Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

Remove this Banner Ad

samass03

Senior List
Oct 13, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Being a lifelong Bulldogs fan and living in Ballarat when news dropped that they where forming a partnership I was pumped!

I have no idea about actual numbers but I can say that it looks really succesful for 3 main reasons

1.) when I was younger at footy training no one would ever be wearing a doggies jumper, maybe 1 or 2 if you where lucky per age level, last week I coached some Auskick and the number of kids wearing doggies jumpers was more then any other club! I was so proud looking at these little tackers running around wearing the red white and blue!

2.) the local media is backing the dogs we have articles from roughy in the local paper and the radio goes on about all the local community things the dogs do! There's always something to do with the doggies in the paper especially with the idea of hosting an AFL game here in the future!

3.) and most subjective but I remember up until this year whenever I was Going to the footy and planning to have a few beers, I'd catch the train. If it was against a vic team dogs fans where always outnumbered on the Ballarat train until it got to bacchus marsh/Melton. Now I see dogs fans everywhere in Ballarat!

Great job by everyone at the club very successful venture from what I can see!

Being a lifelong Bulldogs fan and living in Ballarat when news dropped that they where forming a partnership I was pumped!

I have no idea about actual numbers but I can say that it looks really succesful for 3 main reasons

1.) when I was younger at footy training no one would ever be wearing a doggies jumper, maybe 1 or 2 if you where lucky per age level, last week I coached some Auskick and the number of kids wearing doggies jumpers was more then any other club! I was so proud looking at these little tackers running around wearing the red white and blue!

2.) the local media is backing the dogs we have articles from roughy in the local paper and the radio goes on about all the local community things the dogs do! There's always something to do with the doggies in the paper especially with the idea of hosting an AFL game here in the future!

3.) and most subjective but I remember up until this year whenever I was Going to the footy and planning to have a few beers, I'd catch the train. If it was against a vic team dogs fans where always outnumbered on the Ballarat train until it got to bacchus marsh/Melton. Now I see dogs fans everywhere in Ballarat!

Former Ballarat boy who grew up in the Saints zone. Hated the Saints and could never understand why Melbournes western most club was not locked into Ballarat. Natural fit that I think will last many years after Norf have moved to Tassie.

I'm a Melton/Bacchus boy having lived in the area most of my life (did live in Kings Park and Kingsville also at times)

I'm really happy with the call for the club to do this, it makes sense and helps with the Western branding imo and it's not that far out to Ballarat anyway (I went to uni out there FWIW), jump on the train or jump on the Western Freeway should only be a little over an hour.

It's good to hear the locals are buying into what we are doing, what concerns me in the Western Suburbs though is the numbers Hawthorn seem to have generated off the back of their premiership success, many kids in the Brimbank and Wyndham areas seem to wear poo and wee I've noticed over the last 2-3 years.

I quite like Ballarat - have friends there, went to JazzFest last time around, would even consider moving there - plus there's a decent craft brewery just near Soldier's Hill.

In regard to the train comment- they practically have to run another train now when the doggies play- I live in Bacchus and it's always pretty crowded before it gets here, it's crazy by the time it leaves Melton. The bus incident after the Bulldogs v Carlton game was good proof of that

I'm a Melton/Bacchus boy having lived in the area most of my life (did live in Kings Park and Kingsville also at times)

I'm really happy with the call for the club to do this, it makes sense and helps with the Western branding imo and it's not that far out to Ballarat anyway (I went to uni out there FWIW), jump on the train or jump on the Western Freeway should only be a little over an hour.

It's good to hear the locals are buying into what we are doing, what concerns me in the Western Suburbs though is the numbers Hawthorn seem to have generated off the back of their premiership success, many kids in the Brimbank and Wyndham areas seem to wear poo and wee I've noticed over the last 2-3 years.
Any club that wins three flags in a row is going to pick up young supporters everywhere. In fact they deserve it although it pains me to say it. s**t (and wee) happens.

But fear not. Our time is fast approaching. There will be 6yos wearing WB jumpers in places we've never penetrated before.

I quite like Ballarat - have friends there, went to JazzFest last time around, would even consider moving there - plus there's a decent craft brewery just near Soldier's Hill.

Don't feel the cold, Mof?

I went to a wedding there recently.

If there's a colder place on the Australian mainland, please don't tell me where - do not want to know! :fire::fire:

Yeah Ballarat is crazy cold haha

I disagree with the Wyndham comments I feel the doggies have a firm grasp n that area I have family there and always see doggies number plates and lots of Bulldogs merchandise in shops!

North have no market share in Ballarat considering the amount of time spent here

"It's beautiful weather in ballarat! " as my uncle used to say when we melbourne western suburbanites were freezing. The partnership is amazing. Dad grew up in ballarat with his large family. Moved to western suburbs of melbourne after he married. Central point to catch up with melbournians and ballarat relos was western oval. From there a passion was born. 3 generations down now. I reakon they've organised it from the heavens

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Personally I love the cold weather and look forward to making the road trip to Ballarat. Great move dogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah mate. Don't knock Melton, some good down to earth people out that way
Not at all brah, but South is an absolute shithole (where I currently am renting as it was all I could get at the time)

West, Westlake, Brookfield and Kurunjang s**t all over it. Much better, quieter neighbourhoods.

Yeah Ballarat is crazy cold haha

I disagree with the Wyndham comments I feel the doggies have a firm grasp n that area I have family there and always see doggies number plates and lots of Bulldogs merchandise in shops!

North have no market share in Ballarat considering the amount of time spent here

That's good to hear. Wyndham is fast growing area and it is good to hear we have developed good support there.

Have strong family connections to Ballarat: all of dad's family came from there and my mum spent her entire childhood in the Ballarat Orphanage.
I hate the cold weather and Ballarat is certainly cold. It will require packing plenty of Bulldog scarves, beanies and hoodies for my mob to venture there. :huh:

I moved to ballarat after finishing school when my sister lived there. Spent 12 months there just struggled finding a decent job so moved back home..absolutely loved the place especially the nightlife (21arms ;)).

My folks moved up there about 5 years ago so im pumped we are playing a game or 2 up there

I'm going to play devils advocate... We clearly have a pretty big advantage playing at Etihad. If we take games away from there to play somewhere else is that the best thing for the team?

I get its a good move for the club but just wanted to see what others views are

Don't feel the cold, Mof?

I went to a wedding there recently.

If there's a colder place on the Australian mainland, please don't tell me where - do not want to know! :fire::fire:

Ok, I'll tell you! Gordon, highest point between Ballarat and Melbourne. In recent weeks, any vehicles we've left outside overnight (we're west of Ballarat), have had solid ice on windscreens, and doors frozen shut. In Gordon, your car would likely look like an automotive Popsicle!

My kids all travel to school in shorts and no jumpers, even though Melb-bred, as am I. Living here, you adapt... Sort of!

Cheers Bemoreboyddog. Yeah very easy to get there by train as well. Vline to Ballarat from Southern Cross. What would be the best station to get off at Ballarat near the ground.

The only option really is Ballarat station itself. Hopefully shuttles will run on game day. There may be a local service already in place, but rare as hen's teeth on weekends atm, anywhere in Ballarat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back