think I actually used it last year (was through the club international membership) as all the games I happened to want to watch were on BT Sport ESPN in the UK anyway and I already subscribe to that for NCAA, Champions League etc

You may be better off looking in the usual places for a live channel stream of BT Sport ESPN rather than specifically AFL games.

Used the overseas watch afl app last year. Think it cost 100, but can't remember if that was AUD or Euros, but either way it was money very well spent and I didn't really have any problems. Can watch any game live and every game replayed. Would be good if their were some more programs reviewing matches ect, but alas. My subscription will expire shortly but I will definitely be signing up again.
Now I'm living in a huge villa with a private cinema that has a 3m X 3m screen. Can't wait to check that out!

It's pretty nice to use overall. You just click the game and away you go. You can watch replays whenever.
The price is a bit steep IMO. But when you average it out you're only playing 60cents a game or something. And as others have said, it would be good if 7/foxtel licensed their content to the company and that was included in the price too.

"Overseas" is a big place. Where exactly are you going to be? Not so long ago there was an Australia Network available in Asia that showed all free-to-air games, but the Liberal Government canned it. B@#$@#$%rds.

What will you be doing while overseas? Travelling around? If so, can I suggest that you just forget about football and concentrate on your holiday instead? I've done that plenty of times. Of all my years of travel, I've only had one holiday (when I was travelling alone) where I ever bothered to look out for footy on TV.

"Overseas" is a big place. Where exactly are you going to be? Not so long ago there was an Australia Network available in Asia that showed all free-to-air games, but the Liberal Government canned it. B@#$@#$%rds.

What will you be doing while overseas? Travelling around? If so, can I suggest that you just forget about football and concentrate on your holiday instead? I've done that plenty of times. Of all my years of travel, I've only had one holiday (when I was travelling alone) where I ever bothered to look out for footy on TV.
We still get Aus tv in Asia, is now called Australia+ (my sons watching it right now), last season we still got min 4 games a weekend sometimes 5, personally i use the ALF.com int package and get it onto the big screen via chrome cast.

If you can't find somewhere to watch it, the AFL app is an easy way to listen to he game.

I listened to the Dogs play Carlton while paddle boating along the Elbe River in Prague last season.

How's the quality?

Surprisingly not bad. It's not quite 1080 but not far off. I've been using it for nab cup and will buy a season pass at this rate.
Honestly, it should be a bit cheaper than what they are charging considering what you get for other streaming services like NBA, but there's not a lot of choice.
There is a torrent site for all things afl if you want to download the games after but not for live streams... that I know of.

For supporters of clubs who don't offer the watchafl global pass, I just noticed that the AFL shop has the Global Pass for $189 including beanie and size 5 synthetic football. Not a terrible deal if you consider the footy is usually priced between $15 and $30, and beanie probably $10 - $15... plus I assume they'll post it to you. If you're getting the global pass anyway and footy's are in short supply where you live, then not a bad option!

http://shop.afl.com.au/watchafl-global-pass-subscription-and-supporter-bundle-95569.phtml

Certainly better value than $200 just to have the AFL record posted to you in addition to the $255 or $325 cost of the record (which is listed on the same site!). Back in my day a record cost 70c, and we thought the grand final record was a lot of money at $2...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back