2016 QFA NORTH

Remove this Banner Ad

What is going on at Moreton Bay and Aspley have they recruited anyone or is the final 4 already decided.

Little to no recruiting done at Aspley. There is no money to spend which is the a by product of having a team in the NEAFL however another by product of that is having a youth system that allows them to bring through all their youngsters without them leaving to go and play at other clubs. It has been the vision with this group to grow and build with the successful U17's and U19's teams over the past few years. There is a big influx of young players this year and although the side may not make a massive leap because of inconsistency etc the depth of the squad has improved and it's onwards and upwards.

If the juniors coming through are going to play at QAFL clubs surely you should be okay with this - kids looking to better themselves - and then the door is always left open for return if it doesnt work out? The boys playing in Aspley's QFA side would be those who arent quite good enough to either play QAFL (or choose not to). If the club is dearth of $$ because every brass razoo is shuffled to the NEAFL side then that is called an imbalance imo. Yep, the NEAFL side would love to win the premiership every year but in reality the major focus should be to get kids drafted through excellent coaching. Is Aspley's biggest achievement over the last few years winning a premiership and playing off in another or having a guy like Wagner debuting tomorrow, and another in Andrews mixing it at AFL level?? I think the latter bc anyone can win a premiership if they throw enough money at it.
Surely you arent pretending that playing 17's at Aspley is a motivating force for some of these kids to get a leg up in the NEAFL side? Because it is total rubbish if so.

Well thought I would pop down the road to have a look at Caloundra v Aspley.
Very hot and humid was a close game until 4th quarter when Aspley called for a player count sure enough Caloundra had 19 on the field. Caloundra's score was changed to zero and a penalty awarded.
Then everything went haywire the siren went about five minutes later and a Caloundra offical entered the playing field and all hell broke lose with official being red carded. The game was restarted some time later with Caloundra's score being reinstated. I bet umpires are still filling out the reports. So even though Caloundra won it could be a short lived victory.
Pity about the whole incident spoilt the game. Be interesting to see what AFLQ do about the whole incident.

Well thought I would pop down the road to have a look at Caloundra v Aspley.
Very hot and humid was a close game until 4th quarter when Aspley called for a player count sure enough Caloundra had 19 on the field. Caloundra's score was changed to zero and a penalty awarded.
Then everything went haywire the siren went about five minutes later and a Caloundra offical entered the playing field and all hell broke lose with official being red carded. The game was restarted some time later with Caloundra's score being reinstated. I bet umpires are still filling out the reports. So even though Caloundra won it could be a short lived victory.
Pity about the whole incident spoilt the game. Be interesting to see what AFLQ do about the whole incident.
Yes thats what happened but the rule being that 19 on the field results in your score being wound back to zero changed 2 years ago.

So the caloundra official was right to enter the field and let the umpire know that this was the case.
It was the most bizzare last qtr that i have ever witnessed.
The panthers had there noses in front all day and deserved to win.

We heard about this down at Burpengary and the 1st comment was "I'm sure you dont lose your score when there is 19 on the ground anymore". A free kick in the goal square and then another free at the resulting centre bounce I thought? Thats really poor by the umpire who should know the rules anyway.

Last edited:
Maybe but the rules on the AFLQ web site differ. Although from my experience not much is correct on that site. Current rules say 2015.
It did not look good when a Caloundra player had to put himself between umpires and the official. I am sure there will be more said about it but will be kept in house by AFLQ.

From the 'Laws of Australian Football 2016'

5.5.3 Players Exceeding Permitted Number
Where a Team has more than the permitted number of Players on the Playing Surface, the following shall apply: (a) a field Umpire shall award a Free Kick to the captain or acting captain of the opposing Team, which shall be taken at the Centre Circle or where play was stopped, whichever is the greater penalty against the offending Team; (b) a Fifty-Metre Penalty shall then be imposed from the position where the Free Kick was awarded; and (c) the Team shall lose all points which it has scored in the Match up to the time of the count.

The fact that Caloundra had 19 players on the field is not disputed. It was a mistake after the 3/4 time break.
I was at the game and based on this the umpires handled it perfectly. If this rule book that was distributed to the umpires to read is incorrect, it is NOT the fault of the umpires. What I witnessed was a Footy Club that lacks controlled and dignified leadership. It was an unusual incident that required a some poise and emotional control. It was a disgrace that Caloundra's President instructed the timekeepers to sound the siren during a game and then enter the playing arena and dictate (in very colourful language) to the umpires what should happen. He apparently took advice on the phone from an AFLQ competition manager. I wonder what question he asked of this manager and what his discription of the incident was? He definitely brought the game into disrepute and should be heavily punished at the tribunal.

To Aspleys credit they played the game out and conducted themselves well considering the confusion and emotion going on around them.

But to all the footy experts who are quick to bag the umpires, I suggest you sit tight on your judgement of these two.

1. The qafl website only has the 2015 stated for us to go on. There is no 2016 rules for the public to see on their website. And it is the exact same rule as the Afl.

2. The Afl's rules are stated above which was carried out by to a Tee by the umpires.

3. Are you trying to tell me that our game has had the same penanlty for an extremely rare and obscure rule for 150 years, the highest governing body in the AFL still follow this rule but someone at Aflq level has recently (last year or two) changed this rule despite it.. AND that people are adament it has changed (pretty obscure rule to have known about) on game day.

If what the Caloundra President is saying is correct then fair play but he has no right to enter the playing surface at any stage and he should be reprimanded accordingly.

I'm confident the 4 points will be heading down the Bruce Highway

Caloundra president rang the AFLQ North co-ordinator straight away after it happened (about 15secs into the 4th quarter). AFLQ person told them to re-instate the scores immediately because the rules changed 2 years ago. Caloundra president went onto the field to talk to the umpires nicely (to start with), then when the umpires were being arrogant and rude he had a go at them. If they had allowed the match to go ahead with the scores put back to 0 and then made a decision after the match it would not have been fair. It was a simple mistake at 3qtr time and Aspley tried to take advantage of it. Then after the match only a single person from Aspley stuck around.
In regards to the umpiring for the whole match it was terrible both ways.

Yes thats what happened but the rule being that 19 on the field results in your score being wound back to zero changed 2 years ago.

So the caloundra official was right to enter the field and let the umpire know that this was the case.
It was the most bizzare last qtr that i have ever witnessed.
The panthers had there noses in front all day and deserved to win.

Thats contrary to the 2016 Laws of the Game, Suncoast. The Caloundra President says the rule changed 2 years ago, and you are saying the same, however I havent seen any evidence of that. Do you have a document that states a different rule to the one I posted earlier?

In relation to the President entering the field because he thought the umpire was wrong, just think how that could play out each week if it was allowed in our game. We could have officials entering all day long just because they disagreed with an umpires call - this bloke needs to be made an example of and the book thrown real hard at him as an example to all that its never ok to stop a game because you feel the umpires are wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. The qafl website only has the 2015 stated for us to go on. There is no 2016 rules for the public to see on their website. And it is the exact same rule as the Afl.

2. The Afl's rules are stated above which was carried out by to a Tee by the umpires.

3. Are you trying to tell me that our game has had the same penanlty for an extremely rare and obscure rule for 150 years, the highest governing body in the AFL still follow this rule but someone at Aflq level has recently (last year or two) changed this rule despite it.. AND that people are adament it has changed (pretty obscure rule to have known about) on game day.

If what the Caloundra President is saying is correct then fair play but he has no right to enter the playing surface at any stage and he should be reprimanded accordingly.

I'm confident the 4 points will be heading down the Bruce Highway
Dinga, the rule hasn't changed from 2015 to 2016. And yes the current version should be on the aflq website.

In relation to the President entering the field because he thought the umpire was wrong, just think how that could play out each week if it was allowed in our game. We could have officials entering all day long just because they disagreed with an umpires call - this bloke needs to be made an example of and the book thrown real hard at him as an example to all that its never ok to stop a game because you feel the umpires are wrong.

Its also not every week a team incorrectly gets all its points taken off it due to an umpire error. They also had AFLQ on the phone at the time so its even a possibility that AFLQ told them to do that.

Thats contrary to the 2016 Laws of the Game, Suncoast. The Caloundra President says the rule changed 2 years ago, and you are saying the same, however I havent seen any evidence of that. Do you have a document that states a different rule to the one I posted earlier?

Mate from what ive been told by the President
He had aflq on the phone who told him to tell timekeeper to blow siren and stop the game.
The game was stopped president entered the field told umpire the rules, he was then red carded, play resumed then umpire stopped game himself 2-3 mins later went to scoreboard reinstated scores qtr played out and caloundra won by a few goals.

He

He was told by AFLQ to stop game and enter the field. Would you not if in his shoes?

From the 'Laws of Australian Football 2016'

5.5.3 Players Exceeding Permitted Number
Where a Team has more than the permitted number of Players on the Playing Surface, the following shall apply: (a) a field Umpire shall award a Free Kick to the captain or acting captain of the opposing Team, which shall be taken at the Centre Circle or where play was stopped, whichever is the greater penalty against the offending Team; (b) a Fifty-Metre Penalty shall then be imposed from the position where the Free Kick was awarded; and (c) the Team shall lose all points which it has scored in the Match up to the time of the count.

The fact that Caloundra had 19 players on the field is not disputed. It was a mistake after the 3/4 time break.
I was at the game and based on this the umpires handled it perfectly. If this rule book that was distributed to the umpires to read is incorrect, it is NOT the fault of the umpires. What I witnessed was a Footy Club that lacks controlled and dignified leadership. It was an unusual incident that required a some poise and emotional control. It was a disgrace that Caloundra's President instructed the timekeepers to sound the siren during a game and then enter the playing arena and dictate (in very colourful language) to the umpires what should happen. He apparently took advice on the phone from an AFLQ competition manager. I wonder what question he asked of this manager and what his discription of the incident was? He definitely brought the game into disrepute and should be heavily punished at the tribunal.

To Aspleys credit they played the game out and conducted themselves well considering the confusion and emotion going on around them.

But to all the footy experts who are quick to bag the umpires, I suggest you sit tight on your judgement of these two.

Yep fair cop Bud - the booklet the umpires are distributed does say exactly what you have written and therefore the umps would be correct in their jurisdiction of the rule but.. if you read the rules on the AFLQ web site they do contradict this. I have copied below (deleted the parts that dont really apply although it would be interesting if Aspley did have an interchange steward and didnt pick this up nor did the caloundra one... )

Think its tough to bag the Caloundra pres too based on what a couple here have said - I mean what is he to do? Stands to reason that if the play just continued the Caloundra lads are going to be thinking whats the point and the score blows out anyway. Maybe if he had walked on to the field, phone in hand, with the AFLQ official on the other end for quick explanation but obviously a really emotional situation.

3.1 Interchange Operation

Should the steward observe the teams being lined up for the purpose of a count, they should assist the field umpire if requested.

Where a player does not enter the playing surface as per the Laws of Australian Football, the interchange steward and/or field umpire shall report the circumstances to AFL Queensland or its affiliated League. Time and scores at the time of the breach are to be recorded. The League may determine the matter by way of fine, reversal of match result or other sanction as it deems appropriate.

Unless Law 7.3, ‘Use of Stretcher’ of the Laws of Australian Football, applies, a player, who does not exit the playing surface through the interchange area is unable to re-enter the playing surface for the remainder of the match.

If only the home side supplies an interchange steward there will be no discussion regarding complaints about any interchange steward procedure abnormalities received from visiting teams.

The interchange steward is responsible for noting any jumper changes during a match as well as other player movements on and off the ground during a match including, blood rule, send offs and stretcher cases. If there is no interchange steward in place refer to Laws of Australian Football. (Penalty 20 units)

Caloundra president rang the AFLQ North co-ordinator straight away after it happened (about 15secs into the 4th quarter). AFLQ person told them to re-instate the scores immediately because the rules changed 2 years ago. Caloundra president went onto the field to talk to the umpires nicely (to start with), then when the umpires were being arrogant and rude he had a go at them. If they had allowed the match to go ahead with the scores put back to 0 and then made a decision after the match it would not have been fair. It was a simple mistake at 3qtr time and Aspley tried to take advantage of it. Then after the match only a single person from Aspley stuck around.
In regards to the umpiring for the whole match it was terrible both ways.

TBH, I would like to think that if this was the situation in a game ie 15sec of 19 players then a bit of gentlemens agreement that obviously the play wasnt adversely affected and quick notification to the side in the wrong to get a player off (any player!) asap and reorganise themselves. Did Aspley decide to go the hard line here?

TBH, I would like to think that if this was the situation in a game ie 15sec of 19 players then a bit of gentlemens agreement that obviously the play wasnt adversely affected and quick notification to the side in the wrong to get a player off (any player!) asap and reorganise themselves. Did Aspley decide to go the hard line here?
Aspley did definitely not take the hard line and we're instructed to play the game as per normal.

Aspley took the hardline when there captain called a headcount almost immediately as the 4th quarter started. Ball had not even left the centre square.

Aspley took the hardline when there captain called a headcount almost immediately as the 4th quarter started. Ball had not even left the centre square.
What would you do if the opposition had too many players on the ground. Just continue to play and hope that it fixes itself??? You recollection of events are quite different to what I witnessed

Its also not every week a team incorrectly gets all its points taken off it due to an umpire error. They also had AFLQ on the phone at the time so its even a possibility that AFLQ told them to do that.
Unless the Laws of the game previously quoted is wrong the umpires didn't get it wrong , Caloundra Pres and the AFLQ did. And if Caloundra as home team had a interchange steward as they are supposed to, they would have known they had 19 players on the field. Lots of Club error here. Only themselves to blame.
Yep fair cop Bud - the booklet the umpires are distributed does say exactly what you have written and therefore the umps would be correct in their jurisdiction of the rule but.. if you read the rules on the AFLQ web site they do contradict this. I have copied below (deleted the parts that dont really apply although it would be interesting if Aspley did have an interchange steward and didnt pick this up nor did the caloundra one... )

Think its tough to bag the Caloundra pres too based on what a couple here have said - I mean what is he to do? Stands to reason that if the play just continued the Caloundra lads are going to be thinking whats the point and the score blows out anyway. Maybe if he had walked on to the field, phone in hand, with the AFLQ official on the other end for quick explanation but obviously a really emotional situation.

3.1 Interchange Operation

Should the steward observe the teams being lined up for the purpose of a count, they should assist the field umpire if requested.

Where a player does not enter the playing surface as per the Laws of Australian Football, the interchange steward and/or field umpire shall report the circumstances to AFL Queensland or its affiliated League. Time and scores at the time of the breach are to be recorded. The League may determine the matter by way of fine, reversal of match result or other sanction as it deems appropriate.

Unless Law 7.3, ‘Use of Stretcher’ of the Laws of Australian Football, applies, a player, who does not exit the playing surface through the interchange area is unable to re-enter the playing surface for the remainder of the match.

If only the home side supplies an interchange steward there will be no discussion regarding complaints about any interchange steward procedure abnormalities received from visiting teams.

The interchange steward is responsible for noting any jumper changes during a match as well as other player movements on and off the ground during a match including, blood rule, send offs and stretcher cases. If there is no interchange steward in place refer to Laws of Australian Football. (Penalty 20 units)
A couple of things smy
- As the home team Caloundra are supposed to have an interchange steward, away team optional, and they didn't. If they had one the steward could have alerted the coaches and problem fixed before the start of 4th quarter. It might sound like I'm very critical of Caloundra, however it doesnt matter how you look at this, they are to blame for 1. No interchange steward 2. 19 players on the field 3. President instructing the siren to blow and entering the field and behaving in a threatening/abusive manner towards the umpire.
This was a good game of footy, 3 pt margin at half time, 9 pts at 3/4 time. The game was up for grabs. Bloody shame really, I was enjoying it.
Aspley's behaviour should not be questioned, they simply asked the umpire for a head count, which is protocol. Then the umps followed the rule book to the letter.
This wasnt an interchange infringement. What you refer to in the rule above is when a player enters the field of play incorrectly (ie not through the interchange area).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back