10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor
Jul 15, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fox Sports FC
LR you are an absolute bloody legend.

Here are a couple of key excerpts from later in Graham's article. As these are my words, I'm actually copying the source so I trust this satisfies the rules:

Denis Way provides an interesting insight to the Chinese tycoon who is so willing to invest generously in Port Adelaide.
“Mr Gui Guo Jie is a Buddhist ... an ardent practitioner of Buddhist principles in respect of the right way to treat his fellow man,” Way said.
“He is a university graduate from Shanghai, a city that prides itself in “doing it first and doing it best”.

Denis Way is convinced it would not have happened without the sacrifice of Peter Chant.
“If not for Peter Chant, nothing would have happened, I’m certain of that. Pete’s life goes on because of an item on an army mate’s bucket list, the aligning of planets, and a sequence of events started by Matthew Richardson (Port’s game development officer), approved by Kochie, KT and the PAFC board and supported by colleagues who have come out of the woodwork up here to assist their footy club on the road to Shanghai”, he wrote yesterday from Hong Kong.

Wildy asked why havent the crows tried to do what Port have done in China, in India. I almost picked up the phone to call him and all I would have said is, the crows don't the the equivalent of the Spirit of Peter Chant to drive any push to do what Port have done. That, and thank you Graham for your article today is all I would have said. Cornes would have understood me, Wildy and the majority of his listeners wouldn't have.

You need the intangibles of life to drive great things. It's rarely driven all by cold hard headed rational thoughts. A spirit is intangible as it gets.

SgtSchulz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2014
Bob McLean Sportsbar
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Mark Webber
Lockhart Road
image.jpeg

Couldn't be prouder that someone from our small part of the larger Port Adelaide community has played an influential part in getting our club to this incredible point. Better still it feels like only the tip of the iceberg.

Port 'Road' power rankings

1. Lockhart
2. Peter
3. The cemetery

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
This is the Graham Cornes I want so desperately to like.
I usually only skim read G. Cornes' articles but today I read it in full and kept looking for the usual dig at Port but never found one. Very good article by Graham and a big thank you to Lockhart Road :thumbsu:

This is the week when I go back to this thread, read Ford Fairlane's OP and the posts that follow it, raise a glass - as I'm doing now - and remember.
I remember April 2013 when we started 5 and 0, came from 7 goals down in the third vs West Coast in ANZAC Round at Footy Park - Peter Chant's match, when he was officially acknowledged by the Club and I gave Kochie a WTFRW tie with the three feathers on it, one representing Pete.
I remember how 1967 - fifty years ago - was the year Pete joined the Army.
This year is also the 50th anniversary, the jubilee, of 9th Battalion's (9RAR) formation at Keswick and Woodside.
The big reunion is in Adelaide in November.
Remember.
All that has happened since.
How can I ever forget.
How can I forget any bit of it?
Puts life, puts footy, in perspective. They go together, like great mates.

Last edited:

Rexie J

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2012
YP
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This is the week when I go back to this thread, read Ford Fairlane's OP and the posts that follow it, raise a glass - as I'm doing now - and remember.
I remember April 2013 when we started 5 and 0, came from 7 goals down in the third vs West Coast in ANZAC Round at Footy Park - Peter Chant's match, when he was officially acknowledged by the Club and I gave Kochie a WFRW tie with the three feathers on it, one representing Pete.
I remember how 1967 - fifty years ago - was the year Pete joined the Army.
This year is also the 50th anniversary, the jubilee, of 9th Battalion's (9RAR) formation at Keswick and Woodside.
The big reunion is in Adelaide in November.
Remember.
All that has happened since.
How can I ever forget.
How can I forget any bit of it?
Puts life, puts footy, in perspective. They go together, like great mates.

As only those who have walked in their comrades boots can say.

I can't believe this thread is already 4 years old. And yet it seems such a short time for so much to have happened from this beginning.

And now a 50th anniversary for you and your comrades LR.

I'm sure we all raise a glass with you and to your big heart that started this ball rolling. And of course to mates fallen and standing.

Back