NEAFL 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a clear vision in canberra now for demons to be successful. i understand all positions at the club will be up for grabs at the end of 2016 season to allow for clean air, football dept., board and all. Young is a good get as footy manager and should stay. knows his stuff. A lot of blood is on the floor in ACT footy, probably similar to QFL recently, with several key players (Nick Salter, Josh Bennet, Simon Curtis, James Bennet, Kade Klemke and Chris Yorke) choosing not to join Demons.....bloody good side if they had! Still reckon over the next 5 years, if theres still a NEAFL, that dees will be strong, drawing from ACT and Riverina areas.

As I said a few days ago,,, I feel Aspley will be the ones to beat .... Thunder will be there as of the Giants and Swans .
I feel Southport will be the big improvers ,,, have recruited very well .... watch out for the recruit from South Gambier ,,, his name is Wilson ,,, nickname is Boots ,,,, is a very good player and should do very well in the NEAFL

Folks, time to show your skills - it's time to start the NEAFL 2016 footy tipping comp.
No rules really, except that your tips must be in by the bounce of the ball.
No prizes either really, other than bragging rights.
Anyone can enter.
If you miss a week then you get the away team

If you want to discuss varying these rules, or adding more, then I'm happy to engage. But let's agree on the rules early before the season starts.

Come on punters, show us ya tips...............

ROUND 1
Brisbane Lions v Sydney Swans
Canberra Demons v Redland
Aspley v Southport
NT Thunder v Gold Coast Suns
Sydney University v Giants

My tips:-
Swans
Canberra
Aspley
Thunder
Sydney Uni

As I said a few days ago,,, I feel Aspley will be the ones to beat .... Thunder will be there as of the Giants and Swans .
I feel Southport will be the big improvers ,,, have recruited very well .... watch out for the recruit from South Gambier ,,, his name is Wilson ,,, nickname is Boots ,,,, is a very good player and should do very well in the NEAFL

Since this post I see Southport have lost Hunt and Weightman ... ummh ,, big losses , especially Hunt ..

Both QAFL and Neafl will be decent this yr

Hunt has finally been accepted as lions academy coach after conversations between lions and MB at HQ..sharks aren't happy but are hoping Hunt can play half a dozen after all the 18's stuff is finished.
Weightman has returned home but sharks may announce a former player returning from down south very shortly..
Sharks recruit Evan Panozza has been rubbed out for 2 weeks after last trial v Redlands..
Sharks v Bumblebees should be a ripper at Graham Rd...is Payney playing?

Redlands v Canberra interesting match up on the massive deck down at gunghalin...Unknown a little the lads from ACT

Injuries already having an effect on Suns and Lions so it's a wait and see approach on the availability of state 18's before tipping with any confidence here

I wouldn't have thought the StMarys v Wanderas issue would not affect NT in the short term with a bucket load of depth to draw from..NT have assembled a quality list as usual

Swans and GWS will be strong as usual with GWS putting out 23 6'1 greyhounds each week...catch me if u can the Giants to be coached by ex mtgravatt lad Brad Miller

Will wait for teams before tipping!

Both QAFL and Neafl will be decent this yr

Hunt has finally been accepted as lions academy coach after conversations between lions and MB at HQ..sharks aren't happy but are hoping Hunt can play half a dozen after all the 18's stuff is finished.
Weightman has returned home but sharks may announce a former player returning from down south very shortly..
Sharks recruit Evan Panozza has been rubbed out for 2 weeks after last trial v Redlands..
Sharks v Bumblebees should be a ripper at Graham Rd...is Payney playing?

Redlands v Canberra interesting match up on the massive deck down at gunghalin...Unknown a little the lads from ACT

Injuries already having an effect on Suns and Lions so it's a wait and see approach on the availability of state 18's before tipping with any confidence here

I wouldn't have thought the StMarys v Wanderas issue would not affect NT in the short term with a bucket load of depth to draw from..NT have assembled a quality list as usual

Swans and GWS will be strong as usual with GWS putting out 23 6'1 greyhounds each week...catch me if u can the Giants to be coached by ex mtgravatt lad Brad Miller

Will wait for teams before tipping!
Demons missing Faul and Lachie Harper from best 22. They are a pretty young side but I reckon most Neafl sides are getting younger. They will be a lot stronger than last year but still lack depth. Baker was CHB for NSW U18s in 2012 and has played 20 odd Neafl games. Missed a lot of last year with an ankle.
Dont know if the coach Waite will play this year. had surgery on his back recently. He would add strength and experience.
I hear Redlands have recruited 12 new players. Difficult to replace those drafted. Looking forward to the game as I saw Redlands last year v Ainslie and they were well organized.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"It hasn’t been the greatest of preparations for the Lions, who were thumped by 92 points by Gold Coast in their final practice match last week. "
This quote is from the NEAFL website...to help me with my tipping, am I best advised to tip against the Lions every week ? They were very ordinary when I saw them once last season.

"It hasn’t been the greatest of preparations for the Lions, who were thumped by 92 points by Gold Coast in their final practice match last week. "
This quote is from the NEAFL website...to help me with my tipping, am I best advised to tip against the Lions every week ? They were very ordinary when I saw them once last season.
I'd say so, yes. Unless they drop Zorko, Merrett, and Rich back to the two's, I am not sure they will get near anyone. Their list is putrid !!

Grimlock,
Are you going to roll your arm over again in the footy tipping ?? We need a benchmark to know what it will take to come second !!
Saw Redlands v Canberra today. perfect conditions and deck. overall redlands bigger and better drilled. they spread well and broke lines. missed several gettable 2nd qt goals and probably deserved to win by 30. Grewar wellar good....himmelberg presented well. looks a type.
Canberra over handballed and overall used ball poorly. when they did string it together they opened Redlands up. easy day for redland back 6. Demons did keep coming however which is encouraging. a few boys were cramping late. better signs for Canberra but still look a bit short on talent

Got back from Aspley vs Southport. It was an interesting game. Aspley lost their way in the 3rd a bit but regained composure. Hutchison v Anthony was a great matchup. I would give the points to Hutchy but if Southport could deliver the ball it would be a different story. If Aspley can get their ruck position stitched up their midfielders will love it. Nelis kicked some goals and it was interesting to see Eddy Sansbery in the backline and run off his player.

Got back from Aspley vs Southport. It was an interesting game. Aspley lost their way in the 3rd a bit but regained composure. Hutchison v Anthony was a great matchup. I would give the points to Hutchy but if Southport could deliver the ball it would be a different story. If Aspley can get their ruck position stitched up their midfielders will love it. Nelis kicked some goals and it was interesting to see Eddy Sansbery in the backline and run off his player.
Must of been a good contest
I hear Southport have signed Todd Grayson whom is returning after a season with the Wodonga Raiders in the Ovens and Murray league ,,, a huge get !!!

ROUND 2
Southport v Canberra
Swans v UWS Giants
Sydney Uni v Thunder
GCSuns v Aspley
Redlands v Lions

My tips:-
Southport
Swans
Thunder
Aspley
Redlands

I just thought of some new rules - I don't think you will disagree with any of these but speak up if you do:-

* 1/2 a point for a draw, 2 points if you correctly tip a draw.
* If a game is washed out and postponed, you will get an opportunity to change your tip when the game is rescheduled.
* If the site crashes and some people get their tips in but others don't, those who didn't get to tip will be given the average scores of those who did.
* If you miss 3 weeks in a row, you are eliminated.

Last edited:
Jack Anthony was robbed of a clear great mark and they missed a sitter from the contest. Then Payne handballs the ball out deliberately a minute later. Umpires confused.

Damo,
Jack Anthony had a great game and he will make a big difference to the Sharks, its a shame the other big signed so called stars did not contribute and the only thing Paynie did deliberately was soak his foot in an ice bath as it burnt up the Graham Road Ground once again, Aspley too strong all over the ground even with some under done players who were blowing big time at the end of the game.

Sounds like you have found a little long lost bro love for the Sharks???? Given what they got away with over the last 20 years of domination in QAFL footy, a few missed decisions yesterday may have been just a little karma.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back