Youf/Academy Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure how much interest there will be in this but as it says on the tin, this is a place to talk about academy performance, structure, transfers, players, U17's World Cup, etc.

This season has seen many future premier league 'stars' make their debuts and/or solidify their place in the their clubs first team squad:
- Barker, Celino, Garcia, Humphreys at City
- Ojo at Pool
- Iwobi at Arsenal
- Rashford, CBJ, Fosu-Mensah at United
- Tammy Abrahams & RLC at Chelsea
- Duncan Watmough at Sunderland, etc.

have at it

Sheffield United's academy director Nick Cox has joined United's academy staff as predicted a few months ago. He's supposed to be pretty innovative and will work alongside Butty and Warren Joyce. Interview with Cox http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/foot...th-yorkshire-s-number-one-boys-club-1-7701914

United have all but signed highly rated Tahith Chong who scored for Holland at the U17 Euros. Supposedly, United will be pretty active at the Euros as the the U18's and 21's are light on in AM and CF.

Last edited:

Thought the idea of a scouting auditor at United was an interesting one. Seems to have the final say on signings but isn't supposed to watch games. Not sure how it works in practice but an interesting theory.

For us Brahim is the obvious one. Jaden Sancho about a year behind him is just breaking into the U18's and has done well so far. Quite a few that will hopefully make the step up to senior football next season.

Next season we're apparently going quite young, so might not have the success of the past. Maybe a response to our U16's who are pretty dominant at that level, but quite a few are holding off signing as they don't think they're progressing quick enough.

Thought the idea of a scouting auditor at United was an interesting one. Seems to have the final say on signings but isn't supposed to watch games. Not sure how it works in practice but an interesting theory.

For us Brahim is the obvious one. Jaden Sancho about a year behind him is just breaking into the U18's and has done well so far. Quite a few that will hopefully make the step up to senior football next season.

Next season we're apparently going quite young, so might not have the success of the past. Maybe a response to our U16's who are pretty dominant at that level, but quite a few are holding off signing as they don't think they're progressing quick enough.
It's the corporate world invading the football world. Will either be v good or terrible. We'll know in 12 months haha.

moomba did Brahim play in the 1st team this season?

No, he's still 16. Started in the U16's but moved pretty quickly to the U18's and U19's in the UEFA Youth League. Was our best player in the U18's this season. I think he might stay there next season, maybe playing a bit of U21's and the odd first team appearance.

No, he's still 16. Started in the U16's but moved pretty quickly to the U18's and U19's in the UEFA Youth League. Was our best player in the U18's this season. I think he might stay there next season, maybe playing a bit of U21's and the odd first team appearance.
Who's he like so I can get an idea of what kind of player he is?

moomba did Brahim play in the 1st team this season?

Bojan KantKick how many players made their debut this season at United?
I assume you mean academy players. Off the top of my head, 7:
Varela, CBJ, Fosu-Mensah, Rashford, Riley, Weir, Love .

I'd say that the first 4 have a future, although Varela probably won't make it at United.

We debuted 4 other academy players last season.

I assume you mean academy players. Off the top of my head, 7:
Varela, CBJ, Fosu-Mensah, Rashford, Riley, Weir, Love .

I'd say that the first 4 have a future, although Varela probably won't make it at United.

We debuted 4 other academy players last season.
That's decent. How many games in total did each play?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's decent. How many games in total did each play?
ffs, am i a wizard or something.
Varela - 13
CBJ - 13
TFM - 11
Rashford - 17
Riley - 2
Weir - 1
Love - 2

CBJ and TFM would have played a fair bit more if not for untimely injuries.

I think it is the Glazers bringing in something similar that most NFL teams have when they scout for college players.

It pretty much quality control, using stats and apituitde tests/face to face interviews and try to eliminate biases that can arise.

It does seem like a very american thing to have though.

Our shining light is Marcus Edwards who the big spending Chelsea are reportedly into. Hopefully he follows Onomah's path and turns down the money and stays around. From all reports he is the most talented we've had through ever

Our academy is really starting to bear fruit. Just won back to back UEFA cups and a FA Cup threepeat. Probably second to none atm in terms of developing kids.

Only thing left though is for us to actually use them in the first team. This season has been a good start with RLC and Traore getting a big taste.

We really do have a whole lot of talent. Abraham, Tomori, Christensen, Clarke-Salter, Da Silva, Aina, Scott, Palmer, Musonda, Colkett, Ake, Chalobah, Solanke etc. If we can't intergrate some of these guys into our firtst team we may as well just shut the academy down.

Our academy is really starting to bear fruit. Just won back to back UEFA cups and a FA Cup threepeat. Probably second to none atm in terms of developing kids.

Only thing left though is for us to actually use them in the first team. This season has been a good start with RLC and Traore getting a big taste.

We really do have a whole lot of talent. Abraham, Tomori, Christensen, Clarke-Salter, Da Silva, Aina, Scott, Palmer, Musonda, Colkett, Ake, Chalobah, Solanke etc. If we can't intergrate some of these guys into our firtst team we may as well just shut the academy down.
Yeah, clearly you guys have strong youth products - they now obviously need to be trusted in the first team, and if they can cut the mustard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back