VFL Sandringham v Footscray

Remove this Banner Ad

I wasnt potting him he will be a decent defender, just dont think he has the tools to make it as an attacking wingmen eg Hill.

I do believe we have far too many VFL strugglers still on the list eg Delaney, Holmes, Shenton, Murdoch, Saunders, Wright how many list cloggers do we need. These blokes arent developing they are another reminder of our indifferent recruiting history.
Can't get rid of them all in one year, these blokes were best 22 a few years ago shows how well ameetos and trout have done

Can't get rid of them all in one year, these blokes were best 22 a few years ago shows how well ameetos and trout have done

Saunders would get a game for the Bombers. Give them him for Hurley straight swap.

I wasnt potting him he will be a decent defender, just dont think he has the tools to make it as an attacking wingmen eg Hill.

I do believe we have far too many VFL strugglers still on the list eg Delaney, Holmes, Shenton, Murdoch, Saunders, Wright how many list cloggers do we need. These blokes arent developing they are another reminder of our indifferent recruiting history.
You should watch a replay of the comeback game against the Bulldogs last year. McKenzie has plenty of attacking qualities & tenacity to boot.

Also, watch his TAC cup pre-draft highlights package, he was one of the most attacking wing/half backs in the comp & his top end speed is lightning

Sounds like Murdoch continues to offer glimpses that he could be an AFL player. Interesting to see if he's given another contract.
He won't be offered a new contract based on today- looked far from AFL level. TV might have told a different story, but to those at the ground, he looks like a classic list-clogger....

Spent the game standing next to the Sandy Interchange..TDL spent the day coaching from ground level. Anyone know how far away he is? Also Burberry didnt play.
Other observations...

AFL standard footy>>>>>>>Grand Canyon>>>>>>>> VFL standard footy.

Gresh and TC the midfield standouts. Both had the ball on a string. Id have TC ahead of Eli for first choice depth midfield spot by a mile

Anyone who doubted the severity of Eli's injury should take a gander at his scar. A scary thing.

Skunk could have had a day out had he clunked a few of the marks he went for. Still provided a good presence and found plenty of the footy.

Im going there. Jason Holmes will struggle to stay on our list next year. Great when the ball is bounced but seemed to struggle when thrown up (doesnt go as high so timing different) and Im afraid offers very little around the ground. Tries his guts out but with ruckmen being rested forward far more now with the 90 rotation cap....big fella needs to do more.

Lewie our best big bloke today..and while Longer kicked a goal he didnt offer anywhere near as much around the ground as Hickey is in the seniors right now.

HG was good in patches but is still blowing up and is clearly not 100% match fit. Was mentioned last week in Tassie that he didnt rejoin full training after that collapse in Qld until late Jan. It affected him a lot more than originally reported. Getting there though.

Barring an horrendous run of injury I'd very very much doubt Wright, Shenton, Delaney or Murdoch will play senior footy this year. Saunders cant even get a game with the Sandy 1's so not sure if rookieing him has worked. Wright and Delaney especially have disposal that would make a C Grade Ammos coach cringe.

Brandon White did some nice things and I thought got better as the game went on. Has a lovely left hoof on him. Bailey Rice wasn't a standout but did what he did do efficiently. Nice to see his Dad there to support him too.

DMac quietly went about his game, not a standout but did little wrong.

Anyway they were my thoughts..

No love for Eli?

I spent the day standing in the pocket trying to eavesdrop on Finnis, Cox, Bains, & Andrew Thompson (too windy to hear anything....)

From where I stood Eli was the St Kilda listed player most worthy of mention, with Gresham showing some class (but also some newbieness....).

Agree with the rest of you notes though.

He won't be offered a new contract based on today- looked far from AFL level. TV might have told a different story, but to those at the ground, he looks like a classic list-clogger....
If that's the case, offer him to Richmond.... We'll probably get a 2nd rounder back for our troubles

Eli was clearly our best IMO. He looks like a different player at VFL level. Gresham and Pierce also very good - he should get a taste of senior footy at some point this year. Membrey does everything right except hold his marks and nail his set shots; if he manages to start finishing off his hard work we've got a gun, if he doesn't then we've got a forward who can't mark or kick.

White showed some glimpses of serious talent but won't have the tank for senior footy for a while. Rice showed some ability and will be an absolute beast after a few pre seasons. McKenzie is very neat and competent but needs to get much more of the footy. Hugh is struggling - there must be something going on there because he looks nothing like the player who impressed for St Kilda late last year. Delaney has lost interest and is cooked. Shenton and Curren are great VFL players but if we're truly improving we won't see them in saints colours again. Same goes for Murdoch except I wouldn't say he's a great VFL player.

Spent the game standing next to the Sandy Interchange..TDL spent the day coaching from ground level. Anyone know how far away he is? Also Burberry didnt play.
Other observations...

AFL standard footy>>>>>>>Grand Canyon>>>>>>>> VFL standard footy.

Gresh and TC the midfield standouts. Both had the ball on a string. Id have TC ahead of Eli for first choice depth midfield spot by a mile

Anyone who doubted the severity of Eli's injury should take a gander at his scar. A scary thing.

Skunk could have had a day out had he clunked a few of the marks he went for. Still provided a good presence and found plenty of the footy.

Im going there. Jason Holmes will struggle to stay on our list next year. Great when the ball is bounced but seemed to struggle when thrown up (doesnt go as high so timing different) and Im afraid offers very little around the ground. Tries his guts out but with ruckmen being rested forward far more now with the 90 rotation cap....big fella needs to do more.

Lewie our best big bloke today..and while Longer kicked a goal he didnt offer anywhere near as much around the ground as Hickey is in the seniors right now.

HG was good in patches but is still blowing up and is clearly not 100% match fit. Was mentioned last week in Tassie that he didnt rejoin full training after that collapse in Qld until late Jan. It affected him a lot more than originally reported. Getting there though.

Barring an horrendous run of injury I'd very very much doubt Wright, Shenton, Delaney or Murdoch will play senior footy this year. Saunders cant even get a game with the Sandy 1's so not sure if rookieing him has worked. Wright and Delaney especially have disposal that would make a C Grade Ammos coach cringe.

Brandon White did some nice things and I thought got better as the game went on. Has a lovely left hoof on him. Bailey Rice wasn't a standout but did what he did do efficiently. Nice to see his Dad there to support him too.

DMac quietly went about his game, not a standout but did little wrong.

Anyway they were my thoughts..

Nailed it. One thing, I still think Shenton is handy to have, can fill in well when required. And TC the same. Although, who the hell is skunk?

Really don't like the reference to players as 'list cloggers'. These boys are giving their all to forge a career/ Naturally, not all of them will make it, but you cannot just have a list of 25 players.

Every club has players that won't make best 22. They are still trying their guts out.

Very disrespectful to our boys.

Just saying.

This was posted about Lewie Pierce on the WB thread about this game. Think he was the only one on our list who got a positive mention:

maybe so, but there a couple of extra comments like:

They're killing us. Can't remember the last time we took a contested mark. Which makes all those bombs to the forwardline useless.

No space in the forward 50, they get it down there and it's like an empty paddock.

looks like it's going to be a long year for Minson. Played ok around the ground but out-rucked by both their boys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lewi p has (forward) game. only a half through the match but he seems to be getting further up the wings, and deeper back towards goal than longer.. which is confusing. Some nice marks too and quick decisions. Could be our forward ruck!

Best Players: M. Cook, B. White, J. Gresham, T. Membrey, M. Kreymborg, N. Wright

Great to see Brandon as 2nd best on ground! I thought Jade looked like he was killing it, so Brandon must have been doing something special.

Best Players: M. Cook, B. White, J. Gresham, T. Membrey, M. Kreymborg, N. Wright

Great to see Brandon as 2nd best on ground! I thought Jade looked like he was killing it, so Brandon must have been doing something special.
Who does those Bests? Not sure how they could leave Curren out.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Great to hear Gresham and White doing well.

I'm surprised so many people still have high hopes when it comes to Brodie Murdoch though. I would be very surprised if he wasn't delisted at the end of the year.

For a big body his lack of contested work is a worry. Needs others to get him into the game but don't think his tank is good enough to create space for that role. White on the other hand looks to be an animal finding the ball & attacking the opponent.

Just watched a little of the game on the train heading in. Gee White is a great size.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back