The premiership race is not wide open

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
This phrase keeps being thrown about. It's simply false. The premiership contenders this year are becoming very obvious and to be honest it became obvious two weeks ago. As long as these teams have a reasonable run with injury, and they don't need hawthorn like luck with injuries at finals time but just the normal luck of grand final participants, then this years grand final will most likely be:

GWS vs Geelong

The only team that can upset this result without amazing Carlton 99 like luck is Nth Melbourne. But it's unlikely.

Both the GWS and Cats can go a level above everyone else in terms of ball movement and defence and are simply more talented then everyone else. This premiership race is the least open since 2011 as we haven't had two teams clearly above the rest of the competition since then.

Hawks have lost three key players and replaced them with no one and their ageing players are starting to fall away, albeit very gradually. Roughead back will help but he ain't the difference. They may make the prelims but will need one hell of a magic rabbit to pull off a win barring a spate of injuries to their opponents. The Swans simply aren't good enough in defence and are a bit slow. Other then Nth, the Bulldogs have a very slim chance but their defence is also probably too weak to seriously challenge.

Ridicule this thread as always happen. But it will be bumped on grand final week and during the season as you all eventually come to the same realisation of how it will play out.

no.gif

Geelong poster just jinxed his club. Good work on that OP.

Wouldn't be surprised if cracks start to show again this year with Geelongs older players. Bartel, Taylor, Mackie, Enright, Lonergan (just those from friday) could all fall off a cliff. Would want to make a premiership this year because they do not have young talent to reach the heights of these players ready to come in and take their spots. There will be no good draft picks to replace them. Has to go all right at the pointy end of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the balance of probabilities I think the OP is correct at this point in time. The best of Geelong and GWS looks better than the best of everyone else.

But whether that keeps up all year or not is very debatable

I'm still holding on to the hope that we are just 'timing our run' like Hawthorn have been known to do. Ramp it up at the right time of the year.

Maybe I'm a fool, but I think it's premature to count us out of premiership discussions.

On the balance of probabilities I think the OP is correct at this point in time. The best of Geelong and GWS looks better than the best of everyone else.

But whether that keeps up all year or not is very debatable
The thing that will undo GWS is possibly their lack of finals experience bar one or two imports, and also not sure how they go on the MCG? As far as Geelong is concerned, if they continue with their form and don't sustain injuries to key players, I can see them making the GF - it's just a matter of who they will play. However it's a marathon so possibly things can change. Obviously at the moment both teams are the form teams of the competition.

The thing that will undo GWS is possibly their lack of finals experience bar one or two imports, and also not sure how they go on the MCG? As far as Geelong is concerned, if they continue with their form and don't sustain injuries to key players, I can see them making the GF - it's just a matter of who they will play. However it's a marathon so possibly things can change. Obviously at the moment both teams are the form teams of the competition.

GWS lost to Melbourne at the G in round one, but they were missing Cameron and kicked woefully in front of goal. But yiu might be into something.

If its North vs GWS in a prelim on Friday night at the G, id be tipping North.

I started a thread stating that Geelong 2016 = Geelong 2007 and everyone thought I was insane to think that this year's Cats are so far ahead of everyone else just like the Cats of 2007 were.

I guess GWS 2016 = Port Adelaide 2007 as 119 will be in danger if they face us on the MCG in the Grand Final.

GWS lost to Melbourne at the G in round one, but they were missing Cameron and kicked woefully in front of goal. But yiu might be into something.

If its North vs GWS in a prelim on Friday night at the G, id be tipping North.
I can see the Giants out in straight sets to be honest. No finals experience what so ever, and especially if they get Hawthorn or Sydney in a SF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back