Player Watch #25 Tom McDonald - In to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Not that it means much but Brett Anderson said today on SEN that the Swans are interested in McDonald.

You'd be bending us over, but we'll take Tippett and Heeney and your first rounder. Can't say fairer than that.

Tom's kicking has me miffed. On the weekend he hit some nice short passes under pressure in defence, but he's still prone to the 1 or 2 killer turnovers which results in an easy goal cause we are suddenly out numbered in D50. He'll try get around a tackler or be running out of the backline and tries to hit a long target which either falls short or skews to the opposition.

I'm sure he is being instructed to do this but its the kind of error we've been stamping out the last few years. It's so costly and in my head I feel they tend to occur in the first half of games but could be wrong.

Be interested what people at the games think about it? Do we cut him some slack when he is starting an attack from deep defence or is it something he needs to stop/improve?

Tom's kicking has me miffed. On the weekend he hit some nice short passes under pressure in defence, but he's still prone to the 1 or 2 killer turnovers which results in an easy goal cause we are suddenly out numbered in D50. He'll try get around a tackler or be running out of the backline and tries to hit a long target which either falls short or skews to the opposition.

I'm sure he is being instructed to do this but its the kind of error we've been stamping out the last few years. It's so costly and in my head I feel they tend to occur in the first half of games but could be wrong.

Be interested what people at the games think about it? Do we cut him some slack when he is starting an attack from deep defence or is it something he needs to stop/improve?

At times it seems the team is coached to feed the ball to him off half back, which is probably just a result of him being such a good runner and being able to find space, for mine Salem wasn't working hard enough when he was in the side, as he should be that distributor. Tmac is a great defender, but some of his decision making was as if he was Gary Ablett Jnr, and that is where he has let himself down.

Interesting development in Roosey presser about McDonald's manager knocking back a contract.

Does this mean he is overstating his worth or do we not rate him as highly as some of our other players out of contract? I really rate Tom but hasn't hit the heights we all expected him to after a stellar 2015. In saying that I still think he's a very important player to build our defence around for the next 3-5 years.

Trade him for a 1st rounder, then use that and our 2017 first for Hurley.
No way.

McDonald is only 23 and already an excellent key defender, he'll end up better than Hurley.

Either get Hurley to commit as a DFA or just forget about it because we don't have anything to trade with that we would want to part with.

No way.

McDonald is only 23 and already an excellent key defender, he'll end up better than Hurley.

Either get Hurley to commit as a DFA or just forget about it because we don't have anything to trade with that we would want to part with.

I will change my name to DezIsGod and buy you premium membership for a year if TMac ends up better than Hurley. Hurley is much stronger in the contest, a better competitor and a better decision maker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hurley is stronger and smarter
Better kick, better mark and better decision maker
Hurley can play on anyone but Mcdonald can't
Hurley can also go forward, Mcdonald can't

Hurley cannot play on anyone, he gets burnt by taller forwards much like McDonald.

McDonald is a better intercept mark and spoiler than Hurley, also quicker, offers more rebound and can run all day.

Nathan Jones was a shocking kick but he developed his foot skills (which were worse than T-Mac's), no reason T-Mac can't improve in that area. His mistakes mostly come from trying to be too aggressive, he's 23 and played 93 games there's a massive amount of improvement left in McDonald.

Hurley going forward is irrelevant, we are after defenders not forwards.

There's absolutely nothing to suggest that McDonald won't end up better than Hurley, it's not guaranteed but completely idiotic to say no chance.

Even as a Melbourne supporter I tend to overrate our players but there's no way McDonald will be as good as Hurley. He can and does play on anyone and more often than not he completely takes them out of the game. McDonald is a fantastic defender but his disposal and decision making will always keep him from being elite.

If Hurley decides to leave Essendon there would not be a single team who wouldn't want him including us.

Roos and co have been pretty consistent in stating we won't pay players more than what we think they're worth. If that means they leave to seek more coin, so be it.

I wouldn't be happy to lose McDonald, but what we're doing (as a club) is right, IMO. We've now got a lot of contracts to look after, and pay a lot of good players fairly. No longer can we be forced to play players more than market value for their services.

I'm all for players seeking as much value as they can get. But if you do that, you also might not get team success. It's a choice.

We might not ever offer the team success of course. But that's the gamble I guess.

Roos and co have been pretty consistent in stating we won't pay players more than what we think they're worth. If that means they leave to seek more coin, so be it.

I wouldn't be happy to lose McDonald, but what we're doing (as a club) is right, IMO. We've now got a lot of contracts to look after, and pay a lot of good players fairly. No longer can we be forced to play players more than market value for their services.

I'm all for players seeking as much value as they can get. But if you do that, you also might not get team success. It's a choice.

We might not ever offer the team success of course. But that's the gamble I guess.
Plus who's he kidding? He ain't leaving the team his brother plays for. I reckon he thinks that he's top 5 at the club and should be paid accordingly but I'd have Jones, Viney, Gawn, Hogan, Vince, Jetta, Watts all ahead of him and on more $. Hunt has probably been better than him this year!

Plus who's he kidding? He ain't leaving the team his brother plays for. I reckon he thinks that he's top 5 at the club and should be paid accordingly but I'd have Jones, Viney, Gawn, Hogan, Vince, Jetta, Watts all ahead of him and on more $. Hunt has probably been better than him this year!
He is worth more than Jetta, and watts has less runs on the board.

Tom McDonald is very good player and one of the first picked each week.

On the other hand, he has a bit of the figjams about him and I wouldn't give two shits if he left. Especially if it meant keeping Hogan, Watts, Kent and Jetta

Don't get too far ahead of yourself, he is still our best defender and he is worth alot of money, just not quite as much as he wants

My feeling is he will re-sign with us, seems like he is backing himself in to play better footy and maximise his deal. At his age and with the new CBA coming in, this contract is his best chance to maximise his earnings. I'd be surprised if he left.

Since when is Hurley so much better than TMac?

Very similar players, Hurley a better kick and stronger.

TMac a better athlete and mark.

TMac has been slightly down this year, but has been very good the last two years and mostly good this year - he's getting caught out a bit with the defence and ball movement we're implementing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back