Preview NAB Challenge (Round 4): North Melbourne v Hawthorn (Sat. Night at Etihad Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Very interesting.

It appears Clarke is ahead of Dumont and probably a smokey for Rnd 1.

Dumont hasn't done a lot wrong at senior level, I think he would be close to a best 22 regular if there was no sub rule tbh.

I think we will find out how the forward pecking order sits as well.

Someone out of Petrie, Waite, Brown, Black and Wood will miss out.

It may come down to McDonald vs Mullett on this weeks performance.

Last edited:
NORTH MELBOURNE
3. Jed Anderson, 5. Ben Jacobs, 6. Lachlan Hansen, 7. Jack Ziebell, 8. Daniel Wells, 9. Andrew Swallow, 10. Ben Cunnington, 11. Michael Firrito, 12. Lindsay Thomas, 13. Ryan Clarke, 15. Nick Dal Santo, 16. Scott D. Thompson, 17. Aaron Mullett, 18. Shaun Atley, 19. Sam Wright, 20. Drew Petrie, 21. Luke McDonald, 22. Todd Goldstein, 27. Taylor Garner, 29. Brent Harvey, 30. Jarrad Waite, 32. Mason Wood, 34. Jamie Macmillan, 35. Aaron Black, 36. Joel Tippett, 43. Sam Gibson, 50. Ben Brown

Putting together a team from that list:

Wright - Tippett - Mullett
MacMillan - Thompson - Atley
Wells - Ziebell - Dal Santo
Anderson - Petrie - Harvey
Thomas - Brown - Waite

Goldstein - Swallow - Cunnington

Jacobs / Firrito / Clarke / McDonald / Garner / Black / Gibson / Wood

If we were picking the 22 for Round 1, those in bold would make up the bench, for mine.

This obviously does not include Tarrant (takes Tippett's spot).

Dont really care about the win/loss but going to be watching a couple of players very closely this week. Beause providing theres no injuries saturday theres going to be some massive calls before rd1. Imo can only pick one of Jed/Garner, can you squeeze in LMac/Fishy with Atley,Wright & JMac?, will Clarke be the biggest suprise and pluck the 22nd spot come rd1. So good having so many to choose from, but so hard to leave so many out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very interesting.

It appears Clarke is ahead of Dumont and probably a smokey for Rnd 1.

Dumont hasn't done a lot wrong at senior level, I think he would be close to a best 22 regular if there was no sub rule tbh.

Is it is simple as Clarke being more flexible and having more pace which is an area we are clearly trying to address with Anderson? Dumont is right up there but at the end of the day he is probably a genuine mid only and may only find a place due to injury or severe form drop in one of the core guys. They may just think it is more likely that Clarke will be needed and his form is good.

Where is Turner at?
He'll be right. I wouldn't expect to see a great deal of him this year and expect that he will be asked to develop more of a midfield / half forward game in the VFL. A slow burner.

Putting together a team from that list:

Wright - Tippett - Mullett
MacMillan - Thompson - Atley
Wells - Ziebell - Dal Santo
Anderson - Petrie - Harvey
Thomas - Brown - Waite

Goldstein - Swallow - Cunnington

Jacobs / Firrito / Clarke / McDonald / Garner / Black / Gibson / Wood

If we were picking the 22 for Round 1, those in bold would make up the bench, for mine.

This obviously does not include Tarrant (takes Tippett's spot).

I don't think they will play both McDonald and Mullett, I think the coaches will prefer Garner and Anderson vs McDonald and Mullett.

3 of Garner, Anderson, McDonald and Mullett will play.

Is it is simple as Clarke being more flexible and having more pace which is an area we are clearly trying to address with Anderson? Dumont is right up there but at the end of the day he is probably a genuine mid only and may only find a place due to injury or severe form drop in one of the core guys. They may just think it is more likely that Clarke will be needed and his form is good.
As long as he can find the pill better than a horny senior citizen.

They are both natural accumulators, Clarke is more outside and links the play better though, he stretches the lines, which is probably needed more from a bench player.

Jacobs/Gibson and potentially NDS would want to have strong starts to the season.

What's NDS' contract situation? With the Vet's list being abolished, we won't be losing a huge amount of output on the field if we give his game time to Dumont or Clarke next season, on probably 25% of the wages.

When you add in Tarrant and Higgins for round 1 some good players are going to miss out.

I think when you factor in Higgins, we are only playing 1 of Garner or Anderson.

I've said this before, but I don't think Dumont will ever get an extended run in this team.

Potentially 3 midfield spots will open up in the next 2 years with Harvey, NDS and potentially Wells retiring.

Some tough calls may have to be made in the next 2 years regardless.

Potentially 3 midfield spots will open up in the next 2 years with Harvey, NDS and potentially Wells retiring.

Some tough calls may have to be made in the next 2 years regardless.

Yeah, but he just isn't that outside class (he can play there, but is better suited inside)

IMO, he'll seek opportunity elsewhere and I wouldn't blame him.

Jacobs/Gibson and potentially NDS would want to have strong starts to the season.

Jacobs less so because of his role imo, but definitely Gibson/NDS are huge chances of falling behind especially if Clarke has a cracker first season. NDS is still good enough, but cant rely on his past to get him picked this year imo. Few big calls to be expected this year and NDS/Gibson could be one of them.

If Dal is left out at any point this year other then a "rest" then i can see it being the beginning of the end for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back