Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

And yet I think that Cunningham has had a great start to the year. Unlike last year, I am feeling calm when he is in possession or near the ball. I like to feel calm.
Yeah I agree, he's done well so far. Ultimately I think guys like Reid and Rohan will come back in to cover for other guys who get injured, then it'll be a matter of settling on the best available 22 for the pointy end of the season.

We have invested plenty in Reid. Be such a shame to see another club benefit from that.
Kid is still young
I said the same thing about Jesse, Jed, Biggsy & Johno before we got rid of them. Not 1 of them has yet proved our list managers wrong.

I have faith the club will make the right call if push comes to shove.

* I agree with you too FWIW. Reckon Reidy can be a gun.

I said the same thing about Jesse, Jed, Biggsy & Johno before we got rid of them. Not 1 of them has yet proved our list managers wrong.

I have faith the club will make the right call if push comes to shove.

* I agree with you too FWIW. Reckon Reidy can be a gun.
Biggs is averaging 29 pos and just got 2 years extended contract

Biggs has the 3rd most uncontested possessions this year.
Biggs ranked 4th for uncontested possessions per game this year.
How was the opposition? Or does that only apply when looking at Swans performances?

At 25 Biggs should be playing the best footy of his life. Had every chance at the Swans and wasn't good enough.
Good on him for getting a contract extension and proving he could play seniors.

Biggs has the 3rd most uncontested possessions this year.
Biggs ranked 4th for uncontested possessions per game this year.
How was the opposition? Or does that only apply when looking at Swans performances?

At 25 Biggs should be playing the best footy of his life. Had every chance at the Swans and wasn't good enough.
Good on him for getting a contract extension and proving he could play seniors.

Every chance? Yeah if only he had every chance Reid has had

Reid is 25 on big money long term deal

Held to no standard because he is tall

Been one of our dumbest contracts in this clubs history thus far

Reid is 24 and I'd doubt his long term deal is too far above the average wage.

Tall guys who start out skinny always take a few years to develop. An injury free Sam Reid would be a huge asset to the Swans, but overcoming those injuries could be the battle.

Yep all of this. Can still be a serviceable player. But that contract now looks a bit silly

Biggs is averaging 29 pos and just got 2 years extended contract
I think Number37 covered it well.

Anyway, my argument isn't those blokes are duds. I said they haven't proved us wrong and hit the levels we all originally expected they would. Biggs is probably the closest to doung so but he is very "outside" & not the kind of damaging player I think we thought he was going to be. In any event he needed to make way for the Mills, Heeney & Papleys of the world (all upgrades for our club atm IMO).

Yep all of this. Can still be a serviceable player. But that contract now looks a bit silly
He's still young. He carried our fwd line for a while & has had more changes than a barry humphries best of half hr musical. Give him a break I reckon.

I hope he bulks up a touch and finds form ala Tom Hawkins a few years back. Those tall lanky kids can turn out to be unstoppable beasts given half a chance and it's been proven time & again that tall KPP's tend to take a bit longer than others. I reckon given a solid role Sam can cement his spot & prove a few wrong.

He's still young. He carried our fwd line for a while & has had more changes than a barry humphries best of half hr musical. Give him a break I reckon.

I hope he bulks up a touch and finds form ala Tom Hawkins a few years back. Those tall lanky kids can turn out to be unstoppable beasts given half a chance and it's been proven time & again that tall KPP's tend to take a bit longer than others. I reckon given a solid role Sam can cement his spot & prove a few wrong.

Nothing against the guy, he had a ripper season just before the contract and was one grabbing everything so was probably worth it at the time. But hasnt worked out to be worth it. He can still be a good solid AFL player but he was a future star back then and i cant see him hitting those heights. But a solid 200 game player if his body holds up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This conversation is simply garbage. Anyone who reckons Reid hasn't lived up to his contract has far too simplistic a view of football.

Here's some breaking news.......footy is no longer played like it was in the 80s.

Reid's second, third, and fourth efforts make him worth every cent of his contract. Never mind the structural value he delivers.

Reid doesn't get injured in 2015 Semi, we play in a home Prelim. That's about as close to a fact as a footy opinion can be.

This thread is giving me flashbacks to the Tom Mitchell thread from last year :p

This thread is giving me flashbacks to the Tom Mitchell thread from last year :p
We should be taking bets on the start date of the "Callum Mills is garbage" thread.

Reid is 24 and I'd doubt his long term deal is too far above the average wage.

Tall guys who start out skinny always take a few years to develop. An injury free Sam Reid would be a huge asset to the Swans, but overcoming those injuries could be the battle.

He is well behind plenty of others on much smaller deals

How much more upside is there

To me he is a defender and thats the mistake we have made

This conversation is simply garbage. Anyone who reckons Reid hasn't lived up to his contract has far too simplistic a view of football.

Here's some breaking news.......footy is no longer played like it was in the 80s.

Reid's second, third, and fourth efforts make him worth every cent of his contract. Never mind the structural value he delivers.

Reid doesn't get injured in 2015 Semi, we play in a home Prelim. That's about as close to a fact as a footy opinion can be.

Reid has played almost 100 games

With him in the team we were struggling to score 100 like ever

What does he add to the forward structure?

He is behind much cheaper options in the afl as a forward, goes gamea without doing much at all

Think we should close this thread and open it when he is a little older
I'm in support of this if I don't have to continually read boring ad nausium and at times underhanded smartarse posts that add nothing to the discussion.

We get it, you don't rate him.

I also think his contract is probably overstated. My memory of the deal included incentive clauses for reaching heights he obviously has not reached.

If he doesn't fit in the forward structure lets work to make him a defender.

He has been lost since Tippett and Franklin came on board and thrown from place to place across the ground. He hardly played in the forward structure last year and when he did, when certain players were missing, he was pretty good.

I certainly haven't given up on an athletic tall with elite marking capacity - we perhaps just need to find a role he can actually settle into.

Don't agree with some on here about Reid.
Injury has stalled any momentum he has been able to gain.
He has shown that once he gets a number of consecutive games under his belt, he becomes a wonderful swing player for us.

Now do we choose to move him on because he is always susceptible to injury?
That's a different argument. The Bulldogs signed Biggs up for 2 years & that's fantastic, but he said in his interview yesterday that he committed to the Bulldogs when they showed their interest in him, before we had any hope of enticing him to stay as Mals replacement, away from his home state. He was gone & the club knew it the minute he chose not to sign on. It happens.

Rohan is in the same boat as Reid. Do we trade these guys to gain more durable players that will fit our requirements? I'm sure the club know how to handle such situations.

We are ahead of the game on many fronts as a club. Expansion & Free Agency changed the landscape when it came to contracts so we signed Reid & Tom Mitchell up for 5 years or we would have lost one or both back then & we wouldn't have heard the end of it on here. All the other clubs are following suit with 5 year contracts after we started the trend. The Dogs, whose president sunk the boots into us for being irresponsible when signing Buddy to his contract, then go on to sign a 19 YO unknown quantity in Boyd, to a long term $1M per year contract & they are viewed as geniuses. F . . k o . f

It's one thing when the world outside the Swans keep taking repetitive potshots at us for every decision we make & then jump the gun early in criticising us, only to be proven wrong the majority of the time.
But it's another thing & bordering on foolish when supporters from within do the same, but in the same sentence are demanding that we make sure we sign other players up so as not to lose them to the go home factor.

You can't have it both ways. That's why we leave the contracts to best guys in the business.
Now do we offer Hewitt 2 years at 350K (700K) or 5 years at $400K per year ($2M) knowing full well that the Crows or The Power will want him back home?

As a club that has lost out many times in the past to the go home factor, after investing heavily in players, we HAVE to be smarter & a little more 'risky' with any contracts we do to keep this talent with us.

Now don't go & give me any genius hindsight examples & responses, because our club doesn't have the benefit of hindsight when making these tough calls in order to stay relevant in this pro Victorian 'National Competition' known as the AFL!

I'm in support of this if I don't have to continually read boring ad nausium and at times underhanded smartarse posts that add nothing to the discussion.

This. I've been letting the thread go as it is all part of the battle for ideas, but let's try to keep this thread to genuine discussion of the player rather than repeating points that have already been made.

Take a chill pill ffs , it's a little laughter , just cause some don't rate him as high as others doesn't mean you get to carry on like a child

Remove this Banner Ad

Back