FTA-TV Talking Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm probs the only one watching this but I say out with Darc and in with that ginger spunk Sam McClure - he is ace on TV.

giphy.gif

I actually like it more than Classified coz they tend to talk about footy rather than the sexy/scandalous/peripheral stuff around it.

That being said, man they say some stupid things. Carey declares if you make the 8 you can win a flag, no more than 5 mins later says Richmond might make finals but will just be making up the numbers with no chance of getting anywhere near a flag. Then they spend a good 2 minutes discussing whether Pendlebury's comments about non-performing players being dropped would cause dissention in the playing list (general consesus was yes) - **** me drunk are you serious? The captain of a professional footy club daring to publicy let slip that blokes not adhering to the game plan might get dropped, wowee yep real bombshell stuff likely to affect the playing group there :rolleyes:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My favourite part is the captions at the start:

Tim Watson - 3 x Premiership player
Wayne Carey - 7 x All Australian

and then...

Luke Darcy - Leigh Mathews Trophy winner. WAHEY!
Funny cause Darce lovesssss himself.

Just a gutter rat, really.

I am finding it difficult to stomach "Swoop" McClure.

Maybe he's just nervous, maybe he's a preening utensil, but he takes himself way too seriously, states the bleeding obvious as though it's new insight, and wears a suit thats 2 sizes too small.

Chill the **** out, guy.

PS: The guy they had on last year was equally horrible.

OTC knocks it into a cocked hat
On The Couch is the best of the football shows on at the moment. Good game and tactics analysis. Although all the members on the panel each have some annoying quirks they all have a good understanding of the game and Gerard Healy is a good host

I am finding it difficult to stomach "Swoop" McClure.

Maybe he's just nervous, maybe he's a preening utensil, but he takes himself way too seriously, states the bleeding obvious as though it's new insight, and wears a suit thats 2 sizes too small.

Chill the **** out, guy.

PS: The guy they had on last year was equally horrible.
Last year they had Mark Stevens on and he can be a bit of a knob. When he asks questions at the post match coach's conference he is always shown asking the question because of course everyone gives a * and wants to see him deliver the lines. I think it's actually "Scoop" (as in he get's the big scoops - BOOM!) McClure. Any of the true journos will come across as a bit uncomfortable when surrounded by that much testosterone. McClure does work for 3AW and comes across better on radio when you don't have to look at him. He looks about 12 years old.

McClure does work for 3AW and comes across better on radio when you don't have to look at him. He looks about 12 years old.

McClure is basically Jimmy Olsen (from Superman) in a suit.

keum1f.jpg

Jimmy Olsen was played in the original Superman movie by an actor named, get this, Marc McClure.

Last year they had Mark Stevens on and he can be a bit of a knob. When he asks questions at the post match coach's conference he is always shown asking the question because of course everyone gives a **** and wants to see him deliver the lines. I think it's actually "Scoop" (as in he get's the big scoops - BOOM!) McClure. Any of the true journos will come across as a bit uncomfortable when surrounded by that much testosterone. McClure does work for 3AW and comes across better on radio when you don't have to look at him. He looks about 12 years old.
Mark Stevens, that's right! He is a self-important tosser.
Scoop (boom, indeed) seems to following the same path.

They should use a journo who brings insights, not rumour and headlines.
Then again, they are basically just cross-promoting their sports-newsdesk, aren't they?

They should use a journo who brings insights, not rumour and headlines.
Then again, they are basically just cross-promoting their sports-newsdesk, aren't they?

I actually don't mind the rumours and big stories being discussed with a journo present as it can have the effect of calming "the boys" down. I listen to a number of different podcasts and as an example Barret and Clark on The Rub often focus and reign in the bullshit that can pervade the studio sometimes. They can also bring far more insight from the actual fact they have never played he game at the top level; and are therefore not bound by some asshat code that frown on certain subjects. But yeah, your right about the cross promotion, often the "big" story on Talking Fotty is a 1 or 2 day old story from the weekend that has been analysed to death already - often they are just adding some detail to the event.

"That's right Darce the big news from the weekend was Swan's broken foot and I can now reveal he's had the scan and has left the Doctor's carrying an X-Ray in a white envelope." Woot woot!

I actually don't mind the rumours and big stories being discussed with a journo present as it can have the effect of calming "the boys" down. I listen to a number of different podcasts and as an example Barret and Clark on The Rub often focus and reign in the bullshit that can pervade the studio sometimes. They can also bring far more insight from the actual fact they have never played he game at the top level; and are therefore not bound by some asshat code that frown on certain subjects. But yeah, your right about the cross promotion, often the "big" story on Talking Fotty is a 1 or 2 day old story from the weekend that has been analysed to death already - often they are just adding some detail to the event.

"That's right Darce the big news from the weekend was Swan's broken foot and I can now reveal he's had the scan and has left the Doctor's carrying an X-Ray in a white envelope." Woot woot!
Yeah!, or "One of our reporters has followed Luke Hodge back to his car and will now ask him a stupid question. Exclusive "no comment" answer coming your way after the break"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back