Behaviourz2Outcomz
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor
Jul 15, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fox Sports FC
Anyone heard their album (The Bones of What You Believe)? It's probably in the pole position for my favourite album of the year - ahead of Arcade Fire, Arctic Monkeys, Vampire Weekend et al), which I would not have expected at the start of the year. One of those rare albums, that come along every few years, where I love every single damn song.

They are a Scottish synthpop band with a female lead singer. Not usually my cup of tea, but this works so well. If you're looking for a few samplers to try before you buy, listen to Recover, Lies, The Mother We Share.

This band was okay. Gun was a great song and it reminds me so, so vividly of going down to Geelong and Freo nearly rolling the Cats with a depleted side. Lovely orange afternoon; freezing night.

Now they're pretty banal. The music is basically pop but they masquerade as some indie kings (and queens – Lauren might call me a sexist). It's really thin and gets boring so quickly. They were a hype meme band but have now basically rolled on. Chuck them on the lineup with Mumford & Sons as pointless bands somehow conning their way to arena shows. Their lack of growth is scary and the fact people care about them after basically making the same sound 25 times is odd.

Lauren is also a massive ******* pain the arse. Arrogant and barely even talks with or acknowledges her bandmates and her whole life and the band's prominence is weirdly propelled a lot by her batshit boring "this guy said he wants to marry me! Look at these dickheads sending me messages!" facebook posts which I think just about everyone is hating.

Times like these I really wish Carles was still blogging and doing The Lamestreamer.

I just think they're neat. They've put out two terrific, memorable albums with little filler. Could not give a s**t what they're doing on facebook or what their singer is saying in interviews.
The biggest issue I have with Chvrches is that they're so dull in the fact their music could be made by a million bands. It's pretty average and unimaginative. It's basically a tried and tested formula and they've come in at the right time. They'll never progress. They seem destined to die a death of popularity but they're somehow headlining outdoor tents at Coachella.

Silent Alarm appears to be talking about some sort of tech startup or new app or something, so I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I love both chvrches albums.

I would describe each album as definitely pop and I can't imagine any band member or fan would disagree, and I don't know much about the band members or how often they speak to each other, maybe if I did, I would like them less.

Gonna be so cut if they don't progress or if they die a death of popularity, man, these are things I care about. I mean if one day they stop making music I like? Man, what'll I do? Just listen to the first two records? Thousands of other bands? * that noise.

This band was okay. Gun was a great song and it reminds me so, so vividly of going down to Geelong and Freo nearly rolling the Cats with a depleted side. Lovely orange afternoon; freezing night.

Now they're pretty banal. The music is basically pop but they masquerade as some indie kings (and queens – Lauren might call me a sexist). It's really thin and gets boring so quickly. They were a hype meme band but have now basically rolled on. Chuck them on the lineup with Mumford & Sons as pointless bands somehow conning their way to arena shows. Their lack of growth is scary and the fact people care about them after basically making the same sound 25 times is odd.

Lauren is also a massive ******* pain the arse. Arrogant and barely even talks with or acknowledges her bandmates and her whole life and the band's prominence is weirdly propelled a lot by her batshit boring "this guy said he wants to marry me! Look at these dickheads sending me messages!" facebook posts which I think just about everyone is hating.

Times like these I really wish Carles was still blogging and doing The Lamestreamer.

No s**t. Usually I can get over a s**t person if their music is good enough, but their music is mediocre and she is that much of a irritating bitch that they're real far down in my bad books.

I'm not abusing anyone's taste, I'm just talking about music from a point of view I like. Ultimately even if you can like a song without liking the person, I still think it's valid to put the creator and their art together. And I think a band progressing is sort of important but it's really important when you make music this one dimensional – done before, done in every song.

They are just s**t ******* boring and s**t lame. They remind me of like Two Door Cinema Club or Allday, really dull music with pretty minimal... something...

Outstanding, underrated thread Portmanteau

Ya know, I'm not really feeling this. But oh well.

I'm not too fussed about Lauren's SJW stances, but it is a touch concerning for me that she's moved to NYC away from the other band members. Big timing? Will the band become untenable?

Here's a fun fact: I have seen CHVRCHES successfully complete one of three gigs I have seen them play.

Laneway Adelaide 2014: on a 42 degree sweltering day, one of their synthesisers blows up 15 seconds into their first set. They play an acapella Mother We Share and that's it.

Laneway Adelaide 2016: Full set. Fantastic, really fun. Clearest Blue is such a banger.

Tempe, Arizona last month: Coming off Coachella, Lauren had a throat issue and her voice went after three songs. Dok sang a couple of his songs, and We Sink. Probably a half gig.

You wouldn't bloody read about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love them. Pretty sad to hear that Lauren rates herself that much, hadn't heard anything like that til now. Edit: I've heard about some feminism stuff, but that's heaps of females these days, plus she's a pom so I expect a bit of whinging.
Edit Edit: Ok I've watched a few videos and done some reading. She really is deluded, insecure and self important. Still like the music though.

DOn't care that so many of their songs sound similar, the subtle differences are enough to keep me entertained, but I don't really take music that seriously anyway.

Anyway, love this song, probably second favourite after 'we sink'

Last edited:
I know I've said this a thousand times before, but Lauren Mayberry is probably the worst vocalist in pop music currently, at least technically.

This is a load of wank.
No, it isn't. Her range is woeful, and her live performances are either extremely pitchy or lifeless - I was dragged to one of CHVRCHES' shows early this year, and it was terrible. She sounds decent on record because of production - even then, there's a certain blandness to her.

Saw them at Falls this year- they were absolutely immense.

Most people I spoke to put them in the top 3 shows for the festival.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back