Player Watch Liam Holt-Fitz (Academy Prospect)

Remove this Banner Ad

Liam Holt-Fitz's Nightcliff U18s won the flag on Saturday morning. He's an interesting player and I am not sure what to make of him just yet. I thought he was in the top couple of players on the ground, which is a solid achievement considering he can still play another couple years in this age group. But I am not sold on his ball-use just yet. Hopefully his inclusion in these elite programs will iron out a few of these issues before his draft year. He is a competitor and takes the game on so there's definitely plenty to work with.

Was Isiah Farrell-Nelson playing for Nightcliff?

Australia's Asian population is booming and in the next 100 years is only going to get bigger, MUCH bigger.

It's a huge potential market we could get into, the first step to that is getting more asian kids playing footy at grass roots and professional level.

In my experience the asian kids all preferred soccer over footy as they didn't want to get hurt, and fair enough, but footy really hasn't connected with their demographic yet.

The majority of the discussion has been around indigenous kids, but they're already very well represented, in fact over-represented based on their percentage of the population... While there are over 3 times as many Asian-Australians than Indigenous Australians and the only Asian footballer I can think of is Jon from the bulldogs.

It's definitely an area the AFL needs to expand into in particular.

It's true that Asian kids usually play soccer but that's more a parental thing, the not wanting their kids hurt factor.

I'm half Asian and my dad frowned on me playing Aussie rules, preferring soccer. I sucked anyway but played soccer fairly well so it all worked out lol...

I won't put my boy through that though and if he wants to play our game I'm all for it. He's got the Bruce Lee genetic mix going (one quarter German) so hopefully he'll be similarly athlethic. Born in the year of the dragon too!

On Lin Jong, I've been introduced to him a couple of times at weddings I attended with my ex partner as they're of the same Chinese community from East Timor... Solid unit up close! I'm only 175 though so all AFL players are impressive units to me.

Needless to say if my boy shows any proficiency I'll move to Kew lol. Knowing the AFL however this Academy business will probably be gone by then. Who knows what the game will look like in 15 years..? Too much reactionary decision making.

Liam Holt-Fitz's Nightcliff U18s won the flag on Saturday morning. He's an interesting player and I am not sure what to make of him just yet. I thought he was in the top couple of players on the ground, which is a solid achievement considering he can still play another couple years in this age group. But I am not sold on his ball-use just yet. Hopefully his inclusion in these elite programs will iron out a few of these issues before his draft year. He is a competitor and takes the game on so there's definitely plenty to work with.

I say the Idea of having Acadmey he will have Elite Program so he can have best chance to Improve on stuff like that

Was BoG in the U-16 Opening Game

The wrap from U16 National C'ships match. Barkly duo doing us proud!

Final score U16's: NT Thunder 5.12.42 defeated by NSW/ACT 12.16.88.

Goal kickers for NT - Mummery, Green, Cameron, Kossack, Stevens.
Best for NT - Holt-Fitz, Green, Althouse-Cooper, Brown, Jungfer and Blake.

13427949_624927800996914_4468976535480679715_n.jpg

13432342_624927810996913_1849344602614629762_n.jpg

The guy with the guns is an overage player, NT is allowed to have a few. He suffered a broken collarbone in the 3rd quarter, pretty bad apparently.
From supporting the weight of his arms?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt it because he was already in an AFL system. Alot of indigenous kids live or board in Darwin from communities obviously for education and sport purposes. Tiwi kids have been doing it for decades because topographically they are so close to Darwin. It is one of the main reasons Tiwi island football is so well developed and known.

Last edited:
I doubt it because he was already in an AFL system. Alot of indigenous kids live or board in Darwin from communities obviously for education and sport purposes. Tiwi kids have been doing it for decades because topographically they are so close to Darwin. It is one of the main reasons Tiwi island football is so well developed and known.

Okay. Thanks for the Info and Going by that. It should not. Where they thinking of him Coming to Melbourne as well at 1 Time?

Witts was 15. The same age as the kid we're discussing, when we took him in to the academy program. Keeffe may have been even older from memory.

It's incredibly difficult to identify talent any younger than that imo.

Couldn't sign NSW scholarship players before they turned 15 from memory and Witts was signed as soon as he reached that age.

As far as I know;

• he is first and foremost part of Collingwood's NT Zone.
  • he is moving to Melbourne to further his education first, football second
  • MGS falls under the Sandringham Dragon Zone, but that relates to those who are boarding at MGS or live in the Bayside region
  • my understanding LFH is living/moving to Kew
  • The region of Kew zones him to the Oakleigh Chargers
  • The Chargers are part of Collingwood's zone.
This whole zoning thing is new to me also, but it relates to Indigenous and Multicultural kids, and kids who come from non-traditional football backgrounds. EG: A promising basketballer who has turned his back to concentrate on basketball, only to be coaxed into returning to football and being part of an AFL zoned Academy.

Any team can grab kids from alternate sports as Cat B rookies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back