List Mgmt. 2017 Starting 22 | + Trimming the "fat"

Sep 25, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Alright, we all know the season is done and dusted from a results viewpoint. There's the melt thread where everyone keeps harping on this whole "plodders" thing, but so far I can't see anything looking realistically at next year. I'm not in that camp really (about our hardened campaigners being "plodders"), until now they have served us a platter of consistent success and bought a winning brand that our youth needed to see -- but at the same time I'm curious to play devils advocate here..

My estimate for starting 22 in 2017;
  • |- Spurr Pearce Dawson
  • |- Sutcliffe Johnson Ibbotson
  • |-Weller Neale Hill
  • |- Mayne Tabener Bennell
  • |- Ballantyne McCarthy Walters
  • |- Foll: Fyfe Sandilands Mundy
    • |- Int: Clarke Crozier D. Pearce Barlow
    • |- Emergency: DeBoer Yarran
This list is solid without being too much unproven youth. This list ignores that we may well get a ready-made midfielder (#1 pick) that could slot into Barlow or D. Pearce's slot immediately -- This list allows for potential to have traded away; 1. Suban -- 2. Sheridan -- 3. Mzungu -- 4. C. Pearce -- 5. Silvagni -- 6. Hannath, all without hurting our depth ; But further ignores what we could have traded in with those players. (agile ruck? talls?)

I'm not suggesting all those players go, btw! I realise that's unlikely -- I like C. Pearce and Silva, too.. I'm saying that of those there are far better like for likes in the proposed team, obviously, and better youth coming through that should be prioritised in 2017 (that will have had game time THIS season) if any starter does get injured -- By mid 2017 there would be 18 players (from the 24 above) over 100 games but a nice age profile. The only question mark for me, Crozier. Hopefully he performs this year and makes the spot a lock!

Propose yours.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
I doublt Clarke and Mayne will be in our squad next year, and I personally hope that Ibbotson is offered as trade bait. The fact that he is not being played at the moment, think he will offered around with the hope of getting a 2nd rounder for him.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
I doublt Clarke and Mayne will be in our squad next year, and I personally hope that Ibbotson is offered as trade bait. The fact that he is not being played at the moment, think he will offered around with the hope of getting a 2nd rounder for him.

I could have sworn Ibbo was running around in defence last week clunking a side high 8 marks.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
IMO Ibbo isn't in future plans, Tucker is. And De Boer won't be anywhere near our best 22 next year (unless he takes a coaching role)

Tucker Dawson Hughes
Sutty Pearce Mundy
Hill Neale Weller
Langdon Fyfe McCarthy
Pearce Apeness Balla
Sandi Walters Bennell
Sheridan Blakely Barlow Jonno

How's that midfield!!!

Last edited:

clivenator26

Premiership Player
Jun 17, 2009
Latex Condo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Clarke would be unlikely to stay, throw in the Ape who should be fit by then fingers crossed.

Id also squeeze in Tucker and our first round pick.

Of your trade bait I can't see anyone lining up for Hannath, Mzungu or Silvagni.

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
B: Spurr Dawson Hughes
HB: Sutcliffe Pearce Tucker
C: Hill Neale Weller
HF: Walters Fyfe D.Pearce
F: (McCarthy) Apeness Bennell
R: Sandi Mundy Barlow
INT: Ballas (Jenkins) Blakely Langdon

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
IMO Ibbo isn't in future plans, Tucker is. And De Boer won't be anywhere near our best 22 next year (unless he takes a coaching role)

Tucker Dawson Hughes
Sutty Pearce Mundy
Hill Neale Weller
Langdon Fyfe McCarthy
Pearce Apeness Balla
Sandi Walters Bennell
Sheridan Blakely Barlow Jonno

How's that midfield!!!
Not a bad list, but the one thing I see lacking is Fyfe is the only real aggressive, beast, animal in the pack, jury still out on Apeness.
Add another hard nut, and I would sleep better at night.
Balla should be replaced by Yarren in time.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
his list allows for potential to have traded away; 1. Suban -- 2. Sheridan -- 3. Mzungu -- 4. C. Pearce -- 5. Silvagni -- 6. Hannath, all without hurting our depth ; But further ignores what we could have traded in with those players. (agile ruck? talls?)

Sheridan ain't going anywhere. He is the only recent 1st round pick we've had that wasn't a complete bust.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'll start with a bit of clean out. Barlow re-signs, as do Langdon, Apeness and Grey. I'd take Ibbotson. He's the only player we can afford to lose that has value. Neale's re-signing should be the club's first priority. Mayne and Clarke should be allowed to walk IMO. If they want to stay they can have one year deals.

Delisted/Retired: Pav, Hannath, Mzungu, C.Pearce, De Boer, Morabito, Deluca

Traded in: McCarthy

I'm choosing to honour 2017 contracts meaning Suban is safe but he's not best 22 and MJ plays on.

B. Spurr, Dawson, Johnson
HB. Sutcliffe, A.Pearce, Hughes
C. D.Pearce, Mundy, Hill
HF. Bennell, Taberner, Walters
F. McCarthy, Apeness, Ballantyne
R. Sandliands, Fyfe, Neale
INT. Weller, Blakely, Sheridan, .......*
ERM. Yarran, Langdon, Tucker

*I'm leaving this spot for our first round draft pick assuming he's a mid. If we get a mid as a top five pick I can't see us not finding the room. If we take a key forward then I'd still reckon Taberner, Apeness etc would get first crack at it and Langdon and Tucker fight it out for the last spot.

Last edited:

PurpleReign95

Senior List
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Best 22 for 2017: includes trades and FA

HB: Morra Pearce A.Mundy
C: Bennell Hill Langdon
HF: Weller Lobb R. Son Son
F: Ballaz Apness McCarthy
R: Sandi Fyfe Barlow
Int: Blakely, Grey, Crozier, Tabs

This would mean we would trade Neale, and somehow get Lobb and McCarthy
Pav and Johno retire :(

Inveigh Slang

Club Legend
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Alright, we all know the season is done and dusted from a results viewpoint. There's the melt thread where everyone keeps harping on this whole "plodders" thing, but so far I can't see anything looking realistically at next year. I'm not in that camp really (about our hardened campaigners being "plodders"), until now they have served us a platter of consistent success and bought a winning brand that our youth needed to see -- but at the same time I'm curious to play devils advocate here..

My estimate for starting 22 in 2017;
  • |- Spurr Pearce Dawson
  • |- Sutcliffe Johnson Ibbotson
  • |-Weller Neale Hill
  • |- Mayne Tabener Bennell
  • |- Ballantyne McCarthy Walters
  • |- Foll: Fyfe Sandilands Mundy
    • |- Int: Clarke Crozier D. Pearce Barlow
    • |- Emergency: DeBoer Yarran
This list is solid without being too much unproven youth. This list ignores that we may well get a ready-made midfielder (#1 pick) that could slot into Barlow or D. Pearce's slot immediately -- This list allows for potential to have traded away; 1. Suban -- 2. Sheridan -- 3. Mzungu -- 4. C. Pearce -- 5. Silvagni -- 6. Hannath, all without hurting our depth ; But further ignores what we could have traded in with those players. (agile ruck? talls?)

I'm not suggesting all those players go, btw! I realise that's unlikely -- I like C. Pearce and Silva, too.. I'm saying that of those there are far better like for likes in the proposed team, obviously, and better youth coming through that should be prioritised in 2017 (that will have had game time THIS season) if any starter does get injured -- By mid 2017 there would be 18 players (from the 24 above) over 100 games but a nice age profile. The only question mark for me, Crozier. Hopefully he performs this year and makes the spot a lock!

Propose yours.

We will get much the same result as this year

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Let's go completely unrealistic and crazy by trimming almost everybody (contracts mean nothing :)) and assume the injury genie also grants us some wishes:

B Nyhuis A.Pearce Sutcliffe
HB Hughes Morabito Ibbotson
C Weller Fyfe Hill
HF Bennell McCarthy Walters
F Yarran Apeness Petrevski-Seton
R Sandi Mundy Neale
I Sheridan Blakely Tucker Balic

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not a bad list, but the one thing I see lacking is Fyfe is the only real aggressive, beast, animal in the pack, jury still out on Apeness.
Add another hard nut, and I would sleep better at night.
Balla should be replaced by Yarren in time.

Good call on Yarren, I'd forgotten about him and even though he still needs to prove himself, I fear we've seen the best of Balla.

Regarding the hard nuts, I think Blakely can develop in that area and Neale goes alright albeit for a smaller guy.

ydraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
ITT a bunch of Taberner haters replace Taberner in their best 22 with a random list of tall forwards who don't play for us.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Best 22 for 2017: includes trades and FA

HB: Morra Pearce A.Mundy
C: Bennell Hill Langdon
HF: Weller Lobb R. Son Son
F: Ballaz Apness McCarthy
R: Sandi Fyfe Barlow
Int: Blakely, Grey, Crozier, Tabs

This would mean we would trade Neale, and somehow get Lobb and McCarthy
Pav and Johno retire :(
Interesting team. Also both guys you put in the key forwards spots are both forwards-rucks. Not had of an idea. A good way to prepare the post Sandi and pav era

Freo fred

Cancelled
Dec 9, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sheridan is the only first round pick that wasn't a complete bust???
What??The only reason he is still on the list is because he is Ross Lyons love child.He would not get on any other list we could not give him away. His stats over the last 2 weeks as our running half back are 9 touches then last week 11.Also 3 tackles in 2 weeks.
Quality half backs in the comp are getting 30 possessions a week.And considering the ball can't get out of our backline his numbers should be going through the roof if he was any good.
But he is not he is a crab!!
Sheridan ain't going anywhere. He is the only recent 1st round pick we've had that wasn't a complete bust.

Last edited:

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Good call on Yarren, I'd forgotten about him and even though he still needs to prove himself, I fear we've seen the best of Balla.

Heard a bloke at the footy last week saying how his sons mates with a few peel boys & they reckon Yarran is struggling with the AFL lifestyle. All the extra training etc.
Said they wouldn't be surprised if he walked. Then again it could be rubbish. Let's hope it is, anyways.

My 22 would be

FB - Spurr Dawson Ibbo
CHB - Sheridan Pearce Mundy
C - Hill Neale DPearce
CHF - Weller Taberner Ballaz
FF - McCarthy Apeness Walters
R - Sandi Fyfe Bennell
I/C - Langdon Barlow Hughes Petrevski-Seton (I hope)

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sheridan is the only first round pick that wasn't a complete bust???
What??The only reason he is still on the list is because he is Ross Lyons love child.He would not get on any other list we could not give him away. His stats over the last 2 weeks as our running half back are 9 touches then last week 11.Also 3 tackles in 2 weeks.
Quality half backs in the comp are getting 30 possessions a week.And considering the ball can't get out of our backline his numbers should be going through the roof if he was any good.
But he is not he is a crab!!

is only 22 and the structures have changed significantly so he is taking awhile to find his place. He averages 18 touches a game and generally does well against his opponent.

no he isn't the best player in the comp and yes he is in the bottom half of our best 22 but high potential.

Have you heard the business analogy - "why would i fire someone who just cost the business 10k - we just spent 10k teaching them a lesson".

I think the same thing about Sheridan in the Prelim last year - why would you fire him when we just lost a Prelim teaching him a lesson?

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Heard a bloke at the footy last week saying how his sons mates with a few peel boys & they reckon Yarran is struggling with the AFL lifestyle. All the extra training etc.
Said they wouldn't be surprised if he walked. Then again it could be rubbish. Let's hope it is, anyways.

wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. While i understand second chances etc i was really puzzled how he passed the character test.

Back