Public vs Private Schools

Private schools buy sports stars all the time. My daughter was a very promising swimmer and several schools were falling over themselves to get hold of her. I worked as a teacher in a state school in a working class area for many years, we had a teacher who played Volleyball for Australia, she created a team that were state champions under her expert coaching. The following year Haileybury offered the entire Volleyball team scholarships and took the lot of them. Its no surprise that any promising young player gets picked up by private schools.
Haileybury is renowned for "buying" sports kids and whole teams. The same year your volleyball team was poached I know they poached several girls from Toorak College offering them 100% scholarships.

Chris Judd went to Caulfield Grammar on a scholarship, as did Jack Ziebell. Not all private schools do that or at the level that a Haileybury has.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I went to a rival school (on academic scholarship, coming from a single income family), and played school sport against both, so I'm fully aware of the facilities they have. Even despite that, school sport in SA isn't taken nearly as seriously or considered the primary athletic development pathway as in other states, though. Sure, it's still a source of pride for many schools, but club play is still the main pathway for SA kids if they want to get anywhere in footy, soccer or basketball.

How serious would you say this school in South OZ is

Current coach Football
Brett Chalmers with Richard Douglass as asiistant
Previous coaches at the school
Mark Williams, Darren Jarmen, Stephen williams
Along with a host of Port players like Brogan and Cornes

Volley Ball Coach at the same school
Bo Soberg World Champion Beach VolleyBall player from Denmark

I know this because Ive trained with Bo and he told me how serious the school was about its sports programme.

And yes they get paid.

What exactly do you imagine public school to be like?!
Here's the stereotypical image - at state government schools the majority of students don't want to be there so they drag everyone down to their level. Sport facilities are ordinary or non existent. Teaching staff are hit and miss; some are good but for the majority it is just about turning up each day and "clocking" on and off.

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Funny how rowing hasn't been mentioned. I didn't even know rowing existed for school kids and then i went to a private school. In certain schools its bigger than cricket in the summer.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
How serious would you say this school in South OZ is

Current coach Football
Brett Chalmers with Richard Douglass as asiistant
Previous coaches at the school
Mark Williams, Darren Jarmen, Stephen williams
Along with a host of Port players like Brogan and Cornes

Volley Ball Coach at the same school
Bo Soberg World Champion Beach VolleyBall player from Denmark

I know this because Ive trained with Bo and he told me how serious the school was about its sports programme.

And yes they get paid.

Exceptions don't make the rule. Many schools still have a teacher or recent ex-student coaching their firsts.

Even still, do Immanuel even field strong teams, or just spend a lot on coaching and facilities? I never really knew them to have a rep as a sporting powerhouse when I was in high school (which admittedly would have been before they had that current coaching staff in place).

Where did you go?
Eh, I'll let that one go through to the keeper. A fairly well known private school.

I was probably the poorest kid in my year level. Or up there at least.

Mother broke her back (almost figuratively) sending me there.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Exceptions don't make the rule. Many schools still have a teacher or recent ex-student coaching their firsts.

Even still, do Immanuel even field strong teams, or just spend a lot on coaching and facilities? I never really knew them to have a rep as a sporting powerhouse when I was in high school (which admittedly would have been before they had that current coaching staff in place).

Sharenberg and hampton probably get drafted this year
Partington last year
The other Sharenberg thats always injured

These are of recent years with other established players

I suppose with Kyle Chalmers going to Rio and Leyton Hewitt being world # 1 at tennis , the school isnt all footy.

Before about 13-14 years ago, Immanuel was predominantly a music/arts based private school with the occasional foray with nary a strong team on field. They're still no where near the upper market private schools, despite an absolute pouring into the facilities.

Hewitt was barely there before pissing off to become a future-professional.

Williams and co are coaches because their kids went to the school, not because they're being paid a tonne.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Partington last year

Is that due to their school footy though, or did they just happen to already go to that school or transfer there while being developed by an SAAFL or SANFL club?

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
It's because a lot of the private schools are often male only. This environment will always lends itself to producing more top line footballers.

There is also the types of teachers private schools can hire.

When I was at school we had Peter Riccardi and Brad Johnson go through the school program within a couple of years of each other.

At that time some of the teachers coaching the schools teams were Brendan McCartney and Brian Cordy.

BPikkers

Cancelled
Oct 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
As an ex-private school person myself, one thing they definitely do not do is teach you to work hard. Gawn's talking some serious rubbish there.
I went to a private school. You are generalising here. We worked hard and played footy hard.

Was extremely competitive both academically and sporting.

I went to a private school. You are generalising here. We worked hard and played footy hard.

Was extremely competitive both academically and sporting.
Of course I was generalising. I was speaking of my own experience I guess.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Eh, I'll let that one go through to the keeper. A fairly well known private school.

I was probably the poorest kid in my year level. Or up there at least.

Mother broke her back (almost figuratively) sending me there.

I think your secret is safe with us FFS?

Either identify or don't join the discussion.

For what it's worth, there are private schools and private schools and Essendon Grammar or Mentone Grammar aint the real deal sorry.

Every facet of life has tiers....

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Partington last year

I suppose with Kyle Chalmers going to Rio and Leyton Hewitt being world # 1 at tennis , the school isnt all footy.

Are you the assistant groundskeeper at Immanuel Marty?

Back