The Premiership Standard - 100pts for, 86 pts against

Remove this Banner Ad

This is one of those things you can't really start tracking until round 16 ish. By then everyone has played everyone and the averages actually mean something.

Mind you, if you can find a way to score 120 points every week, does it matter of you concede 100? I'd say no.
i would go as far to say, as long as you score one point more than you concede in every game of the season then you will win the GF

As of right now (still too early)
North, 6-0, av 112 for 89.7 against
Premiership credentials: Strong. Experienced mature team, only a few points off in defence.

Western Bulldogs, 4-2, 89.3 for 57.3 against
Premiership credentials: Average. Need a KF (Boyd in due time), a ruck and their half-back line not injured (Bob out for the year)

Sydney, 4-1, 109.5 for 70.8 against
Premiership credentials: Strong. Defence doing a lot better than many predicted, mids and forwards have multiple stars, the youngsters are breathing new life

Geelong, 4-1, 99.2 for 66.4 against
Premiership credentials: Strong. Plenty of experience, all rounf side, some questions over them but should have met the 100-86 rule comfortably by end of this round

Hawthorn, 4-1, 95.4 for 90.4 against
Premiership credentials: Strong. It's Hawthorn. But think they'll lose to GWS so they'll be tracking away from 100-86 for another week at least. Give them another 10 rounds

GWS, 3-2, 102.4 for 78.6 against
Premiership credentials: Average. Have met the benchmark in the 1st quarter of the season and could be 4-1 had J.Cameron kept his head on, but are they the real deal? Can they win consistently without Mumford?

Gold Coast 3-2, 103.4 for 85.4 against
Premiership credentials: Poor. Injury woes. Started well but that was v Essendon, Fremantle, Carlton. They have Geelong, Melbourne, GWS, Adelaide, WC (think this is Mays return - just in time!), Sydney, Richmond before their bye - would be stoked to get 3 wins out of that and be 6-6 at the bye. They won't be 100-86ing by then.

West Coast, 3-2, 97 against, 81 against
Premiership credentials: Average. Struggling to win away against good sides may just prevent them from a top 2 finish and home finals where they are an excellent side. As it is, think they will have met the 100-86 requirement by the end of the round but it is only early

Adelaide, 3-2, 118.2 for, 100 against
Premiership credentials: Good. By the 100-86 benchmark they are conceding way too much - however, their forward line fire power is almost unmatched. Their two losses have come at a total of 13 points, both in Victoria against two sides who are 8-1 in other games. By all other measures they stack up.

As the season goes on, 'contenders' will drop off and so on, and the 100-86 benchmark will become harder to top. Obviously we don't know whether the new gamestyles have changed it either but for now it seems a likely indicator.

As of round 5-6:
Strong: North, Sydney, Geelong, Hawthorn*
Good: Adelaide*
Average: Western Bulldogs, GWS*, West Coast
Poor: Gold Coast

*the 100-86 benchmark largely ignored due to subjective reasons

Yes, because it's ridiculous. The OP never said it was every year, but if you can only find 3 in 21 years (05, 01, 94) I dare say it's "not a bullcrap stat".
Its bull crap to me if you average 90 points a game over five games thatsna total of 450 points. You can have a crap game and score 30 points in 1 game. Then there 420 points spread across 4 games at 105 points a game. If you did that. It would probably result in 4 wins and 1 loss. If you do that in the 1st 5 rounds your not bottom 4 obviously

What's wrong with averaging 95 points for and 80 points against? Hell your team might score 100 points 1 week and score 90 points the next and win both games. What's wrong with that.

Nothing wrong with it, but the stats don't show that as the trend. I think something like 14 out of the last 15 premiers have come from within the premiership standard. http://premiershipstandard.com has been updated to show the latest after tonight's games. Geelong are now well and truly in the premiership standard!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing wrong with it, but the stats don't show that as the trend. I think something like 14 out of the last 15 premiers have come from within the premiership standard. http://premiershipstandard.com has been updated to show the latest after tonight's games. Geelong are now well and truly in the premiership standard!
you can only play who you play, but come on. look at the opposition the games they won are against lower teams on the ladder teams, the games they lost are against top 8 teams.

these stats mean nothing till half way through the season

It's pleasing to see that Carlton have improved their defence since Bolton has arrived at the footy club. After 6 rounds of footy, we are 6th on the against tally. Unfortunately we are 17th for points kicked.

As an average, we are 88 against and 65 for.
So we need 6 goals from somewhere.

SOS - please go out and find us a functioning forward line over the break.

It's pleasing to see that Carlton have improved their defence since Bolton has arrived at the footy club. After 6 rounds of footy, we are 6th on the against tally. Unfortunately we are 17th for points kicked.

As an average, we are 88 against and 65 for.
So we need 6 goals from somewhere.

SOS - please go out and find us a functioning forward line over the break.
Just a quick one on that, I saw Everitt named as an emergency on the weekend. If he is fit, why isn't he playing? Wasn't he Carlton's leading goalkicker last season..?

Just a quick one on that, I saw Everitt named as an emergency on the weekend. If he is fit, why isn't he playing? Wasn't he Carlton's leading goalkicker last season..?
Just out of form. Think he had an injury, but has spent the last couple of weeks in the VFL.

Go take a look at our defense in 1999 when we won our last flag, it's not even top 8 standard. Means nothing.
It was also another era
I question how relevant stats from 1996/9 are given the number of rule changes we've had in that time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back