Injury Alex Pearce broken leg

Remove this Banner Ad

Fremantle defender Alex Pearce has undergone surgery after fracturing the tibia in his right leg in Saturday’s game against Richmond at Domain Stadium.

Fremantle general manager of football operations Chris Bond said Pearce was operated on Sunday after scans confirmed the initial diagnosis.

“With injuries such as a fractured tibia, the medical advice in the first instance is that Alex have a non-weight bearing period of six weeks,” Bond said.

“After that six week period, we will be better placed to provide a time frame for Alex’s return but he will miss the rest of the season,” Bond said.

“It’s extremely disappointing for Alex, his family and our members and supporters but he is a very resilient young man and will respond in the best possible way.

http://m.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2016-05-23/alex-pearce-injury-update

You should be one of the very few who will be ecstatic with the news that its just a break then.
Well, they're both terrible injuries. I thought a break was worse than a muscle tear :(.

Many factors;no cut and dried rule about which is going to necessarily be better or worse.
Could be back to his best for next season if all goes as well as it can.

Current feels about this year:

incredulous.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think an upper break is often worse than a lower break, an upper break requires more force and is associated with more tissue injury. An upper break they have to nail the whole bone, whereas a lower one has less metal involved sometimes
No reason why he shouldn't be able to do a full preaseason, all going well

After doing a bit of research Pearce could be back to full training somewhere between 8-12 months all depending on how bad it is as mentioned above.

It obviously wasn't as bad as Barlows break which took near on 12 months so I reckon Pearce could get a substantial amount of preseason in to him and be ready to go Round 1.

Cheers
Dr. Beetz

A lot depends on type of break and area.

Lower break worse than upper. Clean worse than compound. Barlow was the best kind and it took him a good 12 months. I thought it took him about 18 months to be back to hi's best.
Yeah I think I'd prefer a clean fracture over a compound fracture .....

Fractured tibia's you never come back quite as good from. Unfortunately he may lose some pace and agility but I'm sure he'll still be very good for us.

His shins are the issue for me, they were having trouble handling the load without the extra swelling and scar tissue so conditioning those might mean he can't spend the gym time getting gorilla huge.

Must admit, that was my thinking too. I suffered from shin splints terribly in my more active sporting days so I know a bit about them and yes, it did came to me that it could really slow his recovery down. But there are many many factors, it could also make no difference at all - may even help as there will be no load on his legs for some time.

Fractured tibia's you never come back quite as good from. Unfortunately he may lose some pace and agility but I'm sure he'll still be very good for us.

This is often the case, but usually its more so with more traumatic type breaks and/or where there is significant tissue damage etc.. Given his age, if it's relatively 'clean' (which we don't know much about), there's also a good chance that in a year or two he'll be as good as ever. But yeah, there is that possibility.

Last edited:
This is often the case, but usually its more so with more traumatic type breaks and/or where there is significant tissue damage etc.. Given his age, if it's relatively 'clean' (which we don't know much about), there's also a good chance that in a year or two he'll be as good as ever. But yeah, there is that possibility.

Gary Rohan from Sydney had a shocking broken leg didn't he?? Looks like an absolute jet again and no one can catch him - took two years though.

Gary Rohan from Sydney had a shocking broken leg didn't he?? Looks like an absolute jet again and no one can catch him - took two years though.

Ronan also had some on going issues too ISTR, can't remember if they were related, but yes, his was pretty bad and now it seems right as ever. It can go the other way too where it never quite gets right, depends on lots of factors, but gut feeling is that AP will be OK.

I really don't want to speculate too much on what I don't know, but I'm telling myself that if he can do a solid even if modified pre-season, maybe looking at 'full strength' early 2017 season, then that would be best case. But who knows? It could take significantly longer than that, or it could go smooth as silk heal quickly and he's up and running for a full 2017 pre-season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back