Biggest name signing of recent times?

Who was the biggest name signing?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jarrad Waite > daylight >>>>>>>>>>>>> the rest.

Nav4a1y.png

I think they're all pretty equal.
All of them have been arguably the best player in the game at a particular point in time, or at least in the discussion, and have been entrenched at the clubs they left.

To go on a tangent, who would you nominate as the most IMPORTANT signings in that decade or so?

I'd nominate Ottens and Brian Lake.

Ablett - Leaving a successful team as a Brownlow medalist and 2 time premiership player to be a marquee player at a brand new club

Buddy - Came very out of the blue in my opinion, expected he'd go to the Giants and seemed like a deal was nearly done than the Swans came out of the blue, tabling a big contract and not long after was announced he'd signed. Whether they had an agreement all along and were just stringing the Giants along a bit I don't know

Judd - Big contract, handed the captaincy straight out. As much as i hated seeing him go I think it was always on the cards that he would get massive offers to return to Victoria from multiple clubs whenever out of contract

Danger - Was really a one horse race for his signature I think. Cats were always in position 1A

As a one eyed Cats' supporter the biggest name signing is Paddy Dangerfield. I don't give a hoot about the others named. But Buddy was the most controversial signing and given the contract term offered his signing was massive
Don't care about GAJ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ablett was the biggest name and best player, but Judd was the biggest story. He was the first of the four to leave and there hadn't really been a player of that caliber switch teams in their prime since, well, I'm not really sure. Maybe Plugger? Every club in Melbourne was chasing him so there was a huge circus about who he was going to pick. An Ablett leaving Geelong was unheard of but the story dragged on for so long that nobody was surprised and not many could blame him with that sort of money on offer. Franklin was a big shock but nobody really saw it as a big recruiting coup, rather a bullshit exploitation of a bullshit concession to Sydney. Dangerfield was always going home.

Judd's departure also left West Coast in ruins, and it immediately transformed Carlton from a basketcase to a solid team (so much so that they declared they were "coming"). Ablett, Franklin and Dangerfield leaving didn't seem to hurt any of their former sides, at least in the short term.

Buddy - Came very out of the blue in my opinion, expected he'd go to the Giants and seemed like a deal was nearly done than the Swans came out of the blue, tabling a big contract and not long after was announced he'd signed. Whether they had an agreement all along and were just stringing the Giants along a bit I don't know
Why do you think the AFL were so pissed?

I think you need some topical ointment for your haemarroid. A lot of hurt butt on this one
I moved on very quickly, no need for ointment! Thanks for being considerate

Back