Discussion The VFA premierships debate - should they be recognised as elite level premierships?

How many tier 1 premierships have Geelong won?

• Total voters

Jimmy Russell

Debutant
Mar 11, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-09/afl-knocks-back-cats-bid-for-extra-flags

Geelong's bid to the AFL to count VFA premierships with VFL/AFL premierships was officially knocked back yesterday.

However, the AFL commission has decided to give each club the option to decide how they recognise their own history.

This brings us back to the debate over which premierships should count and which ones shouldn't count.

It's mainly supporters of interstate clubs arguing that premierships won since the AFL began in 1990 are the only ones that should count since that year is recognised as the league becoming a national competition, and no longer being a state league.

Supporters of Victorian clubs argue that premierships won since the league formed as the VFL in 1897 should be the ones that count, just like the current league governing body does, meaning that premierships won in other state league competitions such as the VFA, SANFL and WAFL shouldn't count.

The Geelong Football Club and it's supporters are the only people that are willing to push for VFA premierships won prior to 1897 to count too, since the VFA was apparently the highest Aussie Rules league in Australia at the time.

If Geelong and their supporters got their wish, then this would open the door for Port Adelaide to push forward their case to have their SANFL premierships counted, as it's argued that the SANFL and VFL were both relatively even prior to the formation of the national competition.

Do you think that VFA premierships should be recognised as tier 1 premierships?

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-09/afl-knocks-back-cats-bid-for-extra-flags

Geelong's bid to the AFL to count VFA premierships with VFL/AFL premierships was officially knocked back yesterday.

However, the AFL commission has decided to give each club the option to decide how they recognise their own history.

This brings us back to the debate over which premierships should count and which ones shouldn't count.

It's mainly supporters of interstate clubs arguing that premierships won since the AFL began in 1990 are the only ones that should count since that year is recognised as the league becoming a national competition, and no longer being a state league.

Supporters of Victorian clubs argue that premierships won since the league formed as the VFL in 1897 should be the ones that count, just like the current league governing body does, meaning that premierships won in other state league competitions such as the VFA, SANFL and WAFL shouldn't count.

The Geelong Football Club and it's supporters are the only people that are willing to push for VFA premierships won prior to 1897 to count too, since the VFA was apparently the highest Aussie Rules league in Australia at the time.

If Geelong and their supporters got their wish, then this would open the door for Port Adelaide to push forward their case to have their SANFL premierships counted, as it's argued that the SANFL and VFL were both relatively even prior to the formation of the national competition.

Yes

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just a desperate flag grab. I mean until this year the Geelong Football Club supposedly didnt even recognise their VFA success in the club's premiership grandstand (which houses the club museum)

Success won in a different competition should not be recognized under the jurisdiction of the VFL/AFL. If the clubs want to hang some art in the changing rooms that is their prerogative.

Yes.

But they should not be recognised as VFL/AFL premierships.

But it shouldn't stop at the VFA. The AFL (as the governing body of the sport, not as the organiser of the league) should do far more to recognise football history outside of its own domain.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
Clubs should certainly recognise all flags they've won. They still aren't relevant to this competition though.
Agreed. Familiarity with the history of your club is very important but the relevance of a small state based league in the 1800s is dubious at best. I realise there are still numerous imbalances in the way the AFL is run but its a lot closer to a level playing field than what has historically been the case.

i'm staggered anyone actually cares whether flags won 130 years ago "count" at a competition level
I'm staggered at the obsession over the concept of "counting". "Counting" to what?!

I picked up a coin and flipped a head. Does that "count"? Not if I'm trying to design an aircraft carrier, but if I were conducting an experiment of probability it would. Depends on what you're talking about!

Anything "counts" when in the right context.

Last edited:
This. In my humble opinion the only flags that truly matter are the ones won in the ACTUAL AFL era.
On one hand nothing ever "matters" and yet everything "matters" in the right context.

If the AFL rebranded itself as the ZAFL next year, you would probably think the 2012 AFL flag somewhat "mattered". Nothing special happened in 1990 apart from a new name and a new logo.

SilentHunter_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Terra firma
AFL Club
Sydney
On one hand nothing ever "matters" and yet everything "matters" in the right context.

If the AFL rebranded itself as the ZAFL next year, you would probably think the 2012 AFL flag somewhat "mattered". Nothing special happened in 1990 apart from a new name and a new logo.
Well one major difference is that the competitiveness of the national competition increased. I mean the current 'accepted premierships' goes back to 1897 ffs. Like who actually cares who won back then?

Well one major difference is that the competitiveness of the national competition increased.
The competition did not become more national in 1990 than in 1989.

I mean the current 'accepted premierships' go back to 1897 ffs. Like who actually cares who won back then?
Who cares who won last weekend?

Who cares who won last year?

Who cares who won in the 1990s?

Who cares who won in the 1930s?

Who cares who won in the 1890s?

Who cares who won in the 1850s?

Whoever chooses to.

1897 to the present only.

One league. No Sanfl no Wafl no VFA.
At an 'AFL as the league' level I completely agree with you.

The problem is the sport and history of Australian football, including the histories of most current AFL clubs, actually extends back outside of the VFL/AFL.

There is now no overarching body to oversee Australian football as the AFL gobbled up the ANFC in the 1990s.

So at an 'AFL as the keeper of the code' level I would say the AFL has done a poor job at acknowledging the sport outside its own domain. Most of the time if you didn't know any better you'd think the sport was invented in 1897.

Back