Remove this Banner Ad

Rourke

Watching the Numbers
Mar 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
http://www.sen.com.au/news/04-16/david-king-goes-into-bat-for-the-stats
There is a growing trend of stat-hating within the AFL but using the analysis of figures to evaluate a team or explain its game plan is only becoming a more effective tool to assess success if used in the right context, says David King.

He is the head scientist in the Fox Footy Lab on match days and often uses a wide range of statistics when commentating on the game, which sometimes is criticised as over-the-top with numbers.
CSIRO workers are setting fire to their business cards as we speak

on the couch demonstrated a passage of play involving crows and dogs. crouch vs bont. bont runs forward of centre, king says its great running and crows need to score. bont marks inside f50. bont assessed the situation so quickly, what a brain!

dunstall - he had the license to take off so quickly cause his team mates had the ball

bang

I used to like David King,but he's become so far up his own ass with all his statistical analysis that he doesn't even talk about football or the players themselves anymore. On The Couch is my favourite of the football shows, but it feels like every 5 minutes King will follow up Brown or Dunstall (talking actual football) with some bullshit graph he made up with a random assortment of numbers that seem intruiging

Remember when people used to complain about how commentators were too matey with current players and would only speak in worn out cliches? Now people don't like having stats thrown in their face.

it's more the "lab" s**t, they've gone from neanderthals to star trek, how about just some normal middle ground?

It's like when someone refers to themselves as a Dr after doing a doctorate of Geology.

eh if they have done a doctorate then they deserve to be called Dr! Chiropractors and Dentists - that is what is laughable

I agree- he's been crapping on for a few years now with a never ending torrent of mildly stimulating analysis of the game ....but..tonight he was good on 360.

Most times he gets on air he's well prepared and ready to highlight something that's Interesting.

He's the anti Alister Lynch.

His view on how the Boyd/Morris combo is beneficial to the Dogs setup behind the ball was spot on.

He's 70% good info and 30% mindless dribble.

He goes alright for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If King is the oracle he'd be taking one of the Pies, GWS or Tigers jobs soon? Oh wait he's already been at the Tigers. An absolute fraud.

Agree Mr Bo

One of the most unwelcome blokes in the AFL media. Buggar all friends except for two or three that are forced to work with him. Not liked at club
Level at all, take that to the bank.

Can we get Lily. An actual data scientist?

a91G9nA-.jpg

Not liked at club
Level at all, take that to the bank.

I have a video of him playing back in 1996 where he gave Ablett lip and the siren just went. Ablett got pissed off and wanted to go on with it but King ran to where Martyn, Archer and Stevens were congregating. Only when he was with 3 other North Melbourne players did he begin to back chat Ablett.
Says quite a bit about the bloke.

Tonight on 360 he called himself out. "I know that contested possession stats can be overrated" and he then blabbers on about contested possession stats for the next 5mins.

A graphic also popped up showing that some (and only some) of the top teams have used less players and had more playing every game, and some of the bottom teams (and only some) have used more and had less playing every game. "It's a real indicator" we are assured before reeling of more of this stat for the extensive data of the Grand Finalists of the last 2 years. Sooo...Mr Head Scientist, are you saying that sides who have less injuries and less out of form players are better placed than those with more injuries and who are dropping 3 players each week. Jeebus.

Luckily tonight we were spared the Premiership Predictor...A shiny Cartesian plane looking thingo whereby we are can figure out the mind-blowingly "who-woulda-thunk-it" information that teams who kick plenty of goals and don't have too many scored against them are probably going OK.

Tonight on 360 he called himself out. "I know that contested possession stats can be overrated" and he then blabbers on about contested possession stats for the next 5mins.

A graphic also popped up showing that some (and only some) of the top teams have used less players and had more playing every game, and some of the bottom teams (and only some) have used more and had less playing every game. "It's a real indicator" we are assured before reeling of more of this stat for the extensive data of the Grand Finalists of the last 2 years. Sooo...Mr Head Scientist, are you saying that sides who have less injuries and less out of form players are better placed than those with more injuries and who are dropping 3 players each week. Jeebus.

Luckily tonight we were spared the Premiership Predictor...A shiny Cartesian plane looking thingo whereby we are can figure out the mind-blowingly "who-woulda-thunk-it" information that teams who kick plenty of goals and don't have too many scored against them are probably going OK.

ahhhh the old " Premiership Predictor " I love how he rolls it out like its revolutionising footy statistics.

Last edited:
His Diamond Demons tactical explanation was borderline trolling. The diamond aspect was totally irrelevant to what he was showing (two Melbourne half backs pushing into the square to help out at contest) and only formed due to the set up of the Bulldogs forwards. It's not exactly paying huge dividends for Melbourne anyway like others have such as the Weagles Web, Clarkos Cluster, Lyon Cage, etc.

His Diamond Demons tactical explanation was borderline trolling. The diamond aspect was totally irrelevant to what he was showing (two Melbourne half backs pushing into the square to help out at contest) and only formed due to the set up of the Bulldogs forwards. It's not exactly paying huge dividends for Melbourne anyway like others have such as the Weagles Web, Clarkos Cluster, Lyon Cage, etc.

needs a fancier name, like the pitchfork.