Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles

Broar

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The Knights are in an odd position - rebuilding with a lot of youngsters who aren't that promising, I guess this happens when you get bogged down by the whole need for 'local' players in the side.

I don't get why the signed Hodkinson - when they could've signed Taylor and had a stack of cash leftover as well.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
The Knights are in an odd position - rebuilding with a lot of youngsters who aren't that promising, I guess this happens when you get bogged down by the whole need for 'local' players in the side.

I don't get why the signed Hodkinson - when they could've signed Taylor and had a stack of cash leftover as well.
There really should be a stack of cash left over anyway. The only other players on our squad earning decent coin would be Sims and Mullen at a guess. If the cap is full, Gidley really needs to be sacked as CEO.

Either way, the s**t that's being dished up needs to stop. It's not sustainable (despite the large crowd numbers).

Broar

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There really should be a stack of cash left over anyway. The only other players on our squad earning decent coin would be Sims and Mullen at a guess. If the cap is full, Gidley really needs to be sacked as CEO.

Either way, the s**t that's being dished up needs to stop. It's not sustainable (despite the large crowd numbers).
You guys have done a pretty shocking job with the salary cap, the modern game has shown spend the big money on the 1,6,7 or 9 after that a good front-rower.

The Knights have Mullen on huge money on a long term deal which is disastrous for some so injury prone.
Hodkinson- Long way off competing so he's not needed at the moment.
Sims - Backrowers grow on trees theres no need to fork out big money for one.
Uate - Been average for a few seasons now but you shouldn't be forking out big dollars for wingers regardless of cult hero status.
I suspect Sione Matautia is being horribly overpaid as well.

I think the Knights need to blow it up and focus on getting a 1-6-7-9 for which they can have for the next 8 to 10 years. Missing out on Peats is a big blow. Not that many quality playmakers on the market this year, Keary, Brooks, Moses, Norman, Segeyaro & Rein. I'd be hesitant in signing a few of these guys but I'd go after Norman & Segeyaro.

Hunt, Bird, Taylor, Trbojevic, Johnson, Moylan, Reynolds, Hastings & Tedesco are off contract the next season - will be tough to land any of these but offer Bird a truckload and give him the five-eighth spot and he may come.

While doing that I'd be looking at the NYC, state leagues, super league & other nrl clubs for some hidden talent.

Keep getting games into kids.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Newcastle Knights star Jarrod Mullen faces four-year ban after positive drugs test

Disappointing.

Newcastle Knights star Jarrod Mullen has tested positive to an anabolic steroid and faces a ban of up to four years.

In a crippling blow for the embattled club, Mullen returned a positive "A sample" on November 29 last year to the banned substance drostanolone.

The Australian Sports Anti-doping Authority has notified the 29-year-old and the NRL of his positive test. He has the option of immediately accepting the results or having his "B sample" retested.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Just a terrible error in judgement from Mullo. Gutted for one of the nice guys in footy.

Unfortunately that'll be career over for him. With his contract torn up, we'll be over a million under the salary cap before the season starts haha.

Don't think it'll impact our performance too badly. He wasn't going to play in the halves regularly. Had been training at hooker.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Knights sold

Link

Newcastle Knights coach Nathan Brown believes a sale of the NRL club to the wealthy Wests Group of businesses can revive the team's fortunes.

Brown was reluctant to discuss the deal after Friday night's loss to the Sydney Roosters, but an announcement on the Knights' future is expected to be made within 48 hours.

"Whether these things have happened it's not for me to comment on," Brown said.

"I suppose that's for the NRL and Wests. It'd be a great thing for the club," Brown said.

HulkSmash

Just a bit outside...
Jan 7, 2020
Rent-free in your head
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NK, NUJ, SK, ST, NSWW, NSWP, MUFC
Anyone go to the Community Season Launch on the weekend? Gawd it was packed....they shoved everyone into the small-ish concourse of MJS because of the rain.

Back