Toast Fremantle's 1st Pick: Darcy Tucker

The slugos were impressive and I reckon you're on the money.

More concerning is the music. Sounds like a wedding video with the groomsmen doing their pre-wedding day stuff. My sister got married the other day and without the car talk on the way to beach and Barlow's sluggers it could have been cut into their wedding vid without being noticeable.
Jeez, Tony Barlow's have let their standards slip haven't they?

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Gach Nyuon knows what's up!

9e668a4ab719e859b10cbcdad39c0fd5.png

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Has almost already proved himself as the biggest bargain from the 2015 draft. Unbelievable that we could pick up a talent as good as Tucker at pick 27. I'm also still amazed at how well he did in that first NAB game, and he's backed it up in the last 2 rounds of WAFL as well. Hopefully he plays again today, dominates, and gets his AFL debut in the coming weeks...

Basic Stats (NAB)
Game 1 - 21 disposals (15 kicks), 66.7% DE, 8 marks, 3 tackles, 3 r50s, 1 i50, 0 goals, 62%TOG

Basic Stats (WAFL)
Rd 1 - 10 disposals (6 kicks), 4 marks, 0 tackles, 0 i50s, 0 goals
Rd 2 - 22 disposals (11 kicks), 6 marks, 4 tackles, 3 i50s, 0 goals
Rd 3 - 21 disposals (13 kicks), 7 marks, 2 tackles, 3 i50s, 2 goals

Coaches Comments (WAFL)
Rd 1 - Had a fair game across halfback where he finished with 10 disposals.
Rd 2 - Played a solid game on the wing. His kicking was very good going forward and worked very hard after a quiet game last week.
Rd 3 - Played on the wing all game and used his left foot effectively, hitting up targets and then kicking two goals himself when he pushed forward. Finished the game with 21 touches.

I'm still not sure what his weaknesses are. Other than a bit of inconsistency he seems to be pretty good at everything:
  • Outside Game - he knows how to rack up disposals, run and carry with pace and poise, and in most cases deliver effectively by foot.
  • Interceptor - another good play reader, he puts himself in good positions to intercept.
  • Pressure - he works hard in both directions and knows how to apply a tackle.
  • Flexibility - he can play off half back, on a wing or could even pinch hit in the middle at some point in the future with his already strong body.
  • Athletic - he has elite endurance and agility.
The main reason I like Tucker in our team is it gives us another left footer that can provide that run off half back, classy delivery inside 50, and can work with and rotate through on the wing with Hill. I do like what guys like Weller and Langdon bring but I think Tucker has the potential to be our best recruit since Fyfe.

Inveigh Slang

Club Legend
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Has almost already proved himself as the biggest bargain from the 2015 draft. Unbelievable that we could pick up a talent as good as Tucker at pick 27. I'm also still amazed at how well he did in that first NAB game, and he's backed it up in the last 2 rounds of WAFL as well. Hopefully he plays again today, dominates, and gets his AFL debut in the coming weeks...

Basic Stats (NAB)
Game 1 - 21 disposals (15 kicks), 66.7% DE, 8 marks, 3 tackles, 3 r50s, 1 i50, 0 goals, 62%TOG

Basic Stats (WAFL)
Rd 1 - 10 disposals (6 kicks), 4 marks, 0 tackles, 0 i50s, 0 goals
Rd 2 - 22 disposals (11 kicks), 6 marks, 4 tackles, 3 i50s, 0 goals
Rd 3 - 21 disposals (13 kicks), 7 marks, 2 tackles, 3 i50s, 2 goals

Coaches Comments (WAFL)
Rd 1 - Had a fair game across halfback where he finished with 10 disposals.
Rd 2 - Played a solid game on the wing. His kicking was very good going forward and worked very hard after a quiet game last week.
Rd 3 - Played on the wing all game and used his left foot effectively, hitting up targets and then kicking two goals himself when he pushed forward. Finished the game with 21 touches.

I'm still not sure what his weaknesses are. Other than a bit of inconsistency he seems to be pretty good at everything:
  • Outside Game - he knows how to rack up disposals, run and carry with pace and poise, and in most cases deliver effectively by foot.
  • Interceptor - another good play reader, he puts himself in good positions to intercept.
  • Pressure - he works hard in both directions and knows how to apply a tackle.
  • Flexibility - he can play off half back, on a wing or could even pinch hit in the middle at some point in the future with his already strong body.
  • Athletic - he has elite endurance and agility.
The main reason I like Tucker in our team is it gives us another left footer that can provide that run off half back, classy delivery inside 50, and can work with and rotate through on the wing with Hill. I do like what guys like Weller and Langdon bring but I think Tucker has the potential to be our best recruit since Fyfe.

A bold last statement

yakka man

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Was thinking yesterday that he has definitely lifted 10-15% on last year and is contributing a lot to the team lifting by around that amount.

A lot of people wrote him off too. Always liked what I saw. You need talented players in a good team, and he still has a bit of scope to improve too.

crazylegsdayne

Debutant
Jul 2, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
With all of the talk of Brayshaw, Cerra, and Serong, Tucker has become a bit of the forgotten man in the middle. The more i think about it the more i hope and kind of wonder if we try him on the wing next season. He's got the tank and athleticism for it, a massive left leg, and he played some half back during his junior footy. The one glaring weakness he has in the middle is that he can go missing from time and time and that'll be less of an issue on the outside, which is clearly our biggest positional weakness on our list.

yakka man

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
With all of the talk of Brayshaw, Cerra, and Serong, Tucker has become a bit of the forgotten man in the middle. The more i think about it the more i hope and kind of wonder if we try him on the wing next season. He's got the tank and athleticism for it, a massive left leg, and he played some half back during his junior footy. The one glaring weakness he has in the middle is that he can go missing from time and time and that'll be less of an issue on the outside, which is clearly our biggest positional weakness on our list.

Unfortunately Tucker got injured just before Brayshaw and Cerra started to lift their outputs. This would've helped feed Tucker the ball on the outside.

Jun 4, 2008
Kardinya
AFL Club
Fremantle
Noticed that Tucker has racked up 78 games & is in line to potentially crack the tonne this season.
Was looking promising prior to his injury last season, but I've generally found him to be a bit tentative & patchy.
With the emergence of Brayshaw, Cerra & Seeing + with the likes of Young, Valente, Chapman, O'Driscoll coming through, I assume he'll have to bring more of his A-game more consistently to remain part of the midfield rotation.
I wonder if 2021 will be the year he earns his stripes?

Sent from my CPH1931 using Tapatalk

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Noticed that Tucker has racked up 78 games & is in line to potentially crack the tonne this season.
Was looking promising prior to his injury last season, but I've generally found him to be a bit tentative & patchy.
With the emergence of Brayshaw, Cerra & Seeing + with the likes of Young, Valente, Chapman, O'Driscoll coming through, I assume he'll have to bring more of his A-game more consistently to remain part of the midfield rotation.
I wonder if 2021 will be the year he earns his stripes?

Sent from my CPH1931 using Tapatalk
That is a seriously decent core group evolving. Tucker is best 22 in my opinion but suffers from a lack of definition in his role. You mention Young, Chapman and O’Driscoll all of whom are looking to play between half back and midfield, just like Tucker does. Walker is another for that position. Someone is going to need to reinvent themselves.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Not bashing Darcy, but it’s concerning how much of a drop off he’s having the last two years. Get that he came back after two weeks off, but he’s just not the same player. There’s more cattle that can take his spot- Erasmus, Crowden deserves a chance, Blakely has been playing well for Peel, even Banfield

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Not bashing Darcy, but it’s concerning how much of a drop off he’s having the last two years. Get that he came back after two weeks off, but he’s just not the same player. There’s more cattle that can take his spot- Erasmus, Crowden deserves a chance, Blakely has been playing well for Peel, even Banfield

Had 5 clearances at half time before going off concussed in the derby.

Banfield plays a different role and Blakely should be done with us.

Tucker needs to play better than last night but I still think there's something there.

Last edited:
Back