Injury 2016 Injury updates - Salem 3-4 away

Remove this Banner Ad

Another player from another club (for now ;))

Jaeger O'Meara has had a further set back with his knee injury, and his come back to footy through the NEAFL now won't be until Round 4-5.

Horrible news for the Suns, not only will they be without him for even longer, but it's another card on the "fresh start" deck, and it devalues him a bit more.

O'Meara and Swallow are probably two of the best physically developed juniours I've ever seen, both with chronic knee issues

I know squat about any of this sort of thing but is there potential they just over did the weights / fitness as youngsters? Is that possible?

O'Meara and Swallow are probably two of the best physically developed juniours I've ever seen, both with chronic knee issues

I know squat about any of this sort of thing but is there potential they just over did the weights / fitness as youngsters? Is that possible?
Very unlikely I'd say (I'm no professional in the area either, but have a pretty good knowledge) if they were doing something that was causing damage, they would have had some pain as an indicator. Otherwise, it's all just building strength. Similar to Petracca's last 6 months, basically all strength work to avoid reinjury.

I was actually there last year when O'Meara did his knee ... It was completely innocuous. A relatively minor amount of contact with a Lions player's knee, and then a very loud scream. When the realisation swept the ground who it was, it was dead quiet even for a NEAFL practice match.

Very unlikely I'd say (I'm no professional in the area either, but have a pretty good knowledge) if they were doing something that was causing damage, they would have had some pain as an indicator. Otherwise, it's all just building strength. Similar to Petracca's last 6 months, basically all strength work to avoid reinjury.

I was actually there last year when O'Meara did his knee ... It was completely innocuous. A relatively minor amount of contact with a Lions player's knee, and then a very loud scream. When the realisation swept the ground who it was, it was dead quiet even for a NEAFL practice match.

Fair enough

Just seems to be a coincidence

Another player from another club (for now ;))

Jaeger O'Meara has had a further set back with his knee injury, and his come back to footy through the NEAFL now won't be until Round 4-5.

Horrible news for the Suns, not only will they be without him for even longer, but it's another card on the "fresh start" deck, and it devalues him a bit more.
Poor bloke. Love watching Jaeger play. Really hope he can get back to his best.

How do you strengthen ligaments and tendons though? Muscles, fair enough, but ligaments and tendons get very little blood flow, so don't regenerate well. I don't know that much about it either, but most recuperation I've seen involves trying to retain / regain mobility and flexibility.

How do you strengthen ligaments and tendons though? Muscles, fair enough, but ligaments and tendons get very little blood flow, so don't regenerate well. I don't know that much about it either, but most recuperation I've seen involves trying to retain / regain mobility and flexibility.
it's more about strengthening the muscles to protect the ligaments and tendons..

I'm no expert either - but since this factor has never prevented anyone having an attempt online at a quality statement I may as well have a go. I can throw into the ring a sister who is a Physio to pretend authenticity if needed.

My understanding is Cannon is more or less right on the very limited build of strength in tendons / ligaments. So a strength program (or even a growth hormone drug program) is risky in any other setting than bodybuilding, where movement and impact isn't part of the detail of how you get to the top. The whole theory behind cross training is to avoid injury from excessive muscle build up in some areas then your joints and tendons don't have the equivalent flexibility and your injury risk gets higher and higher for certain joints and tendons. Look at ACLs for example. Big deal in AFL, skiing and (I think) netball. Once you hyper- develop muscle in certain regions, the injury risk goes up accordingly - with some mitigation if a really good trainer can devise a program to develop flexibility to match what is an overcompensation. The other important development thing is for muscle development to equivalently develop the opposing muscles - which sounds obvious but can get right out of whack in an athletes training regime for particular sports.

it's more about strengthening the muscles to protect the ligaments and tendons..

But strengthening muscles will normally increase the stress on tendons and ligaments with more muscle mass, greater force, etc?

I'm no expert either - but since this factor has never prevented anyone having an attempt online at a quality statement I may as well have a go. I can throw into the ring a sister who is a Physio to pretend authenticity if needed.

My understanding is Cannon is more or less right on the very limited build of strength in tendons / ligaments. So a strength program (or even a growth hormone drug program) is risky in any other setting than bodybuilding, where movement and impact isn't part of the detail of how you get to the top. The whole theory behind cross training is to avoid injury from excessive muscle build up in some areas then your joints and tendons don't have the equivalent flexibility and your injury risk gets higher and higher for certain joints and tendons. Look at ACLs for example. Big deal in AFL, skiing and (I think) netball. Once you hyper- develop muscle in certain regions, the injury risk goes up accordingly - with some mitigation if a really good trainer can devise a program to develop flexibility to match what is an overcompensation. The other important development thing is for muscle development to equivalently develop the opposing muscles - which sounds obvious but can get right out of whack in an athletes training regime for particular sports.

Not sure if you understood my original point but your second paragraph, second sentence, in brackets was my inference ;)

In oppo watch Mumford didn't return to the ground with his ankle quite sore apparently. Still working it out coming back from the injury last season, but i do hope it can keep him down or hinder his performance round 1. After that i wish him better

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In oppo watch Mumford didn't return to the ground with his ankle quite sore apparently. Still working it out coming back from the injury last season, but i do hope it can keep him down or hinder his performance round 1. After that i wish him better
That's huge if he doesn't get up. Would turn us into comfortable favourites with the bookies you'd think.

Hope Mummy pulls up. I'd like to see how Max goes against him and I bet Max would too.
Part of me thinks this.

Part of me wants Mummy to take the extra week to get himself right so we can start the year with two wins before we fly down to Tassie.

This. As someone who has had a knee reconstruction, the 'strengthening' isn't really about strengthening the ligament. Knees aren't 'strong' by themselves. It is all do with strengthening the muscles around them and training your leg to use those muscles instead of trying to use something you shouldn't - like a ligament.

My surgeon/physio/remedial dudes all said that it's quite common to actually do the other knee after returning to playing, because you have focussed on strengthening the hurt one for so long, that lots of people forget to strengthen the other one while they're at it as well.

I've learned so much about my body since my knee got rekt. It has led to all sorts of badness since. The ACL is now made up of a bit of hamstring, which has led to my hammy permanently being like a guitar string. Gotta stretch it 2 or 3 times a day and do weekly strengthening work to keep on top of it. Tight hammies leads to sore lower back especially working at a desk, so thats led to standing up to work and pilates stuff. I never really thought about how everything in the body is connected until something broke. Now I get daily reminders..

IMG_5143.jpg

A quick check showed no MFC shirts on the bus.

This. As someone who has had a knee reconstruction, the 'strengthening' isn't really about strengthening the ligament. Knees aren't 'strong' by themselves. It is all do with strengthening the muscles around them and training your leg to use those muscles instead of trying to use something you shouldn't - like a ligament.

My surgeon/physio/remedial dudes all said that it's quite common to actually do the other knee after returning to playing, because you have focussed on strengthening the hurt one for so long, that lots of people forget to strengthen the other one while they're at it as well.

I've learned so much about my body since my knee got rekt. It has led to all sorts of badness since. The ACL is now made up of a bit of hamstring, which has led to my hammy permanently being like a guitar string. Gotta stretch it 2 or 3 times a day and do weekly strengthening work to keep on top of it. Tight hammies leads to sore lower back especially working at a desk, so thats led to standing up to work and pilates stuff. I never really thought about how everything in the body is connected until something broke. Now I get daily reminders..

How good is getting old? Full body transplants need to become a thing.

Isn't that why they invented 3D printing?

I wonder if we can get our hands on a Nat Fyfe mould and print it in red and blue?

VDB looks to be ok..

DEMON DOWN

MELBOURNE is confident an ankle injury to Aaron vandenBerg is only minor despite the utility failing to return to the field on Sunday afternoon.

vandenBerg injured his left ankle after contesting a boundary throw in during the third quarter against the Western Bulldogs in Craigieburn.

He could be seen walking the boundary and even progressed into a jog, but was not risked in the 12-point win.

Lynden Dunn is another who finished the game on the sidelines after tweaking his groin.

“Both were precautionary and came off the ground. They should both be right to go next week,” stand-in coach Simon Goodwin said after the game.

Colin Garland also limped from the Craigieburn venue in the first half with what appeared to be a leg injury, but returned to complete the match.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...d/news-story/f5386e1398b1c5d6185b11266bca1f4c

Remove this Banner Ad

Back