News Past Players Thread

That I guess was during his time coaching?
No, Bobby Davis was coach, about 1967, iirc. May have been 1966. Primary school started grade 3 at Joey's back then. He was like a giant.

Courtney27

Rookie
Mar 12, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Hi everyone,

I am undertaking a PhD and am on the search for some data, specifically player positions. Most of this info is easily accessible however, finding player positions for players drafted in the early-mid nineties and who either didn't play a senior game or didn't play many has proven quite difficult!

I am using quite broad positional categories (mid, fwd or def) and while many players are moved around various positions I am looking for the position where they spent the majority of time. Please see below a list of Geelong past players who I need positions for. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Courtney

(Sorry if I have posted in the wrong section!)

Anderson, Brady
Brockman, Leigh
Corrigan, Paul
Finocchiaro, Tim
Lamond, Stuart
Lowther, Daniel
McKay, Joel
Barzen, Chris
Burke, Cameron
Devlin, Stewart
Donald, Darryl
Donnellan, Byron
MacLean, Peter
O'Reilly, Stephen
Ryan, Denis
Tomlinson, Glyn
Willison, Leigh
Benjamin, Adam
Crowe, Damian
DiRosa, Robert
Helmers, Dean
Innella, David
Lewis, Paul
McMurray, Matthew
Osborn, Andrew
Power, Gerrad
Robertson, Corey
Steinfort, Carl
Tanner, Grant
Ugrinic, David

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
Wasn't he a North Melbourne player ?
He did play reserves for Geelong in 1996 after being drafted at the end of 1995. He returned to WA and won the Sandover Medal in 1997, before ending up at North Melbourne, where he did manage to play senior football.

"A small, burrowing rover" according to the Encyclopedia of AFL Footballers.

Sep 22, 2000
Calling Wambulances for the Geelong whiners
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ford
He did play reserves for Geelong in 1996 after being drafted at the end of 1995. He returned to WA and won the Sandover Medal in 1997, before ending up at North Melbourne, where he did manage to play senior football.

"A small, burrowing rover" according to the Encyclopedia of AFL Footballers.

Ah yes he did.Is he the one who went on to be a personal trainer and one of his clients was Elle MacPherson ?

Hi everyone,

I am undertaking a PhD and am on the search for some data, specifically player positions. Most of this info is easily accessible however, finding player positions for players drafted in the early-mid nineties and who either didn't play a senior game or didn't play many has proven quite difficult!

I am using quite broad positional categories (mid, fwd or def) and while many players are moved around various positions I am looking for the position where they spent the majority of time. Please see below a list of Geelong past players who I need positions for. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Courtney

(Sorry if I have posted in the wrong section!)

Anderson, Brady
Brockman, Leigh
Corrigan, Paul
Finocchiaro, Tim
Lamond, Stuart
Lowther, Daniel
McKay, Joel
Barzen, Chris
Burke, Cameron
Devlin, Stewart
Donald, Darryl
Donnellan, Byron
MacLean, Peter
O'Reilly, Stephen
Ryan, Denis
Tomlinson, Glyn
Willison, Leigh
Benjamin, Adam
Crowe, Damian
DiRosa, Robert
Helmers, Dean
Innella, David
Lewis, Paul
McMurray, Matthew
Osborn, Andrew
Power, Gerrad
Robertson, Corey
Steinfort, Carl
Tanner, Grant
Ugrinic, David
These are the ones I know off the top of my head:

Brockman, Leigh - DEF
Corrigan, Paul - DEF
Finocchiaro, Tim - MID
Lowther, Daniel - MID
McKay, Joel - MID
O'Reilly, Stephen - DEF
DiRosa, Robert - MID
Steinfort, Carl - MID
Tanner, Grant - MID

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Ah yes he did.Is he the one who went on to be a personal trainer and one of his clients was Elle MacPherson ?
Apparently!:- http://www.afana.com/netpaper/oct20-58082.html

General Silliness
*Brady Anderson, the 1997 West Australian Sandover Medallist who played 27 AFL games with North Melbourne in an interrupted three-year career until the end of last year, has apparently become personal trainer to supermodel Elle Macpherson. 26-year-old Anderson, who moved to England early this year to further his new-found profession in the fitness industry, got the job on the recommendation of one of Elle’s personal assistants, who hired Anderson herself soon after he set up his new base in London.
Anderson’s appointment continues a healthy connection between Elle and the Kangaroos. Another former Roo, Wade Kingsley (twin brother of Geelong player Kent Kingsley) who was on the club’s senior list in 1997-98 but never played a senior game, is employed in the lingerie division of Elle’s business empire and a third brother has also worked for the company.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
On a somewhat more serious note, I'm puzzled to see that the Geelong website still lists Tommy Smith as having played senior football for the club:-
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/club/history/every-player/r-z

Player Debut Round GFC Career Span MTCHS GLS Selection Order
Tommy Smith 1919 9 1919 6 0 268
Herbie Smith 1920 2 1920-21 32 0 271

I was advised by Col Hutchinson a couple of years back that Tommy (Smith) in fact did not play at all, and the 6 games previously attributed to him were played by Herbie:- (Tommy (Thomas ‘Gunboat’) Smith (Geelong) did not play. He was confused with Herbie Smith, who played 1919-21 (born 27/08/1895))

I forwarded the email to e.g. the people behind AFL Tables website and the Footy Works program, and posted news of the revelation on the Football Statistics board. I'd have thought the club would have been advised by Col, perhaps they were and never got around to making the necessary changes. Hopefully someone here will follow this up.

Denis Marshall....one of the best we've had. A great player.

You know who the old farts are when they can remember players of Dennis Marshall's era.

Not that I can remember that.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I heard the David Ugrinic get a mention on SEN today ... apparently fell of a cliff and broke his jaw while at Geelong ... always wondered why he never played a game. P13 in 1993 ..if we drafted someone now with P13 and they didn't play a game ... Id say the members would be after blood.. we must have been a bit more relaxed back then while Gazza was kicking goals.

Would he be our biggest fail? since the inception of the draft?

God Mode

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2011
Mount Olympus
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bulls
I heard the David Ugrinic get a mention on SEN today ... apparently fell of a cliff and broke his jaw while at Geelong ... always wondered why he never played a game. P13 in 1993 ..if we drafted someone now with P13 and they didn't play a game ... Id say the members would be after blood.. we must have been a bit more relaxed back then while Gazza was kicking goals.

Didnt we draft some guy with pick 1 called Steven hooper or something? Played something like 20 games. Id say he'd be the worst.

Steven Hooper has to be right up there, if not, No.1 biggest fail!! No.1 Draft Pick in 1990, and IIRC our only ever No. draft pick.

Didnt we draft some guy with pick 1 called Steven hooper or something? Played something like 20 games. Id say he'd be the worst.
You just beat me to that by a minute!!

Back